Increasing your running speed?

Options
I'm about finished with the Couch to 5k running program..but I've been doing the whole program at a 5.0mph jog. I want to increase my speed to a 6.0mph run eventually, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any tips?

Replies

• jara04
    jara04 Posts: 10
    Options
    You need to do some interval training, however i recommend that you have a larger running base before starting :D

Nice running!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i suggest adding one day a week where you do one of these two runs (i alternate them each week)

1. speed work. do mile (or half mile) sprint repeats with 1/2 (or 1/4) mile rest jog/walks. The number of repeats depends on your weekly mileage
    2. tempo run. do one run that includes a warm up and cool down then the mile(s) in the middle are sustained almost-sprint pace. Length is about half of your long run of the week.

runnersworld.com has more info on these runs. I've been doing them and have shaved 15 min off my half marathon times so far
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just start doing it!! If you feel comfortable running at 5mph, try 5.2. Once that gets comfortable, go up to 5.4 and so on. I started running intervals walking at 3.2mph and running at 5.0. Now I'm walking at 3.5-3.8 and running at 6.0-6.4 comfortably. Fast, really, for me is 7... if I were to REALLY push myself, my fastest would probably be 8 but I've never tried more than about 7.5. I've gone from 5 to 6 in a couple months of only running once a week. You can definitely do it!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi, i run, but also ive been doing walking and lots of it and cycling, my speed has increased, since doing the extra stuff, but ive been doing the running the last 2 months. ive noticed my speed of walking has also increased as i can walker farther now in less time, so i do a bit extra:smile:
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Options
    Do you do any other form of exercise? Cross-training, intervals, resistance training can all help. I started doing spin, in addition to bi-weekly 5K runs. Not only did spin class help with my shin splints, but it helped me to shave more than a minute off of my average mile time. I can do a 5K in 28 minutes now. My first 5K, in November, took me 32 minutes.

Good luck. I loved the Couch 2 5K program!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Hey fellow runner! I managed to increase my speed from 5 to 6 within a couple months, but it does require a bit of additional training. I use tips from www.active.com.

Form is extremely important when it comes to speed. You should run with your head straight without moving it much (your body will naturally tend to go where your head faces), shoulders relaxed, arms parallel to the ground (a lot of people tend to stride inwards with their arms), hips underneath your shoulders (meaning, don't bend forward, unless you're running up a steep hill, and even then keep your head and back straight), jaw should be relaxed.

Also, increasing your strides will increase your speed. Although my fiance and I step at the same pace, as a man, he naturally takes larger strides than I do, so I have to focus on taking larger strides to keep up.

Don't try to run a 6mph the whole way. Increase your speed gradually. Run 5 min at that speed, then come back to your comfort level. After a couple weeks, run 10 minutes at 6mph before coming back to the original speed. And so on. ;)

I forgot to mention, that you should also cross-train (bike, walk, swim), so you don't exert your muscles. Doing strength training for your legs will help a lot as well.

Keep up the good work, hon!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you are still planning on running 3-4 times a week (as in C25K) I would say you could try this (it's roughly the workout pattern I follow- adjust as fits you)

Workouts:
    Tempo - 15-25 min- This is increasingly one of my favorite workouts- I run it in quarter mile splits. Start at your comfy speed, each .25 mi increase your speed a bit until you are running as fast as you can sustain for the .25mi. (I start at 5.5, 6.0, 6.7, 7.5, 6.7, 6.0, 5.5, 5.5 - just to give you an idea).
    Interval - 25-30 min (increase 5 min every 15 min of Long run)- Sprint 30s, Jog 1-2min, Walk 30s. Repeat (or find interval workout you enjoy)
    Long Run- Add 5 min each week to your previous time- run at your "comfy" pace

