Can't Seem to Eat Recommended Daily Calories

Options
Hello everyone. I am pretty new to this site, but I need some tips. My caloric intake daily should be like 1380, but when I log my intake for the day in my food diary, its always under that, not even at a 1000. I just need some advice on eating healthy and still getting my recommended calories in.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    ma your diay public so we can take a look at what your eating and maybe make some tweaking suggestions.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ma your diay public so we can take a look at what your eating and maybe make some tweaking suggestions.

Ditto
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem at first and added a protein shake on most days, as it's easier sometimes to drink calories than eat them (for me). Kind of doubles as a treat, too. I use 8 oz skim milk + 1 scoop protein powder + 1 C frozen mixed berries. Together, that's around 280 calories.
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cant see your diary but how about adding a protein shake with milk to your diet, that will bring up the calories a bit and they arent too filling
  • AprilTaurus
    Options
    ok I am going to make my diary public so you guys can see. Check out my diary from Thursday, I did not add everything from yesterday.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat one slice of bead with peanut butter on it. Not too heavy and kind of a lot of calories. If you want something even lighter, try peanut butter on celery. Calories in peanut butter add up quick, but it is a healthy food with healthy fats.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    On Thursday here is what i would have done different.

Add a egg to breakfast with a glass of nonfat milk - aprox extra 160 calories

lunch add a nice green salad and low cal dressing - aprox 200 calories for 2 cups lettuce, veggies, and dressing

I would also recommend starting to eat more whole foods. You seem to eat alot of packaged or fast foods.
  • AprilTaurus
    Options
    Yeah, during the work week I don't really cook, but I don't really know what to cook. My lunch break is 30 minutes so I try to have something quick. I couldn't even finish my lunch last night and I was so hungry so I stopped by arbys to grab a market fresh sandwich and I had no idea it had 800 calories and over 2000 g of sodium. I finshed the rest of it today but never again.

Because I was never the person to really think about what I put in my body, this is new to me and I can't tolerate seafood so I maybe need to start planning my meals out more.

I do take healthy snacks to work like fruit and nuts so I am not tempted to get a honey bun out of the vending machine.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of data to go by in your diary, but in general your meals look very small. You can add a few hundred calories by just adding 100 to each meal. Some ideas for more calorie dense foods: Olive oil is 120 calories per tablespoon. Walnuts are about 200 calories per ounce. Almonds and peanuts are up there too. A cup of low fat milk is like 90 calories or so. 1/4 of an avocado is about 80 calories. Bananas, apples, pears, grapes, berries, etc. will help too.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    A really easy thing for me has been to buy a bunch of chicken breasts each week and cook them all at once. I put them in the fridge in microwave safe containers. Then I have the beginning of a lot of lunches or dinners just waiting to be reheated. You can do the same thing with side dishes like brown rice. Throw a salad together while dinner is reheating and you're set!

The Recipes section here has LOTS of good ideas which I have found quite useful. I bookmark them as I find them to try them out later.
  • AprilTaurus
    Options
    I will definitely check out the recipe section. Thank you all for commenting.