Is Pasta Good or Bad?

Options
I love love love loveee pasta! Pasta has a lot of carbs though and whenever I log it in my fitness pal I always end up going over on carbs! So my question is when trying to lose weight is pasta a good food to eat or bad?

Replies

• _LDM_
    _LDM_ Posts: 81
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's TERRIBLE!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    whole grain pasta is not bad...but if your watching your carbs it might still put you over. There is a multgrain pasta that I love, I think its by Barilla...in a yellow box. I also have been eating brown rice pasta, but it has about the same amount of carbs.
    Also, anything in moderation is ok....if you try to cut it out all together, you will crave it more.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Everything in MODERATION....instead of pasta being a meal have it as a side dish just a small portion.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i give up nothing i love... including cheese and pasta (feel free to check my diary, had pasta today and yesterday)
    it's all about the choices and moderation is all *S*
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have to agree, pasta is not the "BEST" choice :sad: ...but if you must, opt for the whole grain variety.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta has a low glycemic index. If you eat it with protein, it's even lower. Brown rice pasta has a high GI.
    If you eat between between 35 and 50 carbs per meal, you'll be fine.
    I have about 65 gm of whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce and my carbs are at the right level. I eat it with 3 oz of meatballs that I make with lean ground beef. The meal is filling and it gives me the whole grains I need for the day. Don't eat it with bread and I don't eat a fruit at that meal.
    Everything is bad if you do it in excess but whole wheat pasta in the proper quantity is fine.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, if you're staying within your calorie range, it won't make much of a difference if you eat pasta or not.

But for more effective weight loss, try to cut down on it a little. Or, as mentioned above, try whole wheat pasta instead. Otherwise, feel free to indulge on occasion. It's not the devil.
  • jgreene76
    jgreene76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PUT THE PASTA DOWN :).....................NO SERIOUSLY IT'S BAD NEWS
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta, Ronzini whole wheat pasta, but i do it in small portions, like 2 oz at a time, because I love pasta and this one doesnt have too many carbs and no sodium, which I like, cause I have cut back on my sodium dramatically. Instead of sauce I use petite diced tomatoes as well, again, not hardly any added carbs and very low sodium.
  • jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    Options
    Another option, besides whole grain, is Catelli Smart pasta. It has a lot of inulin fiber in it, so it doesn't spike your insulin as much as regular pasta, but it tastes and looks the same as regular pasta. I love it!
    You could also try Miracle noodles- I haven't tried them yet, but have heard they're good, and pretty much carb - free. You can order them online.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't mean to pick on this particular answer, but it bothers me how so many folks tend to give human qualities to food. (e.g. good, bad, terrible, awful, etc.) Food is food. It is not good or bad. How we prepare it and how much we eat might be "good" or "bad" for our health, but food isn't the culprit here. I understand what most people mean (it is bad for me to eat too much of ...) but it seems sometimes our attitudes about food is the problem... I would be interested in how others feel about this topic.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It depends. On how much you eat, and what else you eat.

As far as I'm concerned, a portion is about 50g dry-weight, which is quite a lot of pasta really. The kind I buy (wholewheat shells from the co-op, if any brits want to know) gives 7g of protein for that amount, which is pretty good.:D

You can bulk it out by adding a cup of broccoli.
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    Everything in MODERATION....instead of pasta being a meal have it as a side dish just a small portion.

What an awesome suggestion!!
    I'm a lover of pasta too, but I found if you can stick it out (not easy!) and cut the carbs for a day or two, the cravings diminish!! :smile:
    Good Luck, I know its not easy but I'm sure you will find a solution that works for you!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to pick on this particular answer, but it bothers me how so many folks tend to give human qualities to food. (e.g. good, bad, terrible, awful, etc.) Food is food. It is not good or bad. How we prepare it and how much we eat might be "good" or "bad" for our health, but food isn't the culprit here. I understand what most people mean (it is bad for me to eat too much of ...) but it seems sometimes our attitudes about food is the problem... I would be interested in how others feel about this topic.

I agree completely. The 'goodness' or 'badness' of a food really depends on how much of it you eat, and what else you eat.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Where is the "applause" smiley? I agree 100%.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

No it isn't.

You have to make good choices and have real portions instead of what most people are used to.

Most people think that it is really high in the glycemic index, but what most people don't know or can't quite grasp is that the GI of an entire meal is drastically reduced when you add protein. Eat pasta with extra lean ground beef instead a load of veggies...sounds counterproductive, but it certainly is NOT. It actually lowers the GI of the meal to have protein with it and makes it no "worse" or "better" than chicken breast and veggies.

I eat pasta at least once a week. This week, I've had it 5 times already. And guess what? I'm less bloated and less heavy, my clothes are looser, and I have plenty of energy. This is because my total calories have been at my goal, and my ratio of macros has been very close to goal as well.

If eaten in correct portions and in conjunction with other healthy foods in a well balanced diet, pasta can be and IS good for you.

Pasta gets a bad rap...all because of misinformation running rampant and the truth that most people just have too much of it at a time anyway...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    PUT THE PASTA DOWN :).....................NO SERIOUSLY IT'S BAD NEWS

Instead of repeating my last post, I will simply add that I have gone from 191 pounds to 138 pounds eating pasta multiple times a week...

Pasta is not the enemy...neither are any other carbs eaten in moderation in a well researched, well balanced diet that includes a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yes it has carbs, but a lot of foods do. if you want pasta, they plan it into your day. You should never completely shut yourself off from something, because it could turn around and bite you in the *kitten* and you have a pig-out on the food because you've been craving it for so long.

I say, have it in moderation if you want some. It's all about portion control.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Very well said! :drinker:
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key, but sometimes you need more carbs depending on how much your working out, so in turn it can help you shed the pounds!...i make my favorite casserole with *No Yolks* noodles...or opt for whole grain of course when making pasta meals. If pasta is something you LOVE, you def. dont want to exclude it because you will just end up missing it terribly and possibly bingeing on other things to substitute or in turn hate your diet all together and stop! Good luck to you :)