Tattoo Ideas/revolution

Options

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a tree up my side that looks like a cherry blossom..but not, and with the truck twisted, looking all neato speedo and what not. With a note from my mom 'engraved' in the tree trunk. :D
  • catysthename
    Options
    Orrrr a dream catcher with the world as the web. and dangling from the world is a live beating heart. You can't make the heart beat on your skin, but you get the point. With feathers as the other danglies from the web. Represents the tangled web we weave in life and how we're all so connected by the heart and the feathers represents how many times we fly and soar to new and better things at different times in our lives. I'd also have the heart dangling a little lower than the feathers to represent how heavy live weighs on the heart.

Dunno, sounded cool though. I'm an artist so i think of some crazy stuff. lol
  • manettaMikey
    manettaMikey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The phoenix was my initial idea years ago but when I looked up some of the tattoo images on google, I was no impressed. Hehe I've asked my friend to draw up what he can from what I am looking for. I'm really about experiences and I would like to have this experience. You only live life once and last few years I've def. wanted one. I would think if I am going to get one it should be considerable size if I am using my side. Not sure how expensive that was but when I look at pics online I'm so attracted to those tattoos. They grab my eyes attention the most.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Heres a concept that came to me from reading your posts

Have a tree an oak tree or a cherry blossom not living broken a dead from what trials you have went through in your life. Have this done in blacks and greys

The Celtic meaning of the oak tree includes attributes such as:
    * Life* Strength* Wisdom* Nobility* Family* Loyalty* Power* Longevity* Heritage* Honor

Have the Phoenix sitting in the tree vibrant reds, oranges and yellows with its head down crying.
    Have its tears going down the tree healing it and the bottom of the tree the roots brown and the ground maybe with a lotus flower around it full of color to represent that the rebirth is strongly rooted.
  • catysthename
    Options
    Heres a concept that came to me from reading your posts

Have a tree an oak tree or a cherry blossom not living broken a dead from what trials you have went through in your life. Have this done in blacks and greys

The Celtic meaning of the oak tree includes attributes such as:
    * Life* Strength* Wisdom* Nobility* Family* Loyalty* Power* Longevity* Heritage* Honor

Have the Phoenix sitting in the tree vibrant reds, oranges and yellows with its head down crying.
    Have its tears going down the tree healing it and the bottom of the tree the roots brown and the ground around it full of color to represent that the rebirth is strongly rooted.

Very good idea!! Sounds like a good idea for a drawing to do here at work!
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    Polar Bears in Native Indian symbolism is another choice
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    You could get a tattoo of a tarot card the ace of cups is the card for that there are many types of tarot out there that you could choose from.
    A lizard is also a symbol
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of great ideas! I have been considering a tattoo for close to 2 years now. I like some the idea with the phoenix wings branching out on a blossom tree or even the withered tree thats still standing.

I always feel like that I keep hearing some horrific news, but I keep moving forward. Back in Feb. I was in a much better place and felt that I gained my independence and didn't need anyone. Going through a recent break up and trying to transition to friends is a day to day progress. I know time heals wounds and i'm just waiting for time to pass. I am not getting a tattoo quite yet but I want to search, because when i regain my independence I do want a tattoo that I've been through a lot, but I'm still standing, that I have made that transition and I'll stand firm on it.

Mike

i totally get you i moved out of my parents house 6 months ago and now i haveto move back home.
  • catysthename
    Options
    Wow a lot of great ideas! I have been considering a tattoo for close to 2 years now. I like some the idea with the phoenix wings branching out on a blossom tree or even the withered tree thats still standing.

I always feel like that I keep hearing some horrific news, but I keep moving forward. Back in Feb. I was in a much better place and felt that I gained my independence and didn't need anyone. Going through a recent break up and trying to transition to friends is a day to day progress. I know time heals wounds and i'm just waiting for time to pass. I am not getting a tattoo quite yet but I want to search, because when i regain my independence I do want a tattoo that I've been through a lot, but I'm still standing, that I have made that transition and I'll stand firm on it.

