Why do still look fat?

Options
Hello everyone.I'm new here.but I've enjoyed reading all the useful points others put on. So a bit about me,I'm in my mid wenties and have now lost nearly 19kilos.I weigh 65 kilo's (144lbs) but still look quite huge compared to my friends who are the same height and weight. I am 5'5" so my BMI is not too bad at 24. My goal is 130lbs coz I look like I did when I was 180lbs. I don't have a before or after picture to show.All I know is that I want to look as lovely as others do at my current weight. i know fat distribution and body shape factor in but still.....

Replies

• bathori
    bathori Posts: 33
    Options
    It's very likely that even though you've lost a significant amount of weight you don't have any real muscle base, nor have you gained a significant amount of muscle. If you do a lot of cardio you may lose a lot of fat but your body shape doesn't really change - it just shrinks (this is traditionally called skinny fat - when someone is skinny but they have a high body fat percentage so look great clothed but look squishy in their birthday suit)

Depending on what you are doing for your goals I would incorporate some resistance training and make sure to get a good portion of lean protein at every meal and you should see an improvement on your body shape, not just a lower scale number.

Dont be scared if the scale number creeps up by a few kilos as you get results - muscle is more dense than fat so while you may weigh more you will look better.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell without pictures but are you sure you're not still seeing a 'fat girl' in the mirror. From what I hear ( I'll let you know when I get there) that can be tough to shake.
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    I'm sure it's just in your head! You've had a great weight loss! Keep in mind it's hard for us to see ourselves as others see us!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Probably you need to tone and strenghten up some more - but I too still see the "fat girl" in the mirror.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I bet if you compare photos of yourself you will see a change. Stick with the site, make sure your calories are good QUALITY calories. Eat clean, eat healthy. Lift weights - this will minimize the amount of muscle you lose as you lose weight and muscle will also burn more fat. Stick with it - your body will get to the healthiest you that it can be!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's just in your head! You've had a great weight loss! Keep in mind it's hard for us to see ourselves as others see us!

I was thinking this.

I remember when I weighed 128 pounds, and I was a tad skinnier than the picture you see in my profile, I was flat out convinced that I had a kangaroo stomach pouch. When I am overweight, yeah, that's where I gain weight. And when I had lost the weight, I didn't particularly notice that it wasn't there anymore and I would try to convince other people that it was there....
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Actually you are quite right I don't have any muscle whatsoever . I always thought first I should lose as much fat as possible then start toning up. OK I will try to do the resistance exercises and cardio to build up muscle and improve my general body structure.

Thank you very much