Underactive thyroid

Options
Is anyone on here who's been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid? and still working out and losing weight? If so, could you let me know your suggestions and fitness tips Thanks:smile:

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bump. Been hypo and on Synthroid since age 11. Curious of responses..
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid tested last year and dr. said it was normal. I having been working out, doing zumba and watching what I eat and can not lose a pound, actually I keep gaining. I read an interesting post about underactive thyroid, which I have all the symptoms. They say to supplement with Iodine and the Womens Health Institute of Texas has an interesting write up on it and sells it cheap. I think I am going to try it along with exercising and hopefully something will help here. Are you on thyroid medication? Synthroid which is for hypothyroidism is suppose to help lose weight so I hear...Well good luck to you!!!
  • dbona13
    dbona13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i have that, after my second child was born my thyroid died, and i instantly gained 40lbs. it took a while to get my levels back in check i am now on synthroid medication, and is doing better. i was trying to lose weight working out and dieting and nothing would come off infact i still gained but slowly instead of quickly. its like swimmimg against the currant. but now since it is now better, everything is back to normal and losing again.
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump. On medication for past 6 yrs. Interested in others response.
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ErinChristine,

Does synthroid help with weight loss???? Some say it does and some say no, just curious, Your skinny so it must.
  • bigtoddzilla
    Options
    I started taking the synthroid in January. I started MFP 3 weeks ago. I've been doing light cardio and of course have changed my eating habits. With the help of the drug and MFP I'm down 15lbs(that was last weeks weigh in) I feel better than I have in years.
  • bienville
    Options
    I've been struggling with underactive thyroid since I gave birth, 22 years ago. I too, feel like I've been swimming upstream. I've been on synthroid and armorthyroid, off and on, trying to figure out which works best for me. I am having luck with the synthroid and have been taking it for the past year. The weight has been a struggle, to say the least. But, I'm not tired all the time anymore and feeling more myself than I have in years. As far as the weight goes, yes, underactive thyroid is a struggle, so are the 40's. I'm going to just try to keep active and healthy, keeping up with the supplements and diligence. I hope this helps.
  • Gberesford
    Options
    I have never had my Thyroid checked but I know there is a family history. I just keep telling everyone that I'm very efficient at burning energy.
    I found that to achieve noticeable weight loss, I had to mix up my exercise 50/50 high impact cardio / strength training, and get a minimum of 6hrs exercise a week.
    I've recently starting eating a lot more raw veg and cut right down meat, dairy and carbs. I haven't stepped on any scales but I tend to use my belt as a guide and it seems to be working well. The hardest part is maintaining the activity level.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thryoid and have finally started to lose weight after struggling for years. It isn't easy, but I have to keep at it or the weight just keeps coming back on and on.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when my son turned 6 months (he is now 11 months).

In one month I've lost 9.4 lbs by eating smaller, balanced meals (protein and complex carbs, healthy fat) 5 - 6 times a day (this keeps the metabolism going strong) and by working out (full body strength training and cardio.)

I'm on thyroid meds, as well.
  • slimdebbiecakes
    Options
    Thanks for responding..I'm supposed to be getting my thyroid tested soon, but i have a huge hunch that I have a underactive thyroid. So will see. I lost 13 lbs, but it seems I hit a plateau, so I'm trying to change up my workout
  • slimdebbiecakes
    Options
    Thanks for responding. What changes did you make to help you lose weight?
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of questions about underactive thyroid in the last couple of days....so I am copying an answer I made on another post. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, long before my weight loss journey. I've been on generic Synthroid since diagnosis. I don't know that I feel a whole lot different on my medicine.....and I have never taken it at a certain time of day or anything like that either.
    The "kick in the seat of my pants" for weight loss was elevated blood sugars. Since I have a family history of adult-onset diabetes, I wanted to avoid that.
    Long story short---you CAN lose weight if you have an underactive thyroid if you are dedicated and truly want to lose weight. You can't use the thyroid issue as an excuse.
    Five years....-70, +20, -10 pounds later, I am living proof. I would like to lose about five-ten pounds more again, but I am truly happy anytime the scale says less than 140. I walk anywhere from 3-5 miles five to six days a week, and more in the summer......and walking is my main form of exercise.
    Kaye
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to hear from the dr. that I had an overactive thyroid. at first I thought yippie! I'm going to lose weight now. anyway, it slows your metabolizism and runs so fast that it makes you tire. struggling to lose weight. Anyway, i assumed that underactive thyroids would have the opposite affect. getting skinny real quick. enlighten me please.