Need some help: Maintaing Low Carb Intake..

Options
I finally realize that carbs are a major role in weight gain.. This was something that i never paid any attention to.. Now im more than ever focused on trying to stay around 135 grams of carbs a day. Considering 4 months ago i would drink that in less than half a day.. Now I'm on track and i'm trying my best to keep it that way.. I'm asking for some help, like to look at what u are eating day in day out. To come up with a better plan of making this work alot better.. I don't want to do the Atkins Diet!!! Any Help would be grateful.. Thanks..

Replies

• WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • botang47
    botang47 Posts: 3
    Options
    Can I ask what made you come to this realization? I've always thought that an overall calorie count is just as effective when losing weight.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    What I do is limit sugars and starches.

Bread can be bad, but I eat Nature's Own sugar free bread, so the carbs are only 11g per slice. I eat LaTortilla low carb wraps which are only 18g carbs each.

I will rarely eat brown rice or whole wheat pasta or a small red-skin potato. I always anticipate being over on my carbs on the days I do.

Most of my carbs come from veggies and fruit. Avoid juice as it doesn't come with a nice fiber slow-down of carb processing.

It really does take being aware of how many carbs are in what and choosing foods that complement each other as far as macros go.

Good luck!
  • LiveLife73
    Options
    @ botang47......What made me come to this realization FOR ME is when i stopped drinking sodas. which have 45g of carbs or higher in a 12oz can of whatever... Calorie counting and EXERCISE has helped me lose the weight i lost thus far.. I just wanna take in less carbs and lower my sugar level...
  • ericzintx
    ericzintx Posts: 32
    Options
    Up your good fats, it will help with carbohydrate craving.

I am eating about 20% carbs, about 45-50% fats, and 30-35% of protein daily and doing resistance training (weight lifting) with limited cardio. (Pretty basic diet for body-building).

Found this site last night and if you can get through the scientist-speak, it basically concludes with real data that a low carb, high fat diet satiates your hunger better, helps you lose less lean muscle better, and is healthier for your cardiovascular system than a high carb, low fat diet:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

Found this one too:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/hifat.html

And this:

http://www.topfatlosstrainer.com/2009/10/30/ryan-reynolds-workout-and-diet-plan-for-ripped-abs/

'Cause I want that physique!
  • ericzintx
    ericzintx Posts: 32
    Options
    BOTANG47: Carbs affect insulin which along with glucagon, attempt to keep your blood glucose (sugar) levels in check. This is important because the quality and quantity of carbs in your diet can affect this mechanism so greatly that it inhibits your body from burning fat (known as adipocyte lipolysis).

The calorie deficit is only a part of the equation.

For example, if you ate at a caloric deficit, but ALL YOU ATE were carbohydrates, not only would your insulin skyrocket each time you ate (which inhibits lipolysis anyway), your mood and overall energy would rise and crash over and over again between each meal as your body tried to maintain a homeostatic blood glucose level.

Sooner or later you would become insulin resistant and you would pack on fat like nobody's business (which is why most obese people ARE obese) They eat crap carbs constantly and now their insulin response is fried.

Here is a good overview of how this works:

http://www.medbio.info/Horn/Time 3-4/homeostasis_2.htm

Hope it helps!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I finally realize that carbs are a major role in weight gain.. This was something that i never paid any attention to.. Now im more than ever focused on trying to stay around 135 grams of carbs a day. Considering 4 months ago i would drink that in less than half a day.. Now I'm on track and i'm trying my best to keep it that way.. I'm asking for some help, like to look at what u are eating day in day out. To come up with a better plan of making this work alot better.. I don't want to do the Atkins Diet!!! Any Help would be grateful.. Thanks..

Hey there. There are alot of us that are Living Low Carb here, I started a support thread that might help if you wanna join us....will post the link here for anyone who wants to add it.

Some of us do Atkins, some other Low Carb plan.....we share recipes, fitness, heartache....whatever
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Support Group here for people Living Low Carb.......any of the LLC groups will do.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/203826-new-living-low-carb-group-anyone-wanna-join