Question: To eat or not to eat?

Options
I have heard that eating less than 2 hours before going to bed is bad for you. I have heard a massive amount about starvation mode. I have dealt with anorexia in my past, but have lost all the weight I wanted or needed to in a healthy way with MFP. I am on maintenance and trying to build muscle, but if I lose much more I will honestly be underweight and unhealthy, the opposite of what I want.
So my question is, when I have 600 - 800 calories leftover at 9 /10 o clock at night, should I go ahead and snack away despite the late hour, or just stay vastly under? I don't want to starve myself, but I don't want to counteract all the hard work I put in earlier in the day, either.
My favorite time of the day to snack is after the kids are in bed, watching movies or playing video games with the hubby. It is mostly healthy snacking (fruits, nuts, cheese, yogurt, etc.) And I usually have tons of cals left over to munch out with. Should I just try to snack more throughout the day, and avoid the late night munching? Or should I just focus more on getting in all the calories I am allotted, no matter what time of the day they are consumed?

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    really good question, I'd like to see the responses you get. Hope everything works out ok for you
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think the time of day that you consume your calories really matters all that much. If you eat late at night and still lose weight, do it.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I eat a WHOLE bag or popcorn every night around 9pm so that is 260 calories about 2 hours before bed. Sometimes I even eat it later depending on when the kids go to bed. I am a huge snacker and find my fav time is after the kids go to bed. Nothing taste sweeter then eating food without someone constantly bugging you :flowerforyou:

Eating late has not messed up anything. I always log my popcorn first thing in the morning so no matter how I do all day I know that that is my late night snack. I use to binge at night but now am satisfied with my 1 snack. You will find what works best. If you like something (not too heavy of course) factor it in, in the morning so you have more to play with during the day.

I recently upped my calories and basically added a whole meal so I am trying to find my balance again. One thing remains the same and tha will always be my popcorn :wink:
  • loganaw
    loganaw Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i say eat when youre hungry, stop when youre full. don't eat if you're not hungry. you're not going to go into starvation mode as long as your body isn't TELLING you (stomach growling, feeling weak, blah blah blah) that it's starving for food. i eat before bed all the time, even 5 minutes before i fall asleep. of course, it's always a light yogurt, a werthers original, or a celery stick. not a full course meal or anything.
  • JuniorTaitt
    JuniorTaitt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eating within two hours before bed isn’t "bad" for you, it won't magically make you fat the next day lol, If you are starving within the 2 hours before bed, have a bite of something with protein, and minimal carbs but keep it light.

As long as you dont make it a habit you'll be fine. Just keep in mind that eating late at night is the worse time of day to eat, so its absolutely important you indulge only if you are very hungry (there's really no point in going to bed starving regardless of your goal)

By the way, you'll get away with this more than most people here becase you are musle building.

Hope that helps
  • fitmom4ever
    fitmom4ever Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks all! :happy:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Having food in your tummy can interrupt the sleep rhythms that allow you to rest deeply. If you can, work on eating your calories earlier.
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    I now discovered that you're not supposed to eat after 6.
    That's unrealistic for me, although that is what's best for the body.

Now that I started a shake-incorporated program, I actually find it easier for me to get those calories on-the-go. I'm in class until 9 p.m. so it's difficult for me to go home and not want to eat before bed.
    With shakes, like the chocolate GNC total lean shake... you just mix the powder with water inside one of their plastic shaker bottles and there you go. 200 calories a shake. I can drink 2 at school alone... then go to bed.

What happens is that if you eat and go to bed, your metabolic rate slows down and converts more to fat. You're still active before 6 p.m. normally, so that's why it makes sense to finish your calories earlier than later.

If I were you, I'd wake up and eat 400 calories worth within the first hour. That speeds your burn for the rest of the day. Then if you don't have the time to eat, drink those GNC shakes and eat a Power Crunch bar (low carb and tastes pretty good) with lots of water. You will still get those calories you need and also get 'real food' in you in the morning before you're off to the races.

When you get home, don't even bother opening the fridge or pantry. That only allows the devils in. I can't stop at a celery stick or 1 whole wheat cracker... lol.... I don't know how these other chicks do it.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Eat!!

Unless you find that eating disturbs your sleep (heartburn, restless night, etc), then eat. Due to things that come up, I've been known to have dinner an hour before bed. Hasn't stopped my losses.

That "don't eat after a <insert time>" is a myth. Ideally, the last meal should be a snack. A snack is defined as roughly 100 cals, give or take (sometimes mine are 150) with about 15 grams of carbs or less with some protein.

Good luck!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I think this really depends on the person. Personally, I cannot go to bed without a snack without feeling miserable. I really will wake up in the middle of the night incredibly hungry if I do not get a snack about 30 minutes before bed. Then I feel terrible in the morning. Other people do not sleep well or feel bad if they eat too close to bed. So, do what feels best for you. I wouldn't eat too many calories in any one meal or snack, regardless of the time, but other than that... eat!