Help !! im disgusted with myself !!

Options
im so upset i have dieted for years yo yoing ,for any problem ,stress or emotion i eat ,,i got to the point i was becomming obsessed with food it was controlling my life ,,every decision event was based round food,,,,i joined this site and found hope and was doing so weell until friday nite where a pre booked special event made me lapse sending my calories thru the roof ,,,intention this morning to get on the plan but,,,,,,,,,after getting up with a hangover i made the exuse i,ll get back on it tomorow and have had a binging day thinking o i,ll have that coz im on track tomorow ,,,,,,,,,,,so im gettin on plan tomorow but i have another occasion monday (my birthhday) i feel im losin the control to organise and worrying how am i gona get round these events???

Replies

• darblij
    darblij Posts: 89
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, you've not stuffed up, you've just had a busy weekend...don't let it spoil your dreams, you can do this!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why not now???? Why wait until Monday???

Here is my favorite quote that I love that I would love to share with you..............
    "Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime.” - W.E.B. DuBois
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself!!! WE all have those days... I have been doing so well then last night ate a bunch of chicken wings, had cookies, sugar and cinnoman chips and all the things I shouldn't. Today I was going to do better and for most of the day I did but for dinner went crazy on Chicken and Dumplings - hashbrown casserole and a cupcake!! That may not see alot to you but for me it is.

However - beating myself up for it will not get me anywhere! Accept that there will be times that you fall... that you will not do what you are supposed to. Just keep trying. Even if it means tomorrow you try and fail, and monday you try and fail... keep trying!!!

You are sooooo worth it! Reread what you posted but thinking that a dear friend wrote it - what would you tell her?? I bet you would not be so hard on a friend.
  • TonyTrinch
    Options
    First thing that popped into my mind, don't wait to get back on track tomorrow. I do that to myself all the time. You had enough of a moment of clarity to write that post, so keep moving from that point. Get back on track now. What ever you've been binging on earlier today, throw it all away. Move on from there to what you would have had for dinner tonight a couple of days ago. The date under your pic says you started MFP this month, your ticker says you already lost 7 pounds. You have not undone that in one night and one afternoon. That's just that annoying inner voice telling you it's all over and you washed out again. You didn't. Something in you had enough going on to get up and post here, now listening to that voice and tell the other one to go to hell! You can do it!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath . . . relax, it's going to be okay. Take it easy on yourself, and don't demand perfection right away. You are probably putting way too much pressure on yourself. Tackle one day at a time. If you mess up, just start over. You get as many do overs and you need until your good choices turn into awesome healthy habits.

Big event days are hard to work around, but here is a suggestion that may help. Pick a treat for your birthday. What is it that you want the most? The cake? A special dinner? Pick that thing and plan it into your day to start with. Make the other meals to be good choices. If you are at something like a gathering keep a water bottle in your hands so that you can sip on that while mingling with the people there. Celebrate the people and not the food at the gathering.

You can do this, even if you haven't been successful in the past. There is not a person on here who has not had some bad days and had to jump back onto the proverbial wagon!
  • daveshoneybun
    daveshoneybun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself you can get back on track.We all have a bad time sometimes. Just remember why your doing this. If you need someone to help you stay on track you can add me as a friend.Good Luck and Happy Early Birthday.....
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First of all....YOU can do this. You seem to think you can't and are already coming up with reasons it will be hard. First thing for you to do...is tell yourself why you can lose weight!...i.e...I am alive, can breathe, can make my own decisions, am strong enough! You were created with a multitude of abilities and talents specific to only YOU! I believe you can make it this round...It is literally done by making one small good decision at a time....

