Your Favorite Fruit & Veggies- And What Do You Do With Them?

Options
ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
I am making a list to go to the grocery store to replenish our fruits and veggies and I keep finding myself always picking the same things, especially when it comes to veggies (celery, cucumber, spinach, broccoli, peppers & carrots) and well, the majority of my veggies are green.

Just wondering what fruits and veggies people here normally get and do you most often eat them raw or do you like to add them to a recipe

Thanks

Replies

• penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this also!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I actually like vegetables. but, it sounds like you want to spice it up. Try adding berries, kiwi fruit, apples, pineapple (great for digestion), nectarines, peaches (actually very low in calories). One thing I can tell you - the fruits and vegetables that give me a full sensation the quickest are Kiwi, strawberries, and bellpeppers. Hope this helps.

I like my vegetables raw (in salads), stir-fried in olive oil, steamed or in soups.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I looooooove tomatoes. I occasionally eat them like apples (just bite into them - yummmm) but usually I slice them up and use them in sandwiches or things like that.

Granny Smith apples are also big favorites of mine. The tart flavor helps satisfy me, as does the CRUNCH! If you prefer, you can also slice them up (thin slices) spray a pan with a little non-stick spray, sprinkle some cinnamon on top (and, if you need things sweeter, add a little stevia/truvia), and cook until they are soft and it is like eating the filling from an apple pie, but MUCH healthier.

Broccoli is my absolute favorite veggie. I love it steamed or raw.

Not a huge fan of baby carrots, but they are so crunchy that I find they are the perfect between-meals snack and I eat them at least a few times a week.

Avocadoes have healthy fat and are soooo yummy on egg whites, sandwiches, salads, etc.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go to the local farm market and get these: cantaloupe, bananas, blueberries, apples, oranges, clemintimes, avacados, eggplant, romaine, peppers (red, green, yellow & orange), celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, cauliflower, spinach, green beans, broccoli.

Hope this helps !
  • JustGila
    JustGila Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    frozen squash, frozen brussel sprouts and frozen soy beans! im still working on how to prepare the frozen squash but the brussel sprouts are great with a little olive oil on the skillet and maybe even a little brown sugar. The soybeans can go into anything but I have been obsessed with making bean salad lately-black beans, soybeans and kidney beans with a little olive oil and vinegar (any kind of vinegar is good).

Hope this helps!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I am making a list to go to the grocery store to replenish our fruits and veggies and I keep finding myself always picking the same things, especially when it comes to veggies (celery, cucumber, spinach, broccoli, peppers & carrots) and well, the majority of my veggies are green.

Just wondering what fruits and veggies people here normally get and do you most often eat them raw or do you like to add them to a recipe

Thanks

In the winter/early spring we tend to buy frozen brocolli and green beans as stand by veggies, then whatever is on sale, as that tends to be what's in season. If I never heard of it, I Google recipe ideas.

Starting in late spring through fall, we get veggies (and some fruit) from our local Co-op Farm... and then, we never know what we're going to get. Sometimes we have to ask what "that" is. LOL.

Fruit is, again, whatever's on sale; what's available at the farmer's market; and local fruit stands.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad & makeup has a bit to do with what is best in season but find myself routinely repeating: watermelon, rockmelon/canteloupe, kiwi fruit, orange, mandarine, apple, pear, nectarine, peach, grapes, on & off passionfruit and was getting honeydew but they've gone a bit downhill in Aus just now.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My alltime favourite when i can get it is asparagus, i just steam it for a few minutes and munch on it. I also adore beetroot, you can have it hot or cold, make it into soups, you can even make cakes and sweets from beetroot :) . Beetroot is so good for you and apparently great for stamina when exercising. Cauliflower, broccoli, chard, kale, carrots, tomatoes all feature heavily on my shopping list when in season. Baked sweet potato is gorgeous, and i love maked roasted veg with courgettes, aubergines, peppers, onions, garlic & tomatoes. As you can guess i love my veg, guess thats what being a vegetarian for 15 years does for you.

Fruits i'm not so fussed about, although i do love fresh apples straight off the tree :)
    When i am in the mood for fruit it tends to be watermelon (when i can get it), mango, physalis, cherries and fresh berries straight off the bush.

I think the important thing with frit and veg is to have a wide variety of colours, that way you will get a great mix of vitamins and anti oxidants. Just remember with the fruits tho to keep an eye on sugars, i avoid grapes cause they're so high in sugar and i can never stop at just a couple
  • circles000
    Options
    I do love my fruit and veg :smile:

I make healthy chips where you slice sweet potatoes and then sprinkle them with fresh thyme, cayenne, salt and fry light.

