Breastfeeding Moms...

Options
I am currently breastfeeding my 6-month old and like to know ..

If I can breastfeed right after a workout(& shower)

If It is hard to lose weight while breastfeeding. I read body tends to hang on to some fat for milk production.

If my current workout scheldule (30 -45min spinning, jillian 30 day shred) is good enough

Does your milk supply suffer when you reduce your calorie intake and workout?

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding-I have noticed my supply decreasing-weight hasn't dropped to quick for me but lost inches w/ jillians workouts, I still breastfeed right after a good workout and the baby doesn't notice any change in taste of milk,-but everyone is different-I think I need to drink more water too-hate water! Hope this helps;-)
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm not currently breastfeeding but i did breast feed my twins.....best weight loss plan i ever heard of! I lost all my weight super fast....but when i quit nursing i didnt change my eating habits so i gained it all back. While you are breastfeeding it is important to make sure you account for the extra calories your body needs....you burn more calories everyday just by producing milk. Keep exercising but i wouldnt stress about decreasing your calorie intake until you decrease the amount of breast milk your child is actually getting from you! Good luck!
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    super impressed with your ab pic for recently giving birth....my babies are 4 and i have a major pooch!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have two babies. One 20 months and one 7 months. I am still breastfeeding the baby. I have lost all of the weight that I put on with both pregnancies. I have been counting calories and trying to lose weight since about a month after she was born (well and before I was pregnant too) so I don't really have anything base a decrease in production on. I do produce enough for her though, so I am happy with how things are going. I would recommend not eating any less than 1700 calories per day (1200 basic baseline plus 500 assumed to burn by breastfeeding). PLUS any calories you burn for working out. So if you burn 200 calories on a jog, then eat no less than 1900 calories for the day. This is how I have been doing it and I have lost (on average...some weeks I lose ZERO, other weeks I lose 3, etc.) 1.5 pounds a week. Drink LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of water. That is the only time I have noticed my production go down...when I wasn't drinking much water. Unfortunately, I have not been doing much exercise...so I am a prime example of the "calories in/calories out" theory. I wish I could make more time to exercise, but I just have other priorities for now. I plan to start working out more soon...but until then I just count calories and make sure to stay within my 1700-1800 NET calories! You can do it! Good luck! :)
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm also breastfeeding my 6 month old so the answers are definitely helping me too! Best of luck to you!
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what sort of workouts do you all do, if you don'tmind me asking? Do you find any workout more effective than other during feeding period.
  • cosmo30
    Options
    bump
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    With my first son(he's 8 now) I did Pilates...Right now I'm just starting to get into working out again so I do a little running, lots of lifting(the baby), and some crunches. I'm searching for the old Pilates DVD tonight, that thing was amazingly hard but worked so well!
  • cosmo30
    Options
    OMG! I was also into pilates(Kathy smith dvd, I suppose). It did help with my core strength and I have no idea why I stopped doing it . Pregnency and baby totally lost my motivation. I think I should start again!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I started working out hard and eating well when my son was 12 months now hes 18 months full time breastfeeding here!
    my supply has never gotten low...as long as shes demanding it you should have it..
    I was running and then shredding with JM!!
    :drinker:
  • cosmo30
    Options
    I started working out hard and eating well when my son was 12 months now hes 18 months full time breastfeeding here!
    my supply has never gotten low...as long as shes demanding it you should have it..

WOW! Is that a abs of a mom?? wow!!! Great job!! Thanks for the info, planing to continue breastfeeding atleast till he is 1yr old.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

WOW! Is that a abs of a mom?? wow!!! Great job!! Thanks for the info, planing to continue breastfeeding atleast till he is 1yr old.
    yea:blushing:
    Its a tough job but the payoff is great! my son looks so healthy and strong...just in case your not, remember to take in more calcium because breastfeeding and working out is tough on bones and joints..I take a gnc calcium chew...:wink:
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am a breast feeding momma to my now 15 month old lil girl. I had tons of issues in the beggining with milk supply ( had it with my twins as well as my other daughter and could not nurse past a couple months ) I was not dieting or exercizing either. I always lose my "baby weight" by my 6 week postpartum visit not sure if it is the breastfeeding, lack of appetite or all the water and cranberry juice I drank but my