Exercise tips for folks in the "obese" categoy

Options
I think we need a thread dedicated to folks in the "obese" category where we can discuss resistance training, cardio frequency, and any other issue that obese people may have.

For example - I am not sure if I should be lifting heavy or light during my resistance training. Does the fact that I have probably 10 lbs of fat on each arm count towards my weight lifting goal? ;)

Also - should we be doing cardio 6 times per week in order to get rid of the fat and this overwhelming amount of extra pounds? I read that 6 times per week is recommended - is that only for obese people? Or, rather, only for relatively thin people who are trying to get leaner?

How about dieting - should obese people (especially those of us diagnosed as insulin resistant) be reducing our carbs? Does this change when we exercise? Do we have extra glucose and "carbs" stored in our muscles and fat stores that need to be worked out, and if so, does drinking pre or post recovery drinks thwart our fat burning loss because we have so much fat on our bodies?

Do HIIT workouts benefit an obese person? Is an obese person better off with longer duration cardio sessions?

These are just a few items that I constantly find myself pondering, and I am not sure where to find the answers.

Replies

• SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    So no one else is interested in workout tips for people who are 50+ lbs overweight? I will continue to research the areas that I want clarification on and share my findings here as I come across the info.
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    I would be very interested in more information on this. I, too, have quite a bit of weight to lose and can't afford a personal trainer so I do the best I can do at home but also wonder if I'm doing enough, doing the right exercises, using enough or too much weight, etc.

Thanks for putting this out there. Hopefully someone will know...
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I will do my best to offer thoughts. The frequency of exercise should really not be affected by being obese. The kind of exercise is a different story. If you are very heavy you may want to pursue activities that are low impact to avoid joint injury and pain.

The particular diet you choose is a subject of some controversy on MFP. Those that are insulin resistant should consider carb controlled programs. It is my assessment that everyone should watch their carb consumption.there is no biological need to consume carbohydrate and the data from controlled trails show that higher protein lower carb approaches are more successful. However, each individual is different and many people will not continue with limited carbohydrate plans
  • niknik43
    niknik43 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Thanks Robert.

I am wondering, also, what insulin resistant folks should be doing before and after workouts in terms of eating or drinking. Should we be drinking or eating something small before a workout to give us some fuel? Or, because our sugar levels run high anyways, perhaps we don't need to bother with that. And as far as recovery drinks - what would be most beneficial? Some skim milk?

I ate 1/2 banana before my workout the other day, and I had the BEST workout I've had in a long time. I think I got a little sugar high from that fruit. But, is this ok for an obese person with elevated blood sugar and insulin resistance? Surely, 1/2 banana can't be a bad thing especially before 45 minutes of hard cardio??

But if in eating that banana, I basically burned the banana and not fat stores, I'd rather have a tough workout and burn fat. :/
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    edit to remove double post
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i think that you pose a lot of great questions, although i think a lot of them (particularly the specific questions about reducing carbs, etc) should be answered by a doctor or nutritionist/dietician. i will, however, share my experience.

i fall into the morbidly obese category (5'9", 298 lbs, 25 years old) although i have no health problems due to my weight. my BP is fine, sugars are fine, no insulin resistance, etc. that being said, the only limitations i have on exercise are what i feel that i can't do, which at this point is run. i can walk, jump, swim, etc. and be out of breath but can still hold a conversation. prior to working out, i eat something with both sugars and protein - maybe a banana with a tablespoon of PB, or a protein bar. this gives me not only the carb boost i need to work out but the protein i need to sustain a hour or so of cardio plus strength training. i also usually eat right after - either more of what i ate or a protein shake. it's something small though as i usually work out after i get off work and then go home, shower, and eat dinner. i strength train 3-4 times per week alternating arms, legs, and core and make sure i get some cardio in daily, even if it's just walking.

that being said, everyone is different! be sure to check in with your doctor about an exercise program and nutrition program. my doctor gave me no limits on any type of exercise although cautioned me to watch out not to hurt myself or push myself to the point of exhaustion. she told me to eat something with carbs and protein before and after working out, but i also have no food/sugar/carb restrictions.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestion of adding protein to the carb for the pre/post workout snack. Why didn't I think of that???
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    HIIT works for anyone, but there may be issues in terms of a severely obese person doing HIIT. Similarly, strength training is a must, and will do more for fat burning than many other exercise forms. I would particularly suggest some sort of Metabolic Resistance Training, which is a combination of HIIT and weight training. It burns much more fat that long duration steady state cardio exercises. It also has the advantage of being a fairly short workout, 20-30 minutes, which reduces the likelyhood of repetitive strain injuries that are very common with long duration cardio which should be no surprise because if you workout 6x a week for 60 minutes, it will stress ligaments, tendons, and cartilage more than 6x per week 25 minutes. Again, the issue is if a person is fit enough to get through a HIIT routine. If they can, I would recommend it above pretty much all other cardio.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "severe obese" category and you can do my exercise

