New and frustrated

Options
forkeeps
forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
I am just starting here because my efforts on my own have not been at all a productive as I thought they'd be. I started in January at 171-walking/running 3-5 times a week, no sodas, mostly vegetarian eating, whole grain, etc...and all I've lost is 6 pounds!! So obviously I need to track what I'm eating better to see where the real problem lies. My goal is to lose 40 pounds to get to about 131.

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Do you know how many calories you are taking in?I think tracking your food may help you see what and how much you are eating.
    Good luck!!
    jane:smile:
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a big difference since I started tracking, and I was of the opinion that I ate so healthy - and I did, but too many calories! You may find that it just makes you more mindful and that is all it takes since it looks like you are doing great with exercise.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    measure measure measure--that was one of my biggest problems I found out. I dont really know how much 1 cup is or how much is an ounce. I dont eat "bad" food I was just eating to much. but it looked like a whole lot less because it was about 1/2 of what my 6'2" football son and my husband were eating--ya well they were eating 4-6 servings of each so I was still eating double or triple portions-- my plate sure looked empty the first time I really checked out portions.
  • OR_nurse
    OR_nurse Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree, there's nothing like looking at a list of everything you've eaten in a day and saying "wow I did well" or "Holy...I'm a snacker".
    By seeing what you're consuming you're more likely to identify what problem areas you have like snacking, or over eating or having to many empty carbs in a day.
    Either way no matter how much you eat or don't eat (although I don't recommend) if you don't exercise you'll always be hitting a plateau problem.
    Write a food diary, get out for a run and stick with it. You'll push through we all have faith in you!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Tracking is key! Those calories add up in a hurry and come from places you may not consider. I tend to weigh out stuff to get as close as I can. Eating healthy is good, but portions are also key. Also, watch things like salt which can really derail weight loss. Also, drink lots of water!
  • tmendoza1045
    Options
    Hello! I have to agree with our other MFP members, tracking your calorie intake is definitely the key! Even if we aren't counting our calories, our bodies certainly are!!! I know that I was very frustrated back before I gave in and started doing what I knew I needed to. Through tracking I was shocked to realize just how many unnecessary calories I was eating a day. Now I am happy to encourage others like you, that I have lost 40 pounds in 11 weeks! You can do it too. One trick I used was to take my goal weight, use the BMR calculator supplied in our tools category and find out what I would be eating to maintain my goal weight, and I eat that! My doctor said that this is a great idea and as long as I eat a healthy portion of calories a day I am fine. I have learned from so much trial and error through the years that I have to be disciplined without becoming radical. I still eat the foods I like but in moderation and I also make sure that I drink tons of water and fill up on lots of fiber and veggies. My doctor says that what I am doing is great for my health and has taken me off half of the blood pressure medication I was on. My Fitness Pal has been the first journaling program that I have ever successfully used and I love it. I have my sister, my other doctor and some friends using it now! You have made the right decision in coming here, just be true to yourself, take it seriously but remember to have some fun. One thing I have done that's made a big difference from this change as opposed to others in the past is I kept a couple of items in my daily diet that I truly enjoy. I am responsible with my portions but I didn't give them up and it's made a big difference. I save my calorie bank throughout the day and choose whether or not the things I am tempted to eat can compete with my two favorites and if not I don't eat them I wait until I get home and then I enjoy...they are Kroger's sugar free rocky road ice cream (I eat it in a cone, a half cup serving fits perfect in there to have one scoop, and Cool Classics Mango/Cherry popsicles. I make healthy choices all day but in the evening these certainly make me feel rewarded! The other thing I do is I measure everything! I have to, I was born with eyes bigger than my stomach and if I don't know what's going in I will always be guarenteed to put more in than needed. Good luck and blessings to you! I know pretty soon you'll be reporting your success!!!