Keep it to yourself :)

Options
If people wouldn't question your motives, whether with good intentions or not, you wouldn't have to defend yourself to others, waste energy explaining your reasons and getting out of focus from what matters the most, which is your goal. Instead, keep it to yourself, work on your success and surprise the world with your achievements when the time is right and you've crossed the finish line.

I used my own words to say what Dr. Wayne Dyer said in one of his speeches.

My point is, even in this very website, where we expect people to have the same goals and ambitions than us, you will find those who will try to put you down or even ignore you when you ask for help. Don't give up, stay strong and keep around those who are willing to help you without questioning you ;)

Replies

• bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I hope that this isn't about a post that I responded to today, because if it is I feel horrible. I don't want people to dislike me, I love this website. If I am the guilty party I'm really sorry. If I'm not, please disregard.
  • Jane1320
    Jane1320 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree, I believe the more you talk about your weight problem the more you feel like you've done something about it, when all you've done is talk. Then when you feel like you;ve got a handle on it and your're starting to work a program and feel confident, maybe have even lost a couple of pounds, the minute I share that with someone, I feel like I've lost my power. I think the key is keeping it to yourself or knowing who is safe to share your journey with.

Jane B:smooched:
  • socialite51
    Options
    You are absolutely right!!::flowerforyou:
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree. People came to this site for encouragement and help not to be put down or criticised.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hope that this isn't about a post that I responded to today, because if it is I feel horrible. I don't want people to dislike me, I love this website. If I am the guilty party I'm really sorry. If I'm not, please disregard.

Not at all Helen, I didn't see any of your posts or response. I always post stuff like this to remind everyone that giving up is not an option, even when the world might seem to be against us. There will always be obstacles and people who will do anything in their power to see us fail, but I like to share what I use for myself as motivation with others here.
    I agree, I believe the more you talk about your weight problem the more you feel like you've done something about it, when all you've done is talk. Then when you feel like you;ve got a handle on it and your're starting to work a program and feel confident, maybe have even lost a couple of pounds, the minute I share that with someone, I feel like I've lost my power. I think the key is keeping it to yourself or knowing who is safe to share your journey with.

Jane B

Exactly, but I think is a matter of mentality due to the education most people get. When you get things how you want them because you b*tch and cry and complain, you're basically being spoiled and don't value what you get because of lack of effort. When you have to work hard to get what you want, that's when you really value what you get. People complain a lot and all they're doing is using their energy trying to make themselves look as victims, and by the end of it they'll be drained and won't have the strength to keep working for what they want. If instead they would use that energy and manifest it as hard work and motivation, their achievements would be beyond beliefs.
    I agree. People came to this site for encouragement and help not to be put down or criticized.

There will always be those who prefer to associate with the ones who are fit and not with those who want to get fit. Is alright, there are plenty of other people who will help the ones wanting to get fit because they want to see them raise and succeed.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    totally agree x
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options

My point is, even in this very website, where we expect people to have the same goals and ambitions than us, you will find those who will try to put you down or even ignore you when you ask for help. Don't give up, stay strong and keep around those who are willing to help you without questioning you ;)

Thanks for your encouraging words! I read a thread recently where the comments were harsh. I thought to myself, geez I don't know that I would ever post a question for fear that someone might respond to me like that. Having said that, most MFP'ers do seem like they genuinely want to help but all it takes is that one negative person to deflate someone's morale.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I will try to follow
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words! I read a thread recently where the comments were harsh. I thought to myself, geez I don't know that I would ever post a question for fear that someone might respond to me like that. Having said that, most MFP'ers do seem like they genuinely want to help but all it takes is that one negative person to deflate someone's morale.

You're welcome :) and yes, unfortunately that's what it takes, one person. I've posted few threads and in some, those who disagree make it look like I'm completely wrong. Why have I taken my time to actually reply to their answers? Because everybody is free to disagree, but not everybody do, and for those who think my posts are helpful, reading a comment from someone who disagrees might actually affect the way they have interpreted the original post, which is why I reply so no one gets discouraged by any disagreement from users here.

What for for some, won't work for others. Just be open and if it doesn't apply to you, move on and ignore it :)
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You are a smart dude!! *Like*
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    That is really beautiful and something we really shoud keep in the front of our thoughts. Thank you.:smile:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't discuss my lifestyle or food with my friends, I know how boring it is from the other side. I also know everyone has an opinion, and I prefer to do what works for me. I also don't use the fact I have no family to support me as an excuse to fail, it is all me.

But this place is safe, and I'm very gratfut that there are people here who are supportive and kind to their internet friends ;-)

GG
  • chantalbennett
    chantalbennett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.. I understand the loss in power that people are talking about when they begin sharing their efforts with others... especially those who don't understand the struggle. I hope you don't mind me posting this in my blog to refer back too :)