Age, weight, Bmi

digby765
digby765 Posts: 163
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, with me very close to achieving my first stone in weight loss, i decided to look at my bmi and 'ideal' weight. So i checked out various online site calculators, and was quite surprised at the answers.

Now I thought at a mere 5'2" my ideal weight should be between 119 and 133lbs imagine my surprise then when one after the other of these online calculators taking my age into consideration (52, 53 in June) tell me that my ideal weight should be 154lbs. I was gobsmacked, thats a huge difference..I understood that a few pounds extra is preferable as we get older but crikey 21 to 35 pounds that seems a bit much !!

Does anyone have any views on this, or contradicting advise ?:happy:

Replies

• schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Not sure where you got your numbers. Using BMI calculator which is what is widely used to determine healthy weight, overweight and obesity (yes I know all about the variations for highly athletic muscular persons, a 5'2" woman's healthy weight comes out to be 101-137 pounds, 137 to 164 overweight and over 164 obese. So 154 would clearly be in the overweight category.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    I've never herd of bmi being based on age, that's interesting.

I'm 5'2" as well, and a few years ago I was VERY sick and lost a bunch of weight. I got down to 100 pounds, and was sickly and weak. I can't believe that 101 is considered healthy! It also doesn't take into account any muscle that you have, since it weighs more than fat.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Don't go by a "calculator" or a "chart". Go by your pants and your mirror. When you are happy with what you see and feel, you are where you need to be.

I am 5'2" as well and joined here at 130 lbs because I felt I was getting fat. I am happy now maintaining at 107.2 as of this morning, wearing size 1/2.

Some people feel that is too small, and some I have seen at my size who still wanted to lose ten more pounds and be a straight size zero...to each his own!
    Get to where you feel healthy and happy.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    I've never herd of bmi being based on age, that's interesting.

I'm 5'2" as well, and a few years ago I was VERY sick and lost a bunch of weight. I got down to 100 pounds, and was sickly and weak. I can't believe that 101 is considered healthy! It also doesn't take into account any muscle that you have, since it weighs more than fat.

BMI is not based on age, that is why I"m not sure what formula the original poster was using.

I know its a technicality but its one that drives me bonkers......muscle is DENSER than fat..........ie a pound of fat is larger than a pound of muscle..........but they weight the same.
  • ElizabethRPh
    ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
    I am also 5'2", there seems to be many of us! I just checked the BMI calculator on this site and it tells me where I am and I'm not happy here even though I'm in the health range. I agree with Robin, get where you are happy. I am also 50yrs old and I don't want to look like it. I am in a size 1/2 but before foot surgery 18months ago I was a 0 and I plan to be there again. That's where I feel like I look good and am not too skinny (been there too, icky!). The numbers and calculators on this site are the best I've seen. I would trust them and not listen to whatever source gave you the other info.
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Thanks for all your input, I feel i need to be at the lower end of the scale, but will judge by the fit of my clothes and ofcourse my mirror too.....some of these sites drive you mad lol :laugh:
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    I see you are in the UK as well.

I use the NHS BMI calculator and it does ask for age as it can be used for kids but the age does not make any difference once you are over 18.
This discussion has been closed.