Mike

i totally get you i moved out of my parents house 6 months ago and now i haveto move back home.

Oh i know that feeling. Been at my new house a month and have to move back home.
  • manettaMikey
    manettaMikey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ya I'm a pretty dramatic person so its always the whoa is me, but you know I don't really have it as bad as I could. I just need some more positive faces(MFP) to keep me on track. I feel like everyones posts are wonderful, and I'm really sold on that phoenix crying. Not sure on the oak tree though, really wanted to represent the cherry blossom tree, but the tears giving life to the surroundings of the tree sounds sweet.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    What about a tree or flower that is dry / dead / shriveled at the bottom with a beautiful flower or leaves that are blooming from the "dead" part. Showing that what was once "dead" is now thriving?? Maybe over the top, but sounded good to me. :smile:
  • catysthename
    Options
    Don't know how religious you are but, the tree of life and death. The one Adam and Eve ate from with the serpent showing the trials and temptations.
    Or a loom. Don't know how cool that'd be. But it could be done up in a way to represent a new chapter (new threads) of your life. In mythology there are Furies which create the fate of all humans.
    http://xsmyth2012.wikispaces.com/file/view/furies.jpg/149803129/furies.jpg
    You could put the Furies in some kind of orb to represent that YOU own your fate.

So many ideas!
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    I have a question. If I go into a tattoo place and have them draw me a tattoo. I can opt out of it but can i take their drawing as a reference? Also does it cost money for them to draw something???

Mike

^^No. Very bad form. They are taking time, energy, and creativity to put together something you like with the intention that you are a collaborative team. Why would you take the image and leave? To get it tattooed somewhere else? If there are pieces of the image that you like but parts that you don't like, they are happy to alter it until you are in love with the piece.

Funny I should run across this thread. I JUST finished up getting a phoenix up my right side (hip to armpit) and ran into some of the same trouble you're having-- I looked up some images and nothing really amazing jumped out. What *did* jump out were themes and segments that I either liked or disliked. For example, I liked the flow of some more than others and although I first intended to have the phoenix flying upward from my hip, I found that I really liked the shape and flow of the ones moving downward, so when I talked with my artist, I mentioned that problem and he came up with a solution when he drew it up. I also told him parts I didn't like about some of them.

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth: Do a TON of research on who you choose as your artist and plan to spend some big bucks-- this is permanent art on your body and skimping on quality should not be in the equation (mine was $1250 by the time I was done). Most artists have portfolios online and you can look at their line work, shading, coloring, and creativity at manipulating images. Find someone whose work you absolutely love. Then go through LOTS of pictures and find things that you like and don't like about them. Set up a consultation with the artist you've chose (don't plan to be able to just walk in--my artist books 2-3 months in advance) and discuss the kind of piece you'd like-- I emailed my artist about 10 images with descriptions of what I liked and didn't like about each. Your artist should be able to take all that information and come up with something very personalized for you. Good luck--I'm sure whatever you choose will be amazing! :-)
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    As I said you could use either tree, and another choice is you could have half the tree dead half regrowing from the tears
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have some suggestions. I'm an artist who also happens to have a lot of tattoos so I think I'm good for some advice. You should be more conceptual with your idea on rebirth or new beginnings. The way I would start any design is to gather a lot of ideas. Start by simply writing a list of words that relate to the idea of new beginnings. Just brainstorm and think of all kinds of ideas for example a sunrise/new day, dawn, growth, refining, cleansing, flying, breaking away, seasons, etc. Just take all these words and think of visuals for them. What comes to mind when you think of these words.

Once you've done this take all the things you want this tattoo to represent and the tattoo artist should be able to interpret it into a sweet design if they are good. I think this is the best way to come up with the most unique tattoo.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    How about an Egyptian ankh, a symbol of eternal life.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh

No offense, but GOD is eternal life!:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Ok so I have some suggestions. I'm an artist who also happens to have a lot of tattoos so I think I'm good for some advice. You should be more conceptual with your idea on rebirth or new beginnings. The way I would start any design is to gather a lot of ideas. Start by simply writing a list of words that relate to the idea of new beginnings. Just brainstorm and think of all kinds of ideas for example a sunrise/new day, dawn, growth, refining, cleansing, flying, breaking away, seasons, etc. Just take all these words and think of visuals for them. What comes to mind when you think of these words.

Once you've done this take all the things you want this tattoo to represent and the tattoo artist should be able to interpret it into a sweet design if they are good. I think this is the best way to come up with the most unique tattoo.

That is so awesomely stated!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    I have a question. If I go into a tattoo place and have them draw me a tattoo. I can opt out of it but can i take their drawing as a reference? Also does it cost money for them to draw something???

Mike

^^No. Very bad form. They are taking time, energy, and creativity to put together something you like with the intention that you are a collaborative team. Why would you take the image and leave? To get it tattooed somewhere else? If there are pieces of the image that you like but parts that you don't like, they are happy to alter it until you are in love with the piece.

Funny I should run across this thread. I JUST finished up getting a phoenix up my right side (hip to armpit) and ran into some of the same trouble you're having-- I looked up some images and nothing really amazing jumped out. What *did* jump out were themes and segments that I either liked or disliked. For example, I liked the flow of some more than others and although I first intended to have the phoenix flying upward from my hip, I found that I really liked the shape and flow of the ones moving downward, so when I talked with my artist, I mentioned that problem and he came up with a solution when he drew it up. I also told him parts I didn't like about some of them.

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth: Do a TON of research on who you choose as your artist and plan to spend some big bucks-- this is permanent art on your body and skimping on quality should not be in the equation (mine was $1250 by the time I was done). Most artists have portfolios online and you can look at their line work, shading, coloring, and creativity at manipulating images. Find someone whose work you absolutely love. Then go through LOTS of pictures and find things that you like and don't like about them. Set up a consultation with the artist you've chose (don't plan to be able to just walk in--my artist books 2-3 months in advance) and discuss the kind of piece you'd like-- I emailed my artist about 10 images with descriptions of what I liked and didn't like about each. Your artist should be able to take all that information and come up with something very personalized for you. Good luck--I'm sure whatever you choose will be amazing! :-)

That is really good advice. I only have one tat but if I were to get another one. I would definitely go about it the way you did.
  • mkskippy24
    Options

Mike

As a tattoo shop owner, our artists do ask for some cash to draw your idea. Our artist ask for between $20 and $50, and are very commited to thier pieces, so it could take them anywhere from 4-10 hours to work out all the drawing details and itricacies that make for a beautiful tattoo piece. That cost comes off the total cost of your tattoo if you choose to get it, but if you decide to get nothing, then that $$ goes to the artist for thier time and effort.

No artist will let you take thier piece of artwork with you when you leave either. It's kinda cruel to have someone draw up something, take it with you have another artist tweak thier work and have someone else tattoo it. Each artist has a different design style and outlook on life, so if you like what they offer great.... if not, the pic also stays. Even more, if you don't like the price they offer for the tattoo, it's double uncool to take their pic and try and find someone else to do it cheaper. So most artist's will not let you take artwork with you, you pay for their TIME, not the actual art..... that comes with the tattoo.

GOOD tattoos ARE NOT CHEAP. CHEAP tattoos ARE NOT GOOD!

My adivce is, do the work, the legwork and research of what you want. Then do the work to check out shops and artists near you, and check out their work. Find an artist that speaks to you, your style, your personal feel.... then work with them to get what you want.

OH.... and if you never had a tattoo before, just know the side is BRUTAL. And you'll need to sit, and sit well and still or else the "bad artwork" might not be the artist's fault! :wink:
  • mkskippy24
    Options

Mike

Well said!! I wish all our client were like you!