Why should you get an HRM?

Options
Let me tell you a little story...

There was this woman who was sick and tired of not liking the reflection in the mirror, so she researched ways to get healthy. She decided upon the good ol' counting calories and exercising. So, she joined a gym and found a website called MyFitnessPal and was on her way to success. She started off at 217 (heaviest ever) and in about 4 months, she was 33 lbs lighter! Woohoo! But then the dreaded, evil plateau point in which she only read about snuck up on her and bit her in the *kitten*. (And it didn't have the courtesy to take a pound) She went to the gym 4-5 times a week, burned 600+ calories each time (according to her trusty machine) and ate healthy and stayed in her calorie range. So, what was the problem? She blamed the evil plateau, but she was unaware that there was a higher evil at work. It was...(*dun dun dun*)...the LYING TREADMILL!!! She figured this out because she had a hunch that it may be fibbing a bit, so she bought a heart rate monitor, and it was programmed to never tell a lie. She had been fooled into thinking she was burning 600+, but in reality, she was burning about HALF that many calories. (I know, poor her!!!) So, now that she knows the truth, her hopes are no longer shattered and she has reason to believe the plataeu will end. To be continued...

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I have started saving for one. Thanks for the info! Good luck!!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. It helps me so much, too. In some instances I was burning way more than I thought and in other cases I was burning way less. I am glad that now you know exactly what is what and you will be able to adjust accordingly. I'm sure you will be able to get over that evil plateau now! :)
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Best investment I ever made....it will rate the calorie burn to EXACTLY you....no "rough" estimate so you know what YOU are doing....I have purchased 2....one for home and one I leave in the car........REALLY worth the investment
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have started saving for one. Thanks for the info! Good luck!!

You can find great deals on ebay...I was able to find my Polar FT4 brand new in box for $49.99 and free shipping.
  • nerak3401
    nerak3401 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just bought one online and I can't wait until it's delivered! I'm sure you'll get through that plateau!! :happy:
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Too funny...I got one and it made a huge difference. It isn't a fancy real expensive one either- asks my weight, resting heart rate etc and gives me my heart rate range, and beeps when I go too high or low (Timex). I set the weight lower than I actually am just in case cause I was burning mega calories and was wondering if the thing was working properly...finally as my fitness really kicked in, the calorie burn started to lower. I won't exercise now without my trusty monitor. But now I have been told I have to "eat back" my calories. Yeah, right. I am lucky to eat 1200 sometimes.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What HRM did you get? I tried 2 and did not seem liked they worked..I did not like having to constantly push the button (and sometimes I just wouldnt register)..while I was working out....found it frustrating..
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do LOVE having a hrm. I got it for my birthday (thurs) and used it yesterday for the first time. It wasn't too far out for the excercises i did. I found the elliptical had over estimated (although to be honest it wasn't the hardest workout ive done on it, as i was just filling time before a combat classs) and the body combat class had been underestimated. so all in all its not been a huge difference...but....haivng this additional control is soo great!

and my hrm is pink....which is so cool!!
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What HRM did you get? I tried 2 and did not seem liked they worked..I did not like having to constantly push the button (and sometimes I just wouldnt register)..while I was working out....found it frustrating..

Get one with a chest strap. You never have to push a button!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM, and can't believe how wrong my calorie count was before I had it. Take for last night. My treadmill was saying I burned only 175 calories with 30 min of walking.....my HRM said 298. BIG difference!!!

I have polar brand that comes with a transmitter (chest strap) and love how it just keeps track of my HR and calories for me without any button pushing.

And it's orange, one of my favorite colors
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options

I've just bought a Polar FT40 from Amazon.co.uk (it was on a really good offer) Really easy to set up in the first instance and very easy to use. Push a button, away you go, push another button to pause - and push it again to finish your workout. Simple - if I can use it anyone can. As for registering your workout - I've not had any problems with that - seems to be very reliable. Oh, and it's confirmed that my own beloved treadmill is a :explode: Lying Piece Of Machinery From Hell :explode: telling me that I was burning pretty much DOUBLE the amount of calories that I actually am! Mind you, I still managed to loose weight - but more from good luck than good information!

Netty
  • transformwithtonya
    transformwithtonya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is so true. It is hard to gage a calorie burn for workouts not done on a machine and especially for strength training. Also, seeing the wide variances between what my HRM says and what the machine says is a real wake up. I also find that the MFP estimates are off by a lot when compared to my HRM. I won't do any workout without my HRM now. I am thinking about getting another one for the gym at work, just so I don't have to pack and unpack it everyday.
  • transformwithtonya
    transformwithtonya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is so true. It is hard to gage a calorie burn for workouts not done on a machine and especially for strength training. Also, seeing the wide variances between what my HRM says and what the machine says is a real wake up. I also find that the MFP estimates are off by a lot when compared to my HRM. I won't do any workout without my HRM now. I am thinking about getting another one for the gym at work, just so I don't have to pack and unpack it everyday.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I bought a Sportline Duo for women. It only came in one color (navy blue) and you HAVE to get one with a chest strap. You can wear the watch always and check your heart rate throughout the day with its detector on the front by just placing two fingers on it and then put the chest strap on for workouts. Its range isnt the greatest so you can't fully extend your arm but I love it!!! And there are many different kinds out there. They all have their pros and cons. There are even some that you can use while swimming. :happy:
  • staciekins
    Options
    I love my HRM, and can't believe how wrong my calorie count was before I had it. Take for last night. My treadmill was saying I burned only 175 calories with 30 min of walking.....my HRM said 298. BIG difference!!!

I have polar brand that comes with a transmitter (chest strap) and love how it just keeps track of my HR and calories for me without any button pushing.

And it's orange, one of my favorite colors

I love how it can be waaaay off in the positive AND negative. If I do an incline, the treadmill waaay overestimates my calories, but if I have no incline and run, it underestimates it. REDICULOUS!!!
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I love my HRM. I got the Polar FT4 per recommendations here.
  • staciekins
    Options
    I love my HRM. I got the Polar FT4 per recommendations here.

I have heard mixed reviews on the Polar series...How do you like yours?
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for this... I just sucked it up and ordered one on Amazon for $50. I got a Bowflex brand, probably not the best, but it was in my budget.
  • staciekins
    Options
    Thanks for this... I just sucked it up and ordered one on Amazon for $50. I got a Bowflex brand, probably not the best, but it was in my budget.

Hey, if it works, it is better than relying on the machines!!! I spent about 70 on mine at Sport Authority and it isn't even the best you can get, but it is what i could afford :P
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Got to throw in a plug for my HRM. It's a Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch- Amazon for $45. It goes by weight, measures HR in % and range. Beeps when out of range of set range (if that makes sense) and registers calories burned. I really like mine and I can change the battery myself when needed. Haven't had any problems so far. I wouldn't work out now without it.