Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Nursing Momma Losing Weight

I have 3 kids and my oldest is 3.5 years old. I'm am still nursing my middle daughter (will be 2 in May) a few times a day and exclusively nursing my youngest (born in early December). I've always had issues with OVER supply. Despite tandum nursing, exercising, and cutting calories I still have plenty of milk so at least I don't have to worry about that. I gained about 8lbs before I got pg the first time, another 10 before the second time, and another 30 before the third. I have 28lbs to lose to get back to where I had been for years before I got married.

So I was wondering, are there any other nursing mommas trying to lose some weight on here?

Replies

• Yup! I am still nursing my 14 month old daughter and losing weight just fine....down 30 lbs and I exercise 2, sometimes 3 times a day and keep my calories between 1500-2100. I calorie cycle so I have low days and high days. I've noticed some decrease in supply but that could also be that she nurses only 3 times a day. G'luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308 Member
    Yup. Mom of 6 nursing an 8 month old. I had to wait until something clicked in my head (around Dec.) to really be dedicated to starting to take better care of myself. I am training for a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. Although I am glad that I set a fitness goal, my body is tired from all of the training. So, if I had to do it again. I would set a goal to run a 10 K, and train for that and also do more strength training. Nursing is work for my body, and to be doing the long runs is a lot of work too. But, it will be great when I do it and finish. So.... what I am saying is set a fitness goal that is achievable rather than focusing on a weight loss goal. You will be more focused on doing something rather than losing something. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!!
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    One of my irl friends that I work with is on here and she is nursing. Her username is beckijs. You can find her under my friends list. :)
  • I have a 2 month old and I'm having issues losing weight, and when I exercise there's a big decrease in supply for me, and I'm eating between 1700-2100 a day. Any suggestions?
  • ColeeMae
    ColeeMae Posts: 4
    I have a 2 month old and I'm having issues losing weight, and when I exercise there's a big decrease in supply for me, and I'm eating between 1700-2100 a day. Any suggestions?

Trying to start losing too early can kill your supply. I always wait till I know things are going good (ussually after the 2mo growth sprut) before I start worrying too much about losing or exercising. Also make sure you are adding back the calories you burn while nursing - I had to ask how to do that on MFP. Since I'm tandum nursing I get an extra 800 calories a day off the top then start adding for exercise. If you don't give your body enough it will go into starvation mode (held over from when humans were more dependant on the seasons for food) and just store everything it is getting to try to "survive" causing you to gain weight. Beyond that I'm not going to be much help because I ussually battle the opposite problem. One healthy food you could try is oatmeal - supposed to help boost supply. You can eat it for breakfast or find an oatmeal cookie recipie and have one for a snack a couple times a day.

As a side note, because it sounds like this might be your first BFing baby, the 4mo growth spurt is ussually the worst. When it comes you might be best off to just try maintaining your weight for a couple weeks so you can eat a few more calories a day in the interest of your supply and your sanity. It will probably seem like all you do for a couple weeks is nurse and it can take a toll on your body. If you get enough calories it'll go a lot smoother and should be over faster. It's not like that for everyone, but I know a lot of people who give up on BFing around 4mos because they don't know how long it can take for their body to adjust. If you can get through that you should be good to go. Good luck momma.
  • ColeeMae
    ColeeMae Posts: 4
    Glad to know I'm not alone on this one. I've never really had to worry about my weight before, but I let it get way out of control this time and I'm going to get back to where I should be. The only thing that would stop me is if it started affecting my girls' drink habbits too much. I know I can do this. I'm going to get back in shape this summer if it's the only thing I get done besides playing with my kids.