It is very easy to justify why we should keep eating this or that ...why not enjoy it right? The more important question is...do we value ourselves enough to NOT eat it? Why do we consider ourselves so unimportant that it doesn't matter how unhealthy we get? Of course on these special events it feels good and we "deserve" to enjoy ourselves. However...don't we deserve even more the chance to live a longer life and be around to experience much more? Tell yourself...I deserve to be healthy!!! Because you do! This is our health we are talking about. God bless you!
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't give up, so its your Birthday, instead of having the BIG piece of cake, half that size and be done. Don't over do it, cause your worth it. I love food also, so instead of over eating I have been training myself to be mindful of what I put in my mouth and think, is this good for my body, is this gonna hurt me. If i want cake, I'm gonna have cake, but a very small piece and then move on. You have to take control. Cause u are beautiful and worth living. and get up and move, walking is your friend, at least 30 mins, if you can't spread it out during the day 15 mins here 15 mins there. Keep going...
  • DeniseH60
    Options
    Log your food tomorrow. Do the best you can. It will help you to feel that you are back in control. Enjoy your birthday and as a gift to yourself get right back on plan on Tuesday. We all have slip-ups, they are a part of life. Happy Birthday!:flowerforyou:
  • Nevertolate1
    Options
    I to struggle with binge eating, I have been working on this alot... one of the best things that had helped and at first thought it would not and thought,,, Yea right,, is to think=== after a binge...man, I must really be in pain inside to eat like that... STOP punishing your self in a shame cycle...... If a child came to you upset crying and wanted to cookie would you say to that child, as you do yourself....,, "things I would say to my self--- no you fat self can't control yourself"... no you would not say that to a child... So stop saying it to yourself. When I first stated to imbrace this,, i.e. stoping the shame cycle and beating my self up. I thought I would lose control and eat/binge all the time... I have not and have not binged as much. Emotionally I am better because I STOP beating myself up.... Hope this makes since- because it was helped me.. also if you are interested look for self help books on getting in touch with your inner child-- it is alot about emotional healing.... I will send a friend request to you,, and can let you know more about above.. if you like,,, because I know the pain involved
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Check out The Beck Diet Solution from the library. She deals with the emotional side of weight loss. It's NOT a diet but helps with any program you're following by dealing with the reasons why we overeat at times.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Don't give up, just get back on track :) Yesterday was my birthday and I ate way to much... went out to eat twice, had cake, went out for drinks! Then I was running late for work this morning and ate some junk food at work, but then went for a walk and am getting back on track with a healthy dinner. Don't beat yourself up about a couple of bad days, just get back on track! Good luck and happy birthday :happy: :happy:
  • swissmardi
    swissmardi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It always helps me to remember that I can start anytime. If I have a binge, then I can begin again right after. I think the good thing that you are doing is reaching out. As far as being disgusted, it was one time... I find that the more I listen to the inner critic (who tells me to eat the stuff in the first place, then bashes me down when I do) is a luxury that I cannot afford. I also find doing something in a direction that's positive always helps me get out of the slump. (Man, does my inner critic REALLY take a go at me then...) You are doing great. Keep on keeping on...
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Why not now???? Why wait until Monday???

Here is my favorite quote that I love that I would love to share with you..............
    "Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime.” - W.E.B. DuBois

Love this quote...thanks for sharing!!
  • Illuminate
    Options
    Hi! I know how you feel. I am an emotional eater at times as well. I joined MFP months ago and just quit before I posted 1 single diary entry. It's ok. Every second is a chance to get back on track. No need to dwell on the past. We are who we choose to be so you should choose to pick yourself up and continue on. Henry Ward Beecher said Men's best successes come after their dissappointments. YOU CAN DO THIS! :smile:
  • mom22nteaching
    mom22nteaching Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Literally. I was out last night and regret it. It is so hard to change a habit.
    Simply get back on the wagon and by tomorrow the sun will rise again.
    Gook Luck
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I know I have a big event planned I map out my food for the day, being realistic, and see how much it might come out to, and then do some pre-emptive exercise. One hour on the elliptical burns nearly 1000 calories for me and once I've done that I don't feel guilty if I had a piece of cake or whatever, because I'm still within my calories for the day. Another thing to try is eating something filling before you go to an event so you're less focused on food and more on the people you are celebrating with. I guarantee they'd rather hear what you have to say than watch what you choose to eat.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Because you made bad choices doesn't mean you ruined it , you get to make new choices! choices that can minimize yesterday's bad ones!in my past i have used my mistakes as excuse to give up and tell myself it was futile. i feel i've got to get this time and bad day can't turn into a bad week. good luck! get moving! maybe shoot for maintaince calories on birthday instead of for loss calories,i did this for mine and it was a way to endulge without getting derailed. if i can help support you, friend me. lastly, i constantly ask myself "How bad do you want it?" to stay on track with the picture of this lifestyle change. So, how bad do YOU want it! :wink:
  • susancelli928
    Options
    Obviously the binging didn't make you feel happy because you are now beating yourself up which will give you another reason to repeat the binge. You ate food okay! Everyone has done it and everyone will continue to do it, you just have to look at your history and realize this is not what you want to do or who you want to be. I have had Resse's cups in my fridge for two weeks now and everytime I get the urge to eat one, I shut the door walk away and think is it worth the torment of beating myself up. Its okay if you falter, but know YOU ARE NIT A FAILURE. Good luck and remember you GOT THIS
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    There are 2 big support groups here for BED/SED/EED (binge/stress/emotional) eating disorders.

The BED support thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186531-support-for-binge-eating-disorder?page=13#posts-2668550

The Food Addicts Anonymous thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184627-food-addicts-anonymous?page=3#posts-2656179

Both are rather small in number of regular posters so you won't get lost in them. I joined the BED thread and keep a watch on the FAA thread (mostly I post at BED). These threads really do help, I haven't binged since the middle of February, you can see by the success on my weight ticker below. I would advise you to just keep posting on either or both threads and it will help you, people have been getting success from BED by posting.

The threads are the *only* thing that has ever helped me. Not OA/FAA, but these threads here on mfp.