Emotional Eater needs help

Options
I just got some not so wonderful news at work. I am feeling disappointed and a little down in the dumps. I want to go home, sit my *kitten* on the couch, drink some wine and eat. I am really struggling with not letting my emotions dictate my eating habits. I have to find a way to curb my emotional eating.

2 years ago I quit smoking. I LOVED smoking. It was just the thing to take the edge off of whatever extreme emotions I was feeling. I was a closet smoker. Never really smoked around other people. Mostly just by myself or in my car.

But now I am finding that I am turning to food to help placate my emotions. Oh how I wish when I felt extreme emotion that my first reaction would be to want to work out instead of eating. I'd be a heck of a lot thinner! HA! :-)

But I guess that is why we all are here. To try to lose or maintain.

Anyone in the same boat? Anything in particular you do to keep your mind off of binging?

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yup...had one of those days also...so when I got home I decided to eat a meal rather than exercise....so now I'm sitting here indulging some rest and will get my butt up and work out in about thirty minutes.

We can move past this...and soon it'll be time to sleep it off....
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I write a fitness blog with tips that I test, and there are a few about emotional eating: www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/30tips
    Some of the tips for emotional eating, which you can find in February, are:
    -Write down what you think might be bothering you before you resort to eating, so you can think through it a bit.
    -Imagine Yourself feeling lean and feel free of anxiety.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat - emotional eater and just quit smoking 10/1/10 (and boy did I enjoy smoking soooo much!) I guess I am actually more of a resentment eater: I work full time, am a mom, am getting married soon, have a bunch of pets, and a load of responsibility. I get resentful of it and since I don't really drink and don't smoke any more and even quit coffee I have no more vices - except food.

I am working really hard to vent in the form of exercise and it's working. Some.

It's all a process. That's why we're here!
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I was super pissy the past two days and yes i did eat my feelings a little. Usually I can work through it though by allowing myself a nap, a hot shower, or pushing myself to do a fun workout.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a job interview that I had prepared for 4 days and got a bit stressed over - afterwards I really wanted to have a few beers and chill (maybe I should have) Instead, I went for an 8-mile run...

Oh, today I found out that I got the job :)
  • jazzhottie
    Options
    I write a fitness blog with tips that I test, and there are a few about emotional eating: www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/30tips
    Some of the tips for emotional eating, which you can find in February, are:
    -Write down what you think might be bothering you before you resort to eating, so you can think through it a bit.
    -Imagine Yourself feeling lean and feel free of anxiety.

Thanks I will check those out. :-)
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Another useful one: Do something you have been procrastinating (that is important)
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a job interview that I had prepared for 4 days and got a bit stressed over - afterwards I really wanted to have a few beers and chill (maybe I should have) Instead, I went for an 8-mile run...

Oh, today I found out that I got the job :)
    Well done on the work out,,, and more so ,,,, getting the job!!! Congrats on both counts!! xox
  • yeaah
    yeaah Posts: 34
    Options
    I binge when I am bored. I binge when I am sad. Heck what, I binge when I see food, and I don't even have to like it.

Today I was given a part in a play as a lousy waitress, and I just wanted to cry because I was hoping for the main part, and then I accepted an ice cream sandwhich. . . . . . Now that I am home those mom-made oreo cookies with cream cheese look very comforting. . . I hate that feeling. It's like there is NOTHING else to do to be comforted then food!! Okay, I will do my P90X workout..

AND GREAT that you quit smoking! Absolutely awesome! ANY chocolate is better than smoking.
  • canadianchickie
    Options
    Totally an emotional eater!!! The past two years has been crazy with change in my life, and I also quit smoking last year. I have always been fairly good at keeping it all under control and trying to make good choices, but alas, last August I sort of just 'gave up' and I gained weight like crazy.
    I am trying to make positive changes in my life, one of which is reading Eckhart Tolle - check it out on Oprah - and then check out some of his youtube videos. He is amazing, I have two great books of his- my favorite is The Power of Now. Personally I have really connected with it...
    The thing is, it is important to replace a negative behavior with something else that is healthy and positive, inspirational and motivating ... or what not. It is a key component of battling addiction. It is also important to deal with your emotional responses to external events, the environment, and/or people. Acceptance can be a wonderful way to help deal with emotional grievances.
    Anyway, just one of the things I am trying to do.