I also roast veggies (carrots, bell peppers, butternut squash, onions, potatoes) and then put cayenne, parsley, paprika, a bit of vinegar, lemon juice and a tiny bit of garlic puree that's been added to boiling water, and sprinkle soy sauce on top.

Leek and potato soup's nice as well.

Oh, and I cut a courgette/small butternut squash in half and add a tomatoey mince mixture to the middle before roasting it. Lovely :happy:
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    I love vegetables! Fruit not so much. These are some of my favorites:

1) Roasted root vegetables. Cut up rooties ( any combo of red potatoes, garnet yam, celery root, turnip, rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, whole peeled garlic cloves, etc), toss in olive oil and garlic pepper. Roast @ 400° for about 75-90 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.

2) Asparagus. Snap off ends, toss same as above, roast @ 400° for about 20 minutes depending on thickness.

3) Dice onion, celery, carrots, bell peppers- cook until brown and caramelized (takes about 45 minutes), deglaze with wine, stock, or water, add 2 cans of low salt diced tomatoes, 2- 14 oz cans of tomato sauce, cracked pepper, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, you might need to add a bit of sugar or sweetener to balance out the acidity. Simmer 20 minutes. Good with pasta, meatballs, chicken, ground turkey or beef, etc.

4) Brussels Sprouts. Cut off ends, saute in olive oil with red onion and chopped apples until caramelized. Deglaze with a bit of balsamic vinegar.

5) For curry fans- this is my favorite curry to make at home. It's dynamite.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marrakesh-Vegetable-Curry/Detail.aspx
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I do love fruit and veggies, a lot, I just need to try new ones. And there are plenty new suggestions on here and what to do with them :D
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I love steamed squash and brussels sprouts. It seems that I eat A LOT of broccoli. I think most of us do eat a lot of broccoli. Kinda boring sometimes but I love it--especially if I melt a wedge of laughing cow french onion cheese on it--tastes almost like broccoli casserole. I get tired of salads. I guess I like most of my veggies cooked. This one a little different---rutabagas. I also love to cook turnips in apple juice. Might sound yucky but it is REALLY GOOD. I like to eat greens (kale / spinach / turnip greens / collards, etc) with ketchup on it. Again, sounds weird buyt tastes really good. :laugh:

My favorite fruit is the Fuji apple--served cold from the fridge. Nectarines are yummy. Fruit salad is good if you have fruits that are getting too ripe--just cut them all up and mix together either plain or with flavored yogurt. (plain yogurt makes me gag :sick: )
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i do not like raw vegis at all...the only thing that i might eat raw are carrots...everything else has to be cooked...and i dont like them real crisp either....i like everything more on the tender side. i know it takes out some of the nutrients...but hey ...better than none at all.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of roasted asparagus here (full stalks, brush with olive oil, sprinkle vegetable seasoning and crushed garlic--roast in oven for 15 minutes turning once)

Boiled sweet potato and apricots, mashed and then baked in the oven for a sweet casserole that tastes like pumpkin pie filling

I'm a huge fan of frozen grapes, too.

A great way to get your veggie/fruit servings is to juice. You can make juice with just about anything...I like adding wheat grass and lemon to the mix.

Try to experiment with the exotic fruit--Carambolas (star fruit), pithayas (dragon fruit), passion fruit, mangoes...there's so much out there!

OM NOM NOM!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I like to grill veggies. Zucchini is a favorite. I cut it into lengthwise slices, brush a little olive oil on and season it with Morton Nature's Seasons. I also cut up mushrooms, peppers and onions and throw them in a grill basket and season them the same way I do the zucchini. Everybody I've ever served it to LOVES the grilled peppers/mushrooms/onions.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    i do not like raw vegis at all...the only thing that i might eat raw are carrots...everything else has to be cooked...and i dont like them real crisp either....i like everything more on the tender side. i know it takes out some of the nutrients...but hey ...better than none at all.

I agree. I like veggies cooked until they are soft. I say take a vitamin pill and COOK those veggies til they are DONE! :laugh:
  • KevKidd
    KevKidd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fresh blueberries, strawberries, oranges, and apples here.
  • BreezysMom
    Options
    I love broccoli slaw. It comes in packages near the bagged lettuce or coleslaw. I use lite slaw dressing and add some grilled chicken cut in cubes and a craisins. You could also toss some almonds in there if you wanted but I am allergic. It is a hearty salad for lunch.

I also have become a fan of sweet potato fries that I make in the oven. Grilled zuchinni is yummy too!

Walmart also carries great mixes of green leafy lettuces. I cut up a tomato and then add sliced up low fat string cheese stick and spritz it with raspberry balsamic dressing. Yummy!!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i usually eat mine raw and fresh. but occasionally i will add some satueed veggies to pasta sauce or grill veggies in the summer/