net calories vs. Food calories

Options
I am new here. I just wanted to make sure I understand something. My food calories are over 1200 calories, however my net calories is no where near that. Which one am I suppose to have close to 1200 calories. I am in shape and work out vigorously at least 5x a week. Just trying to loose 5 - 7 pounds. I have lost 2 lbs in the past two weeks but I just want to make sure I am going about it in the proper way.

Starting weight- 130.6 march 12
Current weight 3/26 128.6
Goal weight 122
Height 5'2 muscular build

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    make sure your net is 1200 plus
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with a small amount to lose the general rule of thumb on MFP may not apply to you.

Net = calories eaten - calories burned

Most people will say to keep your NET at no less than 1200 each day.

That being said, "eating back" exercise calories doesn't work for everyone so you may need to try it both ways for a couple weeks each and see what works for you.

Good luck!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You eat until your "remaining" calories number is zero. It's quite simple.

"Food Calories" and "Net Calories" are just steps in the equation; "Remaining Calories" is the number you should pay attention to.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories should be near to 1200.

They say with only 5 - 10 lbs to lose you should set your goal to half pound per week and eat back all your exercise cals.

So they say!! But obviously we aren't all machines and dont roll the same way!! But its a starting point.........

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think its an individual thing. I have eaten back my calories and it does not work for me. I feel better keeping my cals around 1500 regardless of my workout. Each of us has to create the "plan" that works for us. Our bodies, metabolisms etc are different. Keep trying until you find the key.

Blessings,

Diane
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    With that little to lose I would up your calories to more then 1200 anyway but I would NOT eat under NET.

I posted earlier about upping calories if you are interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/201492-upping-your-calories

With not much to lose it gets a lot tougher.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later

I can't take it any longer! Someone please tell me what BUMP means! Thanks! = D
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I think its an individual thing. I have eaten back my calories and it does not work for me. I feel better keeping my cals around 1500 regardless of my workout. Each of us has to create the "plan" that works for us. Our bodies, metabolisms etc are different. Keep trying until you find the key.

Blessings,

Diane

Ditto! I'm not an expert, just know I was gaining when I did that but I am 54. Maybe that is why.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later

I can't take it any longer! Someone please tell me what BUMP means! Thanks! = D

It puts this topic under "My topics" so I can read it later.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories should be near to 1200.

They say with only 5 - 10 lbs to lose you should set your goal to half pound per week and eat back all your exercise cals.

So they say!! But obviously we aren't all machines and dont roll the same way!! But its a starting point.........

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Couldn't have said it better!