Exercise or Breakfast first...??

Options
Which one are you and why?

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i always eat breakfast 1st, but i dont do :smile: my exercise till an hr and a half b4 lunch
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I definitely eat first because I think i would pass out if I didn't. However, I've heard working out first is best for weight loss. Who knows! I'm curious to see the replies
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    i usually do my exercise after i eat. it helps with the digestive process i think.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    depends how soon after you eat you want to exercise. if you get up and eat at 8am I wouldn't be exercising for at least an hour after. Besides. I am always really hungry after i exercise no matter! haha. I exercise after 1030am and am up at 7am. I have breakfast about 8am after I have fed my son. sometimes I will grab an apple or something on the way to the gym, but generally i won't eat again until after (probably why im so hungry)
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a real mix - I tend to exercise before breakfast because I have to be up SO early to get the dog walked and home before dh has to run to work. This means the kids aren't left alone lol!! But starting the day with exercise usually gives me a good day where I am less hungry - weirdly I am less hungry after exercise?!
  • darcyrobillard
    Options
    Recently I watched Dr. Oz and on the show he said that it's best to exercise first because you'll burn the stored fat. If you eat first, you have to burn through what you've consumed before you can get to the stored fat. Also, he said it's best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning (after using the bathroom) and on the same day each week (only once a week).

I do most of my workouts in the morning but I do some in the afternoon and eve too.
  • bruteforceglory
    Options
    in the morning i only do ten sit ups before breakfast. i do my workout in the evening (i think it's more natural) and only after it i have my dinner.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    great replies... a bit of both then I see... reason why I asked was, the kids get up for school etc at 7am so I have been getting up at 6.15am to do 1/2 hour exercise. If I was to eat first, I'd have to get up earlier and I think 6.15am is early enough! So this week I tried exercise first, then peanut butter and banana on toast after...by then, Im showered and ready to help the kids prepare for school... I lost 2lbs this week doing it this way... before I just exercised in the evening and I've been losing 1lb per week... So I just wanted to see if exercising in the morning would help...then next it was to see if I needed to eat first as I wasnt sure if I was doing it right... So thanks for the replies!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Today I excersized first. I wasn't hungry. Wednesday, Thursday, I ate first. I was hungry.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    If it's a morning workout I don't eat first but have a protein shake right after. If I workout in the afternoon/evening I will eat something small 1-2 hrs before like a banana, nutrigrain bar, or nuts :-)
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. On days off I try to exercise 1st,( ALWAYS drink water before& after exercise ). On work nights I exercise cple hrs after I eat my middle meal and have snack after. I am an overnight worker and this works best with my schedule.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I do not eat first in the morning before I work out. When I work out in the evening I don't eat dinner until after I workout. I just prefer it that way, no scientific reason behind my preference; it just works good for me.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Definitely exercise first for me if it's in the morning. Straight out of bed, exercise (usually a DVD), then breakfast and shower. I start work at 9am so I wouldn't be able to eat and then wait an hour or so before exercising.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a receent convert to eating first. My persnal trainer fiancee has always insisted that I need toeat before my morning workout. SInce I get up at 5:30 to do said workout I always resisted since I didn't want to get up any earlier and eating really early in the morning always makes me nauseated.
    Recently I have been waking up STARVING...so I decided to take his advice and started drinking half a protein shake right before I worked out ( about 4oz and 90 calories).
    I can say the difference has been AMAZING! I can go harder and faster for my workout and I don't start to get worn down toward the end anymore. And since I am working harder I can burn more calories too.
    That is my 2 cents worth......
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    I eat first. I never used to eat breakfast but when I was pregnant I had to to function, so I'm in the habit now.
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    During the summer I used to always exercise first and drink benefiber. Now I'm trying eating breakfast first and find I'm less motivated to jump on for a small morning workout! I like the feeling of waking up to eating though. Tough choice!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Right now, I eat first and exercise later in the day.

I used to go to the gym really early (3am) when I was working full time so I would eat something real small first and then have my regular breakfast when I got back home.

I'd say it all depends on your body. If your body can wake right up and work out without dragging without food, go for it! :bigsmile:
  • lbritt5
    lbritt5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always eat after my workouts. I use to be a morning routine person starting at the gym at 0530 before eating and going to work. Now I find that it fits better into my schedule if I go work out at 1630 before I have supper.
  • JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If it's a light workout, eat after
    If its going to be intense have an apple first then ur normal breakfast after the workout.