Help - my feet are hindering my exercise!!!

Options
Some of you might think this strange or funny but I have a major problem. No matter what trainers I seem to try I end up (even afer 10 minutes of walking - not even running!) with blisters on my heels!!

I so want to start exercising properly and am finding this a painful and annoying issue - any suggestions?

Replies

• kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I would say your shoes are fitting right! It pays to spend some money on good shoes.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would go to the drugstore and buy some moleskin in the footcare aisle. My husband always uses it and brings it when mountainclimbing. It's kind of thick and it sticks well. Helps to avoid blisters and if you already have them. Should help you until you break in your shoes.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing socks that cover the back of your feet where your shoes touch them?

Also, you might try getting some of the large band aids and put them on your heels before you start walking to add some additional cushion.

Good luck!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Besides shoes, make sure you are wearing good socks! No cotton, get something synthetic and tight fitting.
  • sherab69
    sherab69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is a company called Blue Steel Sports that makes an anti chafe cream for atheletes. I use thia on my toes and heels when I run a race and never get blisters. Before using this product I always got them! Here is a link!
    http://www.bluesteelsports.com/
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Exercise barefoot. Seriously. :)
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I've had that problem my whole life! No matter what shoes I would buy. I would go to running stores and get help picking out the shoe for me and still I would end up with ankle blisters BUT I haven't had any issues since starting in December. There are socks that you can buy that help prevent blisters. I wear Asics GT-2150 and K-swiss Tubes 100 for shoes and they are divine! You can also try bandaids where you get blisters underneath the special socks. Good luck!!!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too and I know that it can be debilitating. For a little while I thought that all of my weight loss was due to losing skin from my feet! :)

My answer was socks. Some sneakers/trainers are better or worse for my feet, but getting high quality exercise socks was the best solution for me. I bought tons of different pairs, but the best ones that I found were ProTreds. They are expensive, but they are the only way that I can do the workouts that I want to do. No problems since I started using them. Keep your feet dry while you exercise and you will be good!

Best of luck!
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yay for barefoot exercise lol, but thats not plausible in many situations. I would think it's that your shoes don't fit. It seems like they might be too long and arent tight enough to not slide up and down on your heel. Do you have to buy wide shoes? I used to end up with shoes that were too long just to get shoes that were wide enough (now I only wear men's shoes lol)
  • JaXXster
    JaXXster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

I do have wide feet and one of the pairs of trainers that I have make my toes numb too after a while, guess I will ditch them. I'll have a look at men's shoes too.

Thats what I love about this site, always people around to turn to for advice! I will try all your suggestions!!
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ...........something else to help with weight loss.

I have arthritis in both knees and one replaced and am awaiting a second replacement. When I couldn't do any exercise at ll I used the resistance bands and would lay on the bed and do many leg lifts and sit ups with them. I got creative on what I COULD do in bed (no laughing please) LOL

Mabe try something like that on alternating days to give yourself a chance to heal. It did help in weight loss.

Proper fitting shoes & socks make a big difference. I learned a long time ago that I was a cheapo, but shoes was something I spent money on since I was on my feet all day.

Good Luck!
  • JaXXster
    JaXXster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Missdeehere . . . I didn't laugh - honest :tongue:

I know what you are saying about cheap shoes, I have Reebock, Nike and Adidas and they weren't that cheap. Hopefuly the socks and anti chaffe cream will do the trick!!

Let us know if you come up with more ingenious ways of loosing!
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use Duct tape (also known as Gaffer tape in the UK) whenever I hike for ten miles or more. I read about it on the Net years ago and I have had moderate success. Build up a few layers around the area causing you the problems and voila!

Other things I have tried include talcum powder in copious quantities (in your socks) as this cuts down on moisture retention - a major contributory factor with blisters. Another suggestion is to change your socks frequently whilst out walking/hiking - keeps your feet fresh.

Bizarrely, I never get blisters when running! I did an 11 mile run a few weeks ago - over 2 hours of continuous running and not even the slightest hint of a blister! Weird.