How do I increase proteins without increasing fats?

Options
Okay, here's my problem...I've started cutting fats down (needed to much!) but in the process have cut my protein. I'm hypoglycemic and need the proteins to balance my carbs....how do I add proteins minus the fats? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is high in protein, low in fat. I like Chobani the best.. Super tasty.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Chobani is definitely a good idea. They have the best greek yogurt!
  • nanaBeth55
    Options
    Why yes! I never thought of that!! Thanks! I've tried a couple brands of Greek yogurt but have to mix it with something to eat...I'm a full fat, lots of sugar and fruit kinda yogurt person!!! :tongue:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Low-fat dairy products and lean cuts of meat work quite well.

Legumes also.
  • mscaff
    mscaff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could always supplement with Whey Protein Shakes. There are so many different brands with good taste as well. I even use it to make a breakfast smoothie. Low in fat and carbohydrates.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    egg whites (hard boiled) you can eat them plain, make a low fat deviled egg, make pickled eggs, or cook them like scrambled or omlet.

and to boot they are cheap!!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt; chicken no skin; fish of any kind but esp salmon; eggs; legumes...lots of options....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Some examples of lean protiens: Low fat cottage cheese, chicken breast, tuna, pork chops, protein powder, turkey.

Don't cut it too severely. Make sure you still get at least 20-30% of your calories from good fats like evoo, fish, avocado.
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just checked my food log today - I've taken in 250 grams of protein today and only 29 grams of fat. So the answer is egg whites/egg beaters, yogurt - non-fat greek is the best - chicken breasts or tenderloins, turkey breasts, tuna, protein shakes (whey protein) beans, etc. etc. Today I ran early and lifted in the afternoon and had a protein shake after each, had a protein shake for breakfast with yogurt and an egg white omelet, often add vanilla whey protein to my oatmeal for breakfast as well. Had Tuna and veggies for lunch Boca Burger and chicken tenderloins for dinner. Lots of quality protein very little fat (in fact I add good fats - almonds, fish oil, flax oil, olive oil - to add more to my diet).
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I like humus, cottage cheese, string cheese, turkey lunch meat roll ups (with laughing cow cheese triangle), nuts and peanut or almond butter (remember these are good fats when eaten in moderation), chick peas, beans....that's all I can think about right now.

I'm with you, I'm hypoglycemic too so I try to balance these with a fruit or veggie so I have a good carb to protein ratio.

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Why yes! I never thought of that!! Thanks! I've tried a couple brands of Greek yogurt but have to mix it with something to eat...I'm a full fat, lots of sugar and fruit kinda yogurt person!!! :tongue:

Get the Chobani Peach - it has peach pieces on the bottom, my favorite flavor!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, bison/buffalo meat, ostrich, cod, haddock, sole, halibut, perch, orange roughy, rockfish, pollock, tuna, shrimp, lobster, crab, kidney, navy, great northern, black beans, chickpeas, pinto beans, barley, bulgar wheat, buckwheat groats, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, quinoa, almonds, jerky (watch the sodium, though), flaxseeds, edamame, egg whites; whey protein powder and deli meats (just watch the sodium content) ...
  • isobel2010
    Options
    I really like non-fat cottage cheese - it is high protein. Also hummos.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Shrimp! You can dip them in a little cocktail sauce!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my problem...I've started cutting fats down (needed to much!) but in the process have cut my protein. I'm hypoglycemic and need the proteins to balance my carbs....how do I add proteins minus the fats? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Being hypoglycemic you are better off with eating more fat and having moderate protein and carbs.............Fat stabilizes the insulin so you will remain constant and even with the numbers instead of the roller coaster ride.

Yes, protein can be converted over to glucose as well as carbs so too much protein is not going to even your levels out like fats will.

Please do some reading and research on this.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Turkey is very lean. Then there's tuna (or any kind of fish), tofu (Yuk!) protein powder (Yuk! Yuk!)