HELP! how much CARDIO??

Options
I have lost about 20 LBS and am looking to tone at this point. I have been reading a lot of helpful things and the one thing I keep reading is that if you are on the 'leaner' side you should be less focused on cardio and more on strength/weights. I dont think I am doing TOO much cardio (enough to start burning muscle) but I have no idea!
Currently I am doing about 40-60 mins per day 5-7 days a week of cardio and an added 40 or so of strength training.
Any one out there have an idea??

Replies

• Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just an idea but try Zumba or taebo... Both works for me to tone up loose skin...
  • tabf1980
    tabf1980 Posts: 9
    Options
    Pilates or yoga is a great way to tone up. I love, love, love pilates. Defines the waist and makes lean muscle. I think if you switch up between cardio and weights on alternating days that should do it.
  • tabf1980
    tabf1980 Posts: 9
    Options
    Zumba is the greatest. I am hooked on that class at the gym!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You do the 40min of strength the 5-7 days as well or one day or?

If you're doing it the 5-7, just make sure on consecutive days not to do the same muscle group.. but I honestly wouldn't recommend 7 days of strength training to someone.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    A trainer at the gym I joined is meeting with me for the first time this weekend to write up a strength training program for me. Strength training burns more actual fat at a faster weight. Several trainers that I have spoken with all recommended Cardio 3 to 4 times a week and to do them at different levels to get the heart beat working at different rates, not just a steady rate.

I have also learned that when doing cardio your muscles actually hold more water. Your body reacts to the cardio by storing water in the muscles to get through the long cardio sessions. In strength training, you are working muscles that are going to firm up and the sweating you do is burning fat, not just working off water weight.
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just an idea but try Zumba or taebo... Both works for me to tone up loose skin...

I do Zumba for cardio...not to tone but the good thing about it is it does work both ways. However, there is a specific disc in the box set designated for toning & sculpting.

Good luck!
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    You do the 40min of strength the 5-7 days as well or one day or?

If you're doing it the 5-7, just make sure on consecutive days not to do the same muscle group.. but I honestly wouldn't recommend 7 days of strength training to someone.

I have been doing about 3 days of strength and JUST last week started to add in Pilates after cardio.
    I was VERY focused on the cardio aspect... but I think i need to switch gears at this point....still DO some cardio but focus on the tone.
    How many days of strength do you think?
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I forgot to add that I agree with Jen's comments about the strength training. That should be three to 4 days a week but working different muscle groups if you do it two days in a row. Your muscles need recovery time of 48 hours. So, you want to rotate which muscles you work each time. For example I work on legs, thighs one day, hips and back another day, and shoulders and arms another day. It makes for an easy to remember rotation.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas and info!! :flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have been doing about 3 days of strength and JUST last week started to add in Pilates after cardio.
    I was VERY focused on the cardio aspect... but I think i need to switch gears at this point....still DO some cardio but focus on the tone.
    How many days of strength do you think?

I do 3 as well, and if i had someone to do it with, i would probably do 5. I don't mess around with light weight though. I do lower reps and higher weight, and i love it. You could do total body all 3 days, or upper one, lower one, and total the third, or if you're doing more you could do the split switching between days. There's loads of options, that's what I like though.