Ladies: Exercise and Periods?

Options
Hi lovely ladies,

I was wondering what kind of exercise you do while on your period. Personally, for at least 2 days of my period, I have pretty compromising cramps and low back pain. I know gentle exercise is supposed to help with the pain, but my normal regimen is too much for me on these days - I get fatigued and lightheaded.

I've had ok luck with just going for a walk or doing yoga. Any other ideas?

EDIT: or any ideas for stretches that ease your pain? :)

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I ride a recumbent bike
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire. If that feels like too much, I play my Zumba for Wii game. Other than that I would probably walk, but I rarely get to walk. :-)
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I walk....my cramps are terrible. But, after the first day I am fine.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I get out there and run still. It's a b*tch, but I do it, sometimes caffeined up to help relieve the aches and pains.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do my scheduled workouts- nothing particularly different. I actually add extra walking- it settles my stomach and eases my cramps. If I don't go as far during my p-rod or my speed is off, I don't usually stress about it though.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I ride a sit down bike too. I find that the motion of cycling really relieves my cramps and I suffer bad ones and very heavy periods. I have always thought that exercise would make me feel worse or the cramps stronger but I actually find it helps with the pain. I dont put any pressure on myself during this time I just do whatever exercise I can without feeling worse. It is afterall only a couple of days in the scheme of things so dont worry too much :)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thankfully after 3 pregnancies I have no more craps. I have a couple of days where the bleeding is strong & can't really work out b'c I tend to bleed more then. But the other days i'm fine & just do my normal workouts
  • jebates
    jebates Posts: 1
    Options
    ok, I have had both back pain and earth grounding cramps. I have found that if I push myself that my 7 to 10 day period becomes a 3 or 4 day and the pain is less, NOT gone. Just push yourself the reward is my goal. Good luck.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have really heavy periods. I usually try to do my regular workout but if its to much I take it down a couple notches and ride my bike instead. I had this exact issue this morning.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I do my same routine.. I have really bad cramping also but exercising actually helps them calm down and lightens the flow (sorry tmi)
  • momof26
    momof26 Posts: 83
    Options
    I walk. Helps me when the cramps are bad and it feels like I accomplished something!
  • Heevenlee
    Heevenlee Posts: 35
    Options
    I try and do what I can.Lots of times I have bad leg cramps and just walk or do something light to keep me going with workouts
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I admire all of your resilience. For 2-3 days I just don't exercise. It's too painful and messy. And I'm too old for messy
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have to admit i don't do much the first couple of days. I try not to even leave the house. Mine are so heavy it's too risky and exercise seems to make it heavier but admittedly shorter.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I just do whatever I would do on any other day. Whatever routine I am in that month, I continue with it. Not letting mother nature slow me down, rooooarrrr! :mad:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I push my self to do my usual the first couple days when cramping is heavy. But often I will have the day with nothing, (about my 4th or 5th day) and then I get the sharp pain that will leave me weak, light headed and in tears. I can't do anything when it's like that, I just want to ball up in a fetal position. I have tried and tried to change my diet enough to not have that happen, but it's either perimenopause, or because of having a cervical polyp.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Reading through replies, I see a lot of you deal with heavy periods and cramping and don't even leave because of it. I sub for teacher assistants, so at this time I can just mark myself unavailable during the heavy times, but I'm so stressed about getting a permanent position because of my periods, I need the insurance and can't have it subbing, but being in a classroom all day, theres no way I can go to the restroom every hour, and two hours the first couple three days. It has me extremely stressed out, what do you all do with work?
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    Options
    I have 3 days where it's really really awful, mainly in my lower back. I only used to get a little cramping, but since I had an accident when skiing 2 years ago and hurt my back, it's been about 100 times worse! I do try to still do at least 30mins on the elliptical everyday as usual, but I don't push myself for the distance I usually get done in that time when I'm not in pain :P
  • mlhjjm
    mlhjjm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have terrible periods. For the first day and a half I do absolutely nothing. I can barely get out of bed. I just try to keep drinking lots of fluids. However, when I exercise consistently when I am NOT on my period, I find that my periods are more bearable. It definitely affects different women differently. My sister does the same thing as any day when on hers, however with me that is not possible.
  • fattymcgoo
    Options
    thanks for the tips girls! bike riding is something I'll be sure to try. It makes sense that it would feel good because I noticed by stretching my knees into my chest, my low back pain is relieved a bit :smile: