PIZZA

Options
1111renee
1111renee Posts: 108 Member
I want to make homemade pizza for the family tonite.........we can all choose our toppings............anyone recommend a crust? what should be on mine? I love veggie :)

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love veggie pizza. I would put mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, eggplant and maybe olives. I was at the grocery store and I picked at the pillsbury pizza crust and I also saw boboli whole wheat crust but it was expensive so I didnt get it. Let me know how it goes!
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    The grocery store near me sells a flax seed crust and it is yummy. See if you can find that
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    There is a primal website I think www.thisprimallife.com where she has a hommade crust with eggplant and almond flour I think. It looks awesome but does take a little effort.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Walmart in our area sells individual pizza crusts, near the Boboli. You could get those and let each person make their own. I think they were less than $3 for 3-4 crusts. Pricier than making your own but fun for the kids and not too high in calories if I remember correctly.
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually use the whole wheat crusts from the grocery store... Watched the video - that recipe is awesome!
  • CharityShantell
    CharityShantell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to check out that primal video.

You know, this is a bit unconventional, but it works for my busy life. And it is also good to boost your fiber AND if you like a crunchy crust. I love a thick gooey crust, so if that's a "must have" for you, this idea won't work. But I've really enjoyed my quick, thin crust pizza's.

First I take a "Flatout Wrap". They are these oval, semi-thick wraps that I get near the deli of my supermarket. They have 9 grams fiber! I usually go for the "Light" kind because they have the least calories and least amount of sodium, but the kind with flax is also very good and I feel great getting in extra omega 3's.

I found out by accident one day that if you toast it flat in a toaster oven, it get's as stiff as a board! lol I'm sure an oven would work also. Flipping it one or two times works best.

Then I build my pizza, and then bake or toast it again until the cheese melts.

As for what I put on my pizza? Anything! Recently I found this stuff called "Philadelphia Cooking Cream" near the cream cheese. Just 32 grams by weight has 55 calories and covers an entire Flatout easily. I just love white sauce!! If you love red sauce, and have a Trader Joes nearby, they have a great pizza sauce that is fat-free and only 3 grams of 'sugars' per serving. They also have a nice alfredo sauce.

This week so far I've had two pizza's. I think my most favorite topping these days is to saute whole, coursely chopped garlic cloves with another low-calorie vegetable like zucchini or mushrooms. There is just SOMETHING wonderful and meaty about big chunks of cooked garlic. Just make sure your hubby has some too and you'll be all set.
    :bigsmile:
  • canadianchickie
    Options
    Easy options:

Pita bread - make it whole wheat to be healthier, and prevent a sugar spike
    Flat bread
    English muffins - actually really good!
    Pre-made thin, whole wheat pizza crust
    Put ingredients on melba toast for mini pizza's

Use parmesean cheese instead of mozza.

Extra pizza sauce (low sodium) makes any pizza delicious!

Avoid using meat, but ham is the best option if you really want the protein. Watch the sodium, esp. in deli meats.

Lots of veggies make it filling!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lots of answers here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/95299-low-calorie-pizza-recipes-anyone?hl=joseph's+pizza#posts-1317564

I had 2 personal pizza's for dinner last night with 440 calorie combined total. Basic recipe is...

Joseph's pita bread from walmart (the only reason I go there)
    turkey pepperoni
    nonfat mozerella
    pizza sauce and all the veggies you can stack.

I heat the outdoor grill to max and cook on a flat iron. They are ready in about 3-4 minutes

Friday is pizza night at our house again.
  • kimmers723
    kimmers723 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For personal pizza I use whole wheat tortillas! Taste great!
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    We use soft taco shells. There is a wide variety, wheat, fat free etc.. Everyone can make their own.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza base! I saw it on a post on MFP somwhere. Tried it and it was good!

Cook cauliflower, then put it in the food processor - this can also be used as a rice substitute. To make it in to a pizza base mix in an egg (I think 1 egg per cup of cauliflower 'rice'?) and some herbs. Recipe also says 1 cup mozzarella but you can use significantly less or none at all. Spread it on a tray and bake at about 230 degrees (450 F) for 15-20 minutes. Take it out, add your topping and back in teh oven for another 10 or so minutes (until toppings are cooked to your liking.

Significantly less calories than a traditional pizza bae, and an extra serve of vegies :) AND it tastes good!!!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump bump...
  • kwag7272
    kwag7272 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thomas's English Muffins (Triple Health have 100 calories each). Make a great pizza!
  • peachElibrarian
    peachElibrarian Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CharityShantell
    CharityShantell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza base! I saw it on a post on MFP somwhere. Tried it and it was good!

Cook cauliflower, then put it in the food processor - this can also be used as a rice substitute. To make it in to a pizza base mix in an egg (I think 1 egg per cup of cauliflower 'rice'?) and some herbs. Recipe also says 1 cup mozzarella but you can use significantly less or none at all. Spread it on a tray and bake at about 230 degrees (450 F) for 15-20 minutes. Take it out, add your topping and back in teh oven for another 10 or so minutes (until toppings are cooked to your liking.

Significantly less calories than a traditional pizza bae, and an extra serve of vegies :) AND it tastes good!!!

Wwwwwwow, that's progressive! Might have to try it. :wink: