Wear and Tear on my Hair

Options
I'd like to hear what others do to give their hair some TLC. I exercise almost everyday and I wash, dry and flat iron almost everyday. Kinda rough on my color and the condition of it.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My stylist has always told me to go as long as I can between hair washings to keep it from getting dull. I try to go at least 2-3 days between washing it as long as it doesn't look gross.

That said, when I exercise I pull it back in a loose ponytail and then take it down when I am done. It seems to sop up less "grease" that way.

Also, try getting some good shampoo and conditioner. I personally like Redken Color Care. It might be expensive, but you use less of it and the bottle lasts longer...plus it simply works better than grocery/drug store shampoos, and every stylist I have ever talked to has told me to avoid anything with the word "Pantene" on it like the plague. Very bad for hair.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    moroccan oil I LOVE THAT STUFF!
  • runracer11
    runracer11 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I exercise hard almost everyday and yet only wash my hair 2x per week. I use baking soda/vinegar, no shampoo. I had the same problem (washing at least 1x day, sometimes more due to exercising) and my hair was really in bad shape. So I switched to this new routine over a year ago, and my hair is healthier than ever now. No, it doesn't look gross and greasy, lol! I just lightly blow dry any sweaty parts after exercising and it is really fine.

Keep in mind that if you do this, it takes a few weeks for your scalp to stop producing as much oil. When you wash every day, your scalp produces extra oil to compensate for it getting dried out. When you stop this, it takes a bit of time for it to react and there will be a couple of weeks where your hair is too greasy. But the end result is so worth it. Plus, my routine is so much easier now... I can exercise and just take a quick shower without dealing with my hair. It is a great timesaver!
  • Angie1215
    Angie1215 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I try to go as long as possible without washing also, usually 2 days. I like Tresemme Dry Shampoo, it soaks up the oils and makes it smell better. I like the foam better than the spray. The foam incorporates into my hair better, i feel like the spray leaves a white residue.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    Thanks for the shampoo suggestions. I thought blow drying sweaty hair would be hard on it for some reason. But if others have done so with success, I'll give it a try. Better than shampooing everyday, i guess.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My stylist has always told me to go as long as I can between hair washings to keep it from getting dull. I try to go at least 2-3 days between washing it as long as it doesn't look gross.

That said, when I exercise I pull it back in a loose ponytail and then take it down when I am done. It seems to sop up less "grease" that way.

Also, try getting some good shampoo and conditioner. I personally like Redken Color Care. It might be expensive, but you use less of it and the bottle lasts longer...plus it simply works better than grocery/drug store shampoos, and every stylist I have ever talked to has told me to avoid anything with the word "Pantene" on it like the plague. Very bad for hair.

This.

And since you use so much heat on your hair, it's wise to invest in a good heat protectant (I use this: http://www.folica.com/hair-care/hair-shine-sprays/tigi-s-factor-heat-defender-flat-iron-shine-spray), and don't flat iron/curl until your hair is COMPLETELY dry. You'll avoid so much damage that way.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I exercise hard almost everyday and yet only wash my hair 2x per week. I use baking soda/vinegar, no shampoo. I had the same problem (washing at least 1x day, sometimes more due to exercising) and my hair was really in bad shape. So I switched to this new routine over a year ago, and my hair is healthier than ever now. No, it doesn't look gross and greasy, lol! I just lightly blow dry any sweaty parts after exercising and it is really fine.

Keep in mind that if you do this, it takes a few weeks for your scalp to stop producing as much oil. When you wash every day, your scalp produces extra oil to compensate for it getting dried out. When you stop this, it takes a bit of time for it to react and there will be a couple of weeks where your hair is too greasy. But the end result is so worth it. Plus, my routine is so much easier now... I can exercise and just take a quick shower without dealing with my hair. It is a great timesaver!

So you never use shampoo??? hmmm interesting...What proportion of baking soda to vinegar
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    moroccan oil I LOVE THAT STUFF!

I agree!! Moroccan oil is amazing!! It makes my hair shine, it smells awesome and it keeps my color looking fresh!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

So you never use shampoo??? hmmm interesting...What proportion of baking soda to vinegar

I use this method as well and you don't mix the baking soda with the vinegar. You mix the baking soda with water (I use herbal tea infused water because I like how it smells) The ratio I generally use is 1TB baking soda to 1 Cup of water. The vinegar is used in place of conditioner.
  • runracer11
    runracer11 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I use this method as well and you don't mix the baking soda with the vinegar. You mix the baking soda with water (I use herbal tea infused water because I like how it smells) The ratio I generally use is 1TB baking soda to 1 Cup of water. The vinegar is used in place of conditioner.

Yes, I also mix 1 T baking soda in 1 C water and scrub my hair/scalp. Then rinse. Then I soak the ends in 1T vinegar mixed in 1 C water, which acts as a de-tangler/condition.
  • foreverstarstrukk
    Options
    Hi!

Since you wash your hair nearly everyday, I would recommend 'TIGI Bed Head Urban Antidotes Level 2 Shampoo & Conditoner.' It is a professional product so you want to purchase it from a salon or a store that employs a licensed stylist (such as Ulta) to ensure you aren't getting old or watered down product. Level 2 is referred to as 'Recovery' and is super moisturizing yet extremely lightweight. This product will reintroduce your hair to its natural softness & health. It even smells good! Win. :p

Edit: I forgot to add that since you color your hair, you can also try a color protecting shampoo & conditioner to extend your color life. I recommend Paul Mitchell Color Protect Daily Shampoo & Conditioner.

Second, after you wash your hair, you can try 'It's A 10 Miracle Leave In Product.' Spritz it throughout damp hair (but not too close to the roots) before drying. If your hair is on the thin side, spray it on your hands and then run your fingers through your hair. It is even a heat protector...save money on tons of products by using 10 in 1! Honestly, I don't know how I ever lived without it. The 10 Benefits of this leave in spray include:

1.) Repairs dry damaged hair 2.) Adds shine 3.) Smoothes & controls frizz 4.) Seals & protects hair color 5.) Detangles 6.) Prevents split ends 7.) Stops hair breakage 8.) Creates Silkiness 9.) Enhances natural body 10.) Flat iron spray & thermal protector
    Check out great reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Its-10-Miracle-Product-4-Ounces/dp/B000TKH6G2

Last, you will want to deep condition your hair about once a week since you are washing it so often. 'It's A 10 Miracle Hair Mask' is a great product to use. A tub of it will last you quite a while as you don't need very much at a time. Leave it in for 3-5 minutes and rinse thoroughly with cool water. For extra-intense deep conditioning, put the product in your hair and then place a shower cap on your head. Use your dryer on a warm - low setting on the shower-capped hair for 5-15 minutes. Heat opens the cuticle and therefor allows the product to further penetrate into the hair shaft.. Then, let it sit for as long as you want (even overnight).

For a more natural deep conditioner, you can occasionally use extra-virgin coconut oil for moisture (purchase at Whole Foods) or extra-virgin olive oil for increased shine. Awesome reviews & tips for coconut oil can be found here: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemID=68969

I suppose I should mention that I am a licensed cosmetologist, but these are just a few of my favorite products! We all have different hair, so what works for me might not work for you... what do you have to lose, though? Give it a shot. :) I used to have very damaged hair which I used to wash every other day or two. Using these products, I am able to exercise, wash my hair daily, AND have it be healthy!

Best of luck & hope I was able to help!

- s t a r s t r u k k 3 6 0
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    the baking soda/ vinegar thing is great...you can google "no-pooing" (like no-shampooing) and it will give you tons of info on it...