I'm still hungry!

Options
I'm sorry I know this topic has been addressed probably a million times but I'll ask again. Why am I so hungry? I eat all my calories in fact I have been going over here and there the last few weeks and yet I'm still hungry. I exercise at least an hour each day (and love it) and I eat very well (no processed foods or sugars), lots of salad, fruits, whole grains, lean meats and yet I am still hungry. I don't know what to do. I even tried adjusting my calorie goals but I can't do anything else with that except chose to lose only 1/2 pound a week rather than a full pound. Any thoughts?:huh:

Replies

• jennstults
    Options
    Hi! I would suggest that you eat more proteins. That is what my dr. said to do when I am hungry or drink a large glass of water. Sometimes thirst is misunderstood as hunger. Hope this helps!
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    This is a thought: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/198426-big-breakfasts-for-big-results

Also, do you always eat small breakfasts? Just looking at your diary today, seems like it might be a good idea to eat smaller meals (high protein) throughout the day. Best wishes! :)
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I second that. Drink more water and err on the side of more protein.

I think it's also about timing. I do pretty well during the day with reasonable portions and not feeling hungry. But when I stay up late (past 1am), then I start to get the munchies and I want salty foods. Pay attention to when you get those hunger spikes and see if you can either anticipate it (I drink more water as it gets later, plan ahead with a low cal snack like hardboiled egg whites or miso soup with tofu) or you can try to avoid those times (sleeping earlier would be good for me... but if your munchy times are in the middle of the day, maybe plan to be busy at that time? Walk the dog, run errands, take a nap?).
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi I've got a few suggestions after looking at your food diary. I was starving all the time too until I tried doing this. I eat 3 meals a day (300-500 calories) and at least 2 snacks (100-300 calories) and even have a night time snack if I still have the calories left at the end of the day. Doing this you are never hungry. Just choose healthy foods and snacks. Greek yogurt is great, lots of protein, most have 0 fat and very filling. Also fiber is great for keeping you full longer because it takes longer to digest. I love kashi cereals (high in fiber) and for a snack try a handful of unsalted almonds. Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water and you may even want to track your sodium intake as it looks you may be consuming a lot and this will stall your weight loss and cause you to retain water. Also by eating lower calorie meals and being consistent, your body does not think it is starving and want to hold on to calories and store fat. For example, if you don't eat much all day and then have a 800 calorie meal, your body will want to hold on to those calories next time you say eat a meal of 200 calories. Storing fat which you don't want!! Eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies too. Hope this helps:) Let water become your best friend. I have it by my side all day long. Good luck to you.
  • carcar03
    carcar03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Research the benefits of adding fiber to your diet!
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree about the proteins! I eat a protein meal bar or drink a shake almost every day as a snack. Also, on mornings when I work the early shift, I eat 4 small meals and 4 snacks per day. Pretty much I eat every couple of hours. I think spreading it out makes you feel less hungry also. I have learned that what you eat will play a large role in how hungry you feel. I have been trying to clean out my cupboards, so I have worked some junky food into my daily plans, and it has taught me not to buy that food again. It does not hold me like some foods do.
  • ErinCay
    ErinCay Posts: 3
    Options
    I definitely agree with all of the above as far as spreading food out. Be consistent throughout the day, eating at least 6 times a day, about the same each time. My goal is 1600 cal/day, so I try to have 3- 400 calorie meals, plus at least 2- 200 calorie snacks. I eat an evening snack to take meds. too. I have hardly eaten cheese or alcohol at all for the last 3 months (very hard!) I always, always eat breakfast-usually high fiber and high protein. My go to is plain Greek yogurt, blueberries, and 1/2 cup of Kashi go lean. It's very satisfying and makes me feel healthy, too. ( I know you said you can't eat yogurt, but you could try it-Greek yogurt seems to be different.) Evening snacks tend to be air=popped popcorn, with a mist of olive oil (mister from pampered chef), or veggies and hummus.
    Well, good luck. I hope that helps. I better go to bed before I want to eat again!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was also gonna suggest spreading your cals out more. I snack. A lot. I stay under my cals most of the time and I'm not starving.
  • muffintopteri
    Options
    Well I'm having a protein drink right now! After a great workout that I didn't think would happen today. I guess I don't really do the 6 meals because (and I know this sounds STUPID) mfp doesn't have two snack slots! ok so I'll shoot for more balance, more water, and more protein. Thank you all so much. :flowerforyou:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If you click the food tab, then the settings tab, you can actually edit the slots. There are six of them. I have breakfast, lunch, snacks and I added drinks to it. So if you want two snack slots, you can add another one.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I commend you for expressing your feelings. Some people just throw up their hands an quite - I've done this all my life up until now. Pretty much everything that's said here is right. You're in good hands. Stick to it and don't be so hard on yourself.

I love your car btw! Yaisse.gif
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Well I'm having a protein drink right now! After a great workout that I didn't think would happen today. I guess I don't really do the 6 meals because (and I know this sounds STUPID) mfp doesn't have two snack slots! ok so I'll shoot for more balance, more water, and more protein. Thank you all so much. :flowerforyou:

I put all of my snacks into the single snack area, no matter when I have them. I typically have breakfast, a smal snack, lunch, two-three snacks, dinner and then dessert. Occasionally I have another snack in the evening if I need to add in some calories because I'm low. And every one of those snacks goes into the same snack slot. Your log doesn't all have to be in the exact order that you eat it, as long as it's all in there. :)
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Checking out your diary, it seems some of the foods you are listing have high numbers for their calorie counts. A slice of Italian bread at 260 cals? Most bread is around 100-120 cals per slice, some less. Oatmeal at 600+ cals? These numbers don't seem right, and might be part of the problem with you feeling hungry. Also, like others said, drink more water.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I know this topic has been addressed probably a million times but I'll ask again. Why am I so hungry? I eat all my calories in fact I have been going over here and there the last few weeks and yet I'm still hungry. I exercise at least an hour each day (and love it) and I eat very well (no processed foods or sugars), lots of salad, fruits, whole grains, lean meats and yet I am still hungry. I don't know what to do. I even tried adjusting my calorie goals but I can't do anything else with that except chose to lose only 1/2 pound a week rather than a full pound. Any thoughts?:huh:
    When I first joined MFP, it took some tweaking of the numbers to get it right. I was hungry too. What I did was adjust my activity level from sedentary to lightly active. It increased my calories slightly, but it was just enough to take the edge off, and it didn't slow down my weight loss. I don't know if something like that would work for you, but I do believe that you'll have better success in the long run if you're comfortable with what you're doing now, even if it may take you a little longer to get there. A good friend of mine always used to say "Hungry minds make bad choices." I think of that every time I let myself get too hungry and then binge on junk. :tongue: She was right. Good luck!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Checking out your diary, it seems some of the foods you are listing have high numbers for their calorie counts. A slice of Italian bread at 260 cals? Most bread is around 100-120 cals per slice, some less. Oatmeal at 600+ cals? These numbers don't seem right, and might be part of the problem with you feeling hungry. Also, like others said, drink more water.

I agree after peeking at your diary some of those calorie counts are way out of whack! seems like everything with the word homemade.
    I encountered this also, so i tried playing around with the different entries and noticed a huge difference with the caloric counts.

Try keying in your food items that you eat regularly under recipes. Example your salads, as they seem way to high caloric count. or even key in your ingredients separate such as chicken quesadilla. key in as: chicken roasted-1 cup, one whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup of peppers, etc. you get the idea.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Also, I too eat every 2-3 hours and drink lots of water. I find a glass with a straw makes this much easier.