I'm new

Options
Hi! I'm new here! I wanted to lose weight this year (2011) and had a buddy who was going to be my accountability partner. However, she decided to bail on me, so now I'm going this alone.
I'm 52 yrs old, and am 187lbs as of today. I've dropped 2lbs since the beginning of the week, and joining M.F.P.. I'd love to get to know some of the folks here, as you are all inspirations to me. My goal is to lose 25lbs by the end of August this year. Is that a reasonable goal at 1200 cal a day?

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Your goal seems very reasonable to me, have you plugged it into the tools here? I've learned so much in the 8 weeks I've been actively using MFP and credit it with losing a lot of weight. Here's some of what I've learned. Add me as a friend if you'd like

I need to change permanently how I care for myself, not a temporary diet.

The community here and tools are better than any personal trainer I could imagine, read lots of posts and blogs, ask questions.

Eat clean and you won't be hungry. I had to begin cooking and cut dining out way down to control calories, but I'm worth it and still dine out carefully on special occasions.

Be honest, and accurate in logging food, exercise DAILY (or more often). There's a strong psychological impact from facing the facts on both good and bad days. Sharing a 1 lb loss with cheering friends is a thrill too.

The money I've saved from not dining out has gone for a good heart rate monitor and kitchen scale. I think this is where many folks that get stuck have failed. The money I spent is an investment in the new me and I'm worth it.

More investment in me is a membership to convenient gym. I've changed from a non-exerciser to a daily exerciser. I've made this a top priority and only missed 2 days in 10 weeks. I started very slowly but am now up to a 400 calorie burn, mostly treadmill but now adding some weights. When I reach my goal, I may cut back to 3-4 days per week and switch to more muscle than fat burn, but gym and exercise is now a permanent part of my new life. I think a gym is the best option because the weather is always nice inside and the equipment is better than I could afford.
  • SFH58
    SFH58 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement! The thing that I like about MFP is how easy it is to log foods, and see the nutritional info.. When I lost weight before, I had to log everything in a notebook, and then (most of the time) look up the nutritional info on the internet, then write it back in my food journal. I would always get sidetracked, and not get something done. MFP makes this sooo much easier.
    So, you've lost 30 lbs already? Wow! That is awesome! I will add you as a friend as soon as I post this. One cannot have too many friends, especially when we are all in this big weight loss thing together.