pls help! protein vs carbs vs fat and so on

Options
Ok, so I have reached my goal weight wise:happy: and now I really need to shred/tone. I do cardio about 4-5 times a week and weights 3 times a week as well. Im thinking about cutting the cardio a bit ( ? ) and doing more weight work/ core work. Im having a hard time figuring out a healthy protein/carb/ fat ratio. I understand that I need to up my protein and lower my carbs, but to what extent?
I want to tighten everything up ( especially my tummy but I know that will come when it comes:mad: ) and built lean muscle. Im just a little lost.
Any help would be appreciated:heart:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No more then 50% of your calories should come from Carbs, then split protein and fats. Just make sure you are eating good fats and lean proteins.
    That would be a good starting point, then play with it a bit. Try raising your protein a bit and lowering your fats, or carbs. For a person trying to actively build muscle a bit more protein will not hurt you one bit.
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do 50% protien, 30% carbs and 20% under custom MFP settings, its works great so far and I feel like have alot less flab hanging around since Ive uped my protien:)
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh 20% fat I forgot to put
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have reached my goal weight wise:happy: and now I really need to shred/tone. I do cardio about 4-5 times a week and weights 3 times a week as well. Im thinking about cutting the cardio a bit ( ? ) and doing more weight work/ core work. Im having a hard time figuring out a healthy protein/carb/ fat ratio. I understand that I need to up my protein and lower my carbs, but to what extent?
    I want to tighten everything up ( especially my tummy but I know that will come when it comes:mad: ) and built lean muscle. Im just a little lost.
    Any help would be appreciated:heart:
    if you are at your goal weight and want to tone then you only need about 0.6 g protein/lb bodyweight, I would switch up to more intense weight training if you want to focus on building tone and defining the musculature more.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Tone is a bad word to use eventhough everyone seems to use it.

What people typically mean when they say tone is that they want well defined muscles, or going for a hard look.

You have muscle and fat. You can reduce fat to make your muscles have more pop, or you can add muscle to make them bigger.

So in reality your choices are do you want to lose fat or gain muscle.

To lose fat keep doing the cardio preferably cardio like circuit training and eating in a caloric deficit.

To add muscle eat more calories than required, very little cardio, increase protein intake, and train with heavy weights.

Only someone new to exercising can do both, and there is still some debate on that,.

Anywhere from point .6 to .8 grams of protein per bodyweight should be suficient.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Tone is a bad word to use eventhough everyone seems to use it.

What people typically mean when they say tone is that they want well defined muscles, or going for a hard look.

You have muscle and fat. You can reduce fat to make your muscles have more pop, or you can add muscle to make them bigger.

So in reality your choices are do you want to lose fat or gain muscle.

To lose fat keep doing the cardio preferably cardio like circuit training and eating in a caloric deficit.

To add muscle eat more calories than required, very little cardio, increase protein intake, and train with heavy weights.

Only someone new to exercising can do both, and there is still some debate on that,.

Anywhere from point .6 to .8 grams of protein per bodyweight should be suficient.

Well I actually would like to do both.....burn fat and build muscle:ohwell:
  • cnjbarry
    Options
    I do 50% protien, 30% carbs and 20% under custom MFP settings, its works great so far and I feel like have alot less flab hanging around since Ive uped my protien:)

I changed my protien to 50% and it took me to like a gram per lb isnt that too much?
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    Who wouldn't unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

You can get stronger while losing weight, because your muscle becomes more efficient at recruiting fibers but you can't add muscular size while losing weight.

People new to exercising and strength training typically can gain muscle and lose fat for the 1st several months, but as your body adjusts you have to pick what you want to do the most.
  • iamthepreston
    Options

I changed my protien to 50% and it took me to like a gram per lb isnt that too much?

Tough to say. By increasing protein and lowering carbs you will probably be able to lose more weight. Which is probably more what you want to do.

If you are just uping protein to try and build muscle I doubt you need that much. 40 prot 40 carb and 20 fat is a common starting point.
  • cnjbarry
    Options
    Who wouldn't unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

You can get stronger while losing weight, because your muscle becomes more efficient at recruiting fibers but you can't add muscular size while losing weight.

People new to exercising and strength training typically can gain muscle and lose fat for the 1st several months, but as your body adjusts you have to pick what you want to do the most.

ok that makes sense,
    but..... as I said I have reached my "goal" but Im still not happy with the way I look ( is anyone?) I guess what I want to do is cut fat while building muscle????? I am no longer concerned with the scale. I am 5'7 144 lbs @ 28 years old. I just thought 144 would make me look better than this:embarassed:
  • iamthepreston
    Options
    My opinion is 40 prot 30 carb and 30 fat is the way to go.