15 on the bike set on 10 as fast as you can go
    15 on the elliptical set on 10 as fast as you can go
    10 on the treadmill uphill set on 3.5
    20 on the treadmill jog 5.5

I do this every other day thats it, once you feel you can do more just add more to your jog
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    What exactly is "Metabolic Resistance Training" and can someone give an example of a session of this? How many minutes long is a session in this method? Is it similiar to circuit training, where you alternate cardio bursts with weight lifting bursts?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I am on my tablet right now so typing a long response is difficult. Basically Metabolic Resistance Training is a hybrid of HIIT and Weight/Strength training. When I get home I will try to answer in more detail. Try Googling it. NewfieDan is another member here who is quite knowledgable about it. There have been some post on it as well. For me a workout is about 25 minutes, sometimes more sometimes less. That would be about all I could do. Newfiedan claims 50 minutes for one of his workouts. I think that is overdoing it, and frankly I couldn't go at what I do that long.

You could google density training, complexes training, and Tabata training as they are all types of MRT. The 300 workout is a MRT routine as well, albeit a very advanced one.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I ran out of time yesterday so now I will tell you more about Metabolic Resistance Training. As I said it is sort of a hybrid of HIIT and strength training. I found out about it about 4-5 weeks ago. Tried it for the first time about 3-4 weeks ago, and have made it the major part of my workout regime for the past 2-3 weeks.

Basically there are a few ways to do it. The first is complexes, then density training, and finally Tabata Intervals.

Complexes are "two of more exercises performed in back-to-back fashion." The example Robert dos Remedios uses to illustrate this is front sqauts, push presses, and bent over rows. The number of reps each exercise would be 5-10, but the point is to complete all the repetitions so you pick a weight or exercise (you can use body weight training for this) difficulty that will allow you to do all the repetition. So you do 10 of squats, 10 of push presses, 10 of bent over rows, that is one set. Rest for 30 seconds, then do another set, then repeat another couple of times. I usually use about 8 exercises, all body weight, for this. It causes quite a metabolic disturbance which I can feel for hours after.

Density training is similar where you choose about five exercises. Select a weight where you can complete all of them for 10-12 repetitions. Perform 8 repetitions of each in a circuit fashion (going from one exercise to the next) for a specific period of time. When you reach that time (say 10, 15 or 20 minutes) You keep doing the circuit through all this, resting if you need it, but trying to keep a steady pace. Another version of this is pick a time for each exercise (say 30 seconds) work through each of them for 30 seconds pausing after you finish each exercise long enough to write down the number of repetitions then do the next until you are through them all. Rest for 30 seconds to a minute and a half, then repeat it all trying to get more repetitions the second time around. I usually use 3 exercises for this that work different muscle groups. Go through it twice, then do three other exercises using this pattern doing it twice with them. Then I rest again and either do two minutes of high intensity more cardio type exercises (burpees, jumping jacks or the like) Then rest and finish with three more exercises (often repeating some of the earlier ones) doing the same pattern followed by a cool down. I just did this today and burned over 300 calores in 24 minutes. I was completely exhausted after that. It is a great workout.

Tabata Intervals are probably the most demanding of the bunch, but the shortest duration. Warm up for a couple of minutes--I run in place. Then pick an exercise you can work at using 100% intensity. I use a squat press (often called a tabata thruster) where you hold two dumbells at your shoulders squat down, stand up, them press the dumbells over head. Lower them and repeat the whole thing. Do this as many times as you can in the interval time. Then you rest completely in the off time only to do it all again 7 more times. The interval time is 20 seconds, the rest time is 10 seconds. That makes the whole workout excluding the warm-up and cool-down, only 4 minutes. It sound easy, but if you go full out during th 20 second intervals you will find this leaves you wanting to fall to the floor gasping for breath. I usually burn 100 calories or so for 8 minutes, but remember it keeps burning calories long after you stop working out because of the metabolic disturbance this causes. The first time I did a tabata interval I didn't make it through the whole thing and was coughing and wheezing. Now I can do a whole set and although I am still exhausted by it, I am improving in my number of repetition completed. Just a note you want to chose and exercise and weight you can complete about the same number of repetitions each interval. You don't want the number to drop off majorly as you go through the 8 intervals.

NOTE, with all this you need to warm up you muscles before for a couple of minutes, cool down afterward, and remember to stretch afterward as well. Most of these, except the Tabatas will take 15-30 minutes. Some people can push longer, but I can't.

These will work for anyone, will burn lots of fat, but you need to listen to your body on how intense you can go. They will improve both your health markers for aerobic and anaerobic areas, and will do so much better than long duration steady state cardio. My resting heart rate has stayed the same even though the doctor is reducing the beta-blocker I am on which keeps my heart rate down. That tells me my resting heart rate is actually dropping since the reduction of the medication has not raised my heart rate like my doctor said it would. This is with only 2-3 weeks of this. I am looking forward to a month or two to see what happens.