And if I'm up to a 4th run, I just go out as far/fast as I feel like, sometimes its short/fast, sometimes longer/slower, sometimes its slow and short!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You should fill out your profile. Anyway, running takes practice. I guess 5.0 is about a 12 minute mile or something like that, so three miles is about 36 minutes. When your treadmill's incline is set to 0.0, your running pace is about 12:31 seconds when it comes to the road. If you put that treadmill on a 1% incline, you'll take that pace to an 11:44 pace on the street. The next time you run on the treadmill, incline it to 1%. When you feel somewhat comfortable at doing this after a few weeks, kick the speed up to 5.2. In addition to running, keep logging your calories, keep motivated, and keep losing weight.
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    I like that! I am cautious about doing too much too fast as I feel like I've been very guided with C25K up until this point. But I think I can add in some interval runs where I'm going at a faster pace. Thanks for the feedback.
  • dlynn08
    Options
    I already run at a 1% incline. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I like that! I am cautious about doing too much too fast as I feel like I've been very guided with C25K up until this point. But I think I can add in some interval runs where I'm going at a faster pace. Thanks for the feedback.

You can also look up 5k training programs- I just go from one training program to the next- I enjoy having my workouts be guided a bit!
  • dlynn08
    Options

You can also look up 5k training programs- I just go from one training program to the next- I enjoy having my workouts be guided a bit!

Any that you would suggest?
  • dlynn08
    Options
    Do you do any other form of exercise? Cross-training, intervals, resistance training can all help. I started doing spin, in addition to bi-weekly 5K runs. Not only did spin class help with my shin splints, but it helped me to shave more than a minute off of my average mile time. I can do a 5K in 28 minutes now. My first 5K, in November, took me 32 minutes.

Good luck. I loved the Couch 2 5K program!

I do elliptical on my "off" days.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Running at an incline is great- just becuase it prevents shin splints. I started at a 5.0 and am now up to a 6.2. Up it by .2 every week. I run about 3 times a week. I can run up to a mile at 6.0 without dying now. Just up it every week little by little and you will be surprised at how far you can go!
    Another trick to up your time and run is interval training. I walk 3.8 for 2 minutes, then sprint b/w a 7.5 and 9.0 for a minute, walk 3.8 for 2 mintues, sprint for one, so on and so forth. Before you know it, you have gone 1.5 miles and burned a ton of calories.
    Another tip is suicides. A lot of football players use this and cross trainers. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    You should fill out your profile. Anyway, running takes practice. I guess 5.0 is about a 12 minute mile or something like that, so three miles is about 36 minutes. When your treadmill's incline is set to 0.0, your running pace is about 12:31 seconds when it comes to the road. If you put that treadmill on a 1% incline, you'll take that pace to an 11:44 pace on the street. The next time you run on the treadmill, incline it to 1%. When you feel somewhat comfortable at doing this after a few weeks, kick the speed up to 5.2. In addition to running, keep logging your calories, keep motivated, and keep losing weight.

I do the 1% incline on the treadmill as well. It definitely helps when race day rolls around!
  • dlynn08
    Options
    Running at an incline is great- just becuase it prevents shin splints. I started at a 5.0 and am now up to a 6.2. Up it by .2 every week. I run about 3 times a week. I can run up to a mile at 6.0 without dying now. Just up it every week little by little and you will be surprised at how far you can go!
    Another trick to up your time and run is interval training. I walk 3.8 for 2 minutes, then sprint b/w a 7.5 and 9.0 for a minute, walk 3.8 for 2 mintues, sprint for one, so on and so forth. Before you know it, you have gone 1.5 miles and burned a ton of calories.
    Another tip is suicides. A lot of football players use this and cross trainers. I hope this helps! Good luck!

That is a great tip!! Thanks!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Um... 1% incline is just the beginning. It will go to 2%. We're talking about increasing speed here. I run on the treadmill between a speed of 7.6 to 8.6 at an incline between 2% to 4%. On my lazy days, I will run at a 6.0 and incline it up to 7%. People that don't push themselves on the treadmill waste a good tool when it comes to increasing speed.
  • dlynn08
    Options
    Um... 1% incline is just the beginning. It will go to 2%. We're talking about increasing speed here. I run on the treadmill between a speed of 7.6 to 8.6 at an incline between 2% to 4%. On my lazy days, I will run at a 6.0 and incline it up to 7%. People that don't push themselves on the treadmill waste a good tool when it comes to increasing speed.

Well...I'm just starting out...so I don't think I'm wasting a good tool quite yet.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    bump to remember the interval advice!