hangover diet food

Options
after a few too many gin and tonics last night i woke up to a bacon sandwich, followed by a supersize burger king for lunch all soaked down with full sugar cola!.. not a good day for the diet.

im guessing most people like myself try and eat a lot to cure the hangover, drink sugary drinks for energy etc, or even just have a huge craving for something you know is very unhealthy!

has anyone got any low calorie hangover foods? and i do realise that an apple would probably cure my hangover better than anything .. but who really wants an apple when your hungover?! so TASTY TASTY and SATISFYING foods for when your hungover?!

I feel if i do this every weekend my diet will get nowhere, dont really want to stand on the scales tomorrow morning....

Replies

• sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I eat low sodium turkey bacon and an egg on a whole wheat tortilla wrap! Delicious and does the job
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    In general, I need carbs to help with a hangover and I avoid dairy because it makes me sick. Usually, for breakfast I'll have a bowl or cereal with soy milk and some rice cakes with peanut butter. I'll also drink diet soda to settle my stomach. If I'm feeling adventurous, some whole wheat pancakes with some ingredient subs (no oil and eggs, just pumpkin and soy milk) and sugar free syrup is quite fulfilling. Just resist temptation and avoid greasy foods.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Eat eggs and whole grain toast and maybe some frit. Eggs help flush the toxions from the liver due to the drinks. What you ate after would make someone ill.. WOW
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    French toast would be filling but not horrible if you don't go nuts with syrup. If you are craving salty, I would agree with turkey sausage or bacon. If you are carving carbs, there are decent options that can be baked instead of fried.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell ya about the diet food for a hangover. Food doesn't seem to help my hangovers. I would say to try & sweat it out...and get some fresh air!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    WOW...Nothings new under the sun, as My Mother would say. What I was doing 25 years ago is still being done today! I would say the more things change the more they stay the same. LOL A little friendly advice of what I learned from being on that alcohol, dieting "roller coaster..." Get Off QUICK! Alcohol, like sodium holds weight/water...on you, it is a "diet" killer; with alcohol, it has nothing to do with the calories or nutrients, its the other things it effects. I used to do everything so I could get in My drinks on Saturday...but no matter what you do calorie and nutrition wise drinking to excess will cause you to gain weight. Sorry to tell ya, in the end you may end up frustrated because you work HARD all week long adhering to a "diet" and ONE Day wipes that Hard Work OUT!

By the time I was 30, I was 100 lbs. over weight...pissed at Myself and the world for something I had within My Power to control...My food and alcohol consumption! I was trying to "hang" with My "friends" who didn't have "Eating" problems, I didn't realize that they didn't give a dayaam whether I drank or not, I didn't realize that if I could have drank 2 drinks and stopped I would have been FAR better off. Also, Nobody ever told Me that a "drunk" woman just looks BAD and a Fat Drunk Woman just looks SLOPPY...learned that the hard way by looking at pics and video of Myself at events when I was younger.

Have a good time, BUT remember this, when we associate alcohol and food with rewards, good time... you are setting yourself up for a rude awakening 5, 10, 15 years down the road for health issues, obesity and alcohol issues, Just like so many of the "older" people You see on MFP and other sites; don't you see the Issues "We" are trying to over come in our 30's and 40's and 50's...the SAME stuff YOU are doing NOW; YES, "WE" started that way...doing just what YOU are doing NOW!

THIS is My "Suggested Hangover Food for THOUGHT" this Day. I HOPE it Helps!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I don't drink but I don't think you would have a hangover if you just didn't drink to get drunk. I think I would drink in moderation and solve the problem that way and save your calories
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but I always want buffalo wings when i'm hungover...it's the vinagery, salty deliciousness! I grilled up a boneless skinnless chicken breast dipped in franks red hot or crystal hot sauce and have alittle more for dipping. If I need to i'll wrap it in a whole wheat wrap with some veggies, but the spicy always kills my hangover. I think it's cause I'm mexican (:
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Vodka is pretty low in calories and it will sort your hangover right out!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I had a big discussion about this last week with my friend. Usually, a 'fry up' does it for us. That's eggs, bacon, sausage and beans and toast..

But seeing as I'm watching my cals, I decided on a 'grill up'! :laugh:

So, poached egg, low fat sausage, low fat bacon grilled and beans.

The discussion was if the fry was the cure, or the actual ingredients - the grill worked a treat! :love:

I think you've got to find your substitute. And there always is one! Just as there is one with most foods :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am always INCREDIBLY hungry so I figure if I can fill myself up with a ****load of healthy food then that will sort it out. I have 2 eggs, 2 whites scrambled with about 100g ham in there. Then I cook an absolute HEAP of broccoli so my plate is pretty much overflowing. Estimate about 3 cups. Whole meal is only 400ish cals and WILL fill you up!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Check into Milk Thistle its an herb that cleanses the liver. Take 500mg in the morning before going out.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank for the advice everyone! some good ideas there :) luckily im feeling better today... but rather than my 1.5 pounds a week i try to lose i have only lost 1 :) .. i blame the burger king! haha

thanks
  • ryanne10
    Options
    Kids pedilite is great to get over any hangover. It always makes me feel like i didnt drink at all the night before. its hard at first to get use to the taste but i mix in some sugar free drink powders to help. Feeling this way helps me start of with healthy eating in mind instead of grabbing the greasey food which acutally makes me feel like crap after.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I have found that if I drink a regular size gatoraid before bed the night I drink, I won't have a hangover at all. food wise- protien is better after drinking than carbs (contrary to pop belief) because carbs(depending on what kind) and alcohol both are turned into sugar and yes the carbs absorb the alcohol, but that just makes it take longer to metabolize. Google is a wonderful tool sometimes lol... :happy:
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    all I can say is there is no "diet" when im hungover lol as my best friend and I say "calories dont count on days your hungover" haha but thats also because its very rare for us!

i dont let 1 day ruin my whole week but i dont really concern myself with following a strict diet, i just eat comfort food that makes me feel better, then im back to the grind the next day!
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    LOL I'm with you, a huge serving of bacon so all that grease can soak up the alcohol.... I crave salt the morning after...

That's why I don't drink so much!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Something good and fatty so those lipids can grab up the loose -OHs. A few years ago I came up with this recipe: I sliced tofu about 1/2 thick, coated it in flour, salt, pepper, and whatever else my hungover self was craving, and fried it in a pan with about a 1/4 inch of olive oil. I thought it was really good and the combination of oil and protein helped drag me out of my stupor. I'm a vegetarian, but I imagine you could do the same thing with chicken or fish.

EDIT: not super low cal, but I ate fewer calories of this concoction than I would have going to Taco Bell.
  • nlhawthorne
    Options
    Hangovers are the worst. I like a wholemeal bagel with some low fat spread. Stodgy enough to soak up the booze but still feels "healthy" enough to get my day started on a good footing calories wise.