Starvation Mode Question

Options
For YEARS, Im talking for about 10 years now, I mostly ate only one meal a day (DINNER) during the week. On the weekends I would eat 2 sometimes 3. Yeah, I know, that was horrible for me to do, but I just couldnt wrap my brain around eating more than once a day.

Here's my question. Ive been diligent for the past 2 weeks about working out AND eating SEVERAL times a day. A little something for breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Most of the time I dont get near my 1200 calories a day (anywhere from 800 - 1000) and never mind when I exercise, I have even more credit for calories.

Since my routine for so long has been once a day eating, can my body still go into starvation mode if Im eating like 4 times a day now?

Deena

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No, I eat at least 6 times per day! I stay within my calories, and keep my body energized and fueled!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing if you've been eating well under 1200 calories per day for years, you are already in starvation mode.

It's not the number of times per day that you eat that will keep you out of starvation mode, it's the number of calories you consume.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    For YEARS, Im talking for about 10 years now, I mostly ate only one meal a day (DINNER) during the week. On the weekends I would eat 2 sometimes 3. Yeah, I know, that was horrible for me to do, but I just couldnt wrap my brain around eating more than once a day.

Here's my question. Ive been diligent for the past 2 weeks about working out AND eating SEVERAL times a day. A little something for breakfast, a mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Most of the time I dont get near my 1200 calories a day (anywhere from 800 - 1000) and never mind when I exercise, I have even more credit for calories.

Since my routine for so long has been once a day eating, can my body still go into starvation mode if Im eating like 4 times a day now?

Deena
    I just posted something similar on someone else post.
    You're not eating enough. You need to be consuming about 1400-1800 cals depending on your activity. If you're working out you probably are in the range of 1500-1800 cals a day. So you're still in starvation mode as far as I'm concerned. I'm there as well because I've been struggling with this. So today I'm consuming about 1500 cals and going to try this for about a week to see what happens. Your body is holding on to its fat because it doesn't know when it'll eat again. Hope this helps some.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you body needs, you body will start to store calories for prepare for starvation so the answer is yes possibly it can. Try to stay close to your BMR as much as possible.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing if you've been eating well under 1200 calories per day for years, you are already in starvation mode.

It's not the number of times per day that you eat that will keep you out of starvation mode, it's the number of calories you consume.

This.

Your problem now is pulling yourself OUT of starvation mode. Jump-start that metabolism and let your body know that you're going to start fueling it properly now. Eat all your calories, including your exercise ones. You may gain at first until your body gets used to the change, but then it will get with the program.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories and spread them throughout the day, a little something every 3 hours if you can, it will speed your metabolism, but ONLY if you're eating over that 1200 mark! Even more so if you exercise and eat back enough to AT LEAST have your net over 1200 .
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    yes if you are under eating even if you spread it over 4 meals you body will think it is starving - mostly because it is - it will also go after the most expensive tissue in terms of energy use first for food - muscle - and hang on to the fat for grim death - so your muscles will start to break down and you`ll get fatter

eat ... 1200 per day - and one blow out meal a week
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    There are several schools of thought on this and I won't bore you with mine. You probably should aim for getting close to 1200. Definintely eating multiple times a day is better because it keeps your body fueled. Maybe just adding a few more calories to your already diligent multiple meals would help. I don't stress too much about the starvation mode idea if I'm eating multiple times, not feeling hungry and losing weight.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    If you are eating under 1200-1400 calories at day you ARE starving yourself. Sounds like your body has been that way for a while, which will make it store more fat and to get rid of that fat you have to fuel it to burn it...YOU HAVE TO EAT. Eating back your exercise calories is a must as well. Not all of them because it is ok to fluctuate but you have to eat them back, you burned them and your body needs that fuel!!

Here is another poster that posted something similar and I really understood. I hope this helps

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly
  • SadieAnnL
    SadieAnnL Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, am so glad to see people discussing this. I've been on 1200 cal per day since Feb and am not shifting any weight, so depressed today and binged on everything illegal - cheated for the first time since start of Feb as had just lost 1 kg despite working out 2 a week, eating all the right things.... perhaps my body is in starvation mode with 1200?? Had thought of leaving out carbs and going 80 to 90% protein perhaps that'll help. Well good luck to you, hope your diet/exercise routine works out. Feel so bad now having had the choc and cake!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Hi, am so glad to see people discussing this. I've been on 1200 cal per day since Feb and am not shifting any weight, so depressed today and binged on everything illegal - cheated for the first time since start of Feb as had just lost 1 kg despite working out 2 a week, eating all the right things.... perhaps my body is in starvation mode with 1200?? Had thought of leaving out carbs and going 80 to 90% protein perhaps that'll help. Well good luck to you, hope your diet/exercise routine works out. Feel so bad now having had the choc and cake!!

You might need to increase your calories a little bit to jump-start your metabolism. I definitely do NOT recommend going to 90% protein -- your body does need some carbs to function properly. Don't do something like that without consulting a doctor or nutritionist.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

hey great topic, i wanted to add my thoughts and experience....so gals can learn.

I ate miserably for about the same 10 years as you and only putting in about 500 cals a day......because I wanted to look like a model. I worked out to the point of exhaustion.

Long story short - I have been fighting my way back from this for SEVERAL YEARS....I'm 5'9" about 145 (medium frame size) and 35% body fat :(

I look fine but I'm all fat - why.....because I starved (for vanity), lost muscle and wrecked my metabolism...sad story alot of us have it.

Now, it's about building it back, the muscle and the proper habits.....gained some at first when I had to actually eat again....now working on adjusting it all.

On top of that - I did it all right during the peri-menopause time.....wreaking havoc an a body that was already losing muscle.......

Get back to good habits - warm wishes my friend :heart:
  • toalwaysbeme
    Options

Actually no, Ive been eating way over 1200 calories, I guarantee it. More like 2-3000 a day. I ate anything I wanted but I did eat salads and veggies too.
  • toalwaysbeme
    Options
    DAMN.. I had a feeling you were all going to say that. I just got used to wrapping my brain around eating more than once. Even now that Im getting used to eating really healthy and more times a day, Im not hungry by the end of the day, Im not tired, not dizzy, no headaches and actually have a lot of energy that I havent had in years.

So now I have to eat more food than I want???? UGH and OOFA.
  • rpatterson5
    Options
    I did the same thing, when your watching your foods so close it's hard to reach your calorie goal. It didn't work at all for me especially if your working out. Your body is hoarding anything you do eat. Have you tried adding a few apples throughout the day? Munch..all day but on healthier things, fiber bars etc or add a few shakes in there of shakeolgy?
  • toalwaysbeme
    Options
    I have SO much to learn. It was easy 25 years ago when I was in the Navy and before my son was born. Yes I have been eating like this for years, but everything went haywire after my hysterectomy and diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

Yes I actually do eat quite a lot fruit during the day too now.
    The biggest thing Ive changed is I eat a lot more fish, no more pizzas and cut pasta out quite a lot. Oh and I dont slather everything with butter, oils and dressings.

Please keep the suggestions coming. While its depressing to make myself eat more calories, I know I need to now. I just dont know how to get my brain to agree with my mouth.
  • Kyokai
    Kyokai Posts: 11
    Options
    I am far from being an expert on losing weight, but I do think it also depends on each person's body. Some burn more than others, depending on the person - eating 1200 a day (Of which I do, I have tried to eat more then that and it made me sick) as long as you are eating those 5 small meals a day, I honestly see no harm. I have been gradually trying to add apples for a treat, mangos, etc to bring up my calories per day. But the highest I ever got and I did it for a week - was consuming 1400 to 1500 calories per day and I was sick every day of it - and that was eating healthy, making my meals at home with fresh salads, fruits, fish and lean meats.

If my body is in a starvation mode - it's really tricking me. LOL
  • SadieAnnL
    SadieAnnL Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for input - am upping my calories to about 1500 per day and will give that a try. Why does the programme put you on 1200 a day then? How long does the body take to respond to come out of "starvation mode"? I know it will differ from person to person, but generally? I have been starving so long, I really need to learn to eat more in general and of the right things only. Would starve for two months and then binge for a week and drastically go back "on diet" then binge when no weight lost...... Thats why this message board is so great, I have discovered I'm not the only one out there on a yo-yo diet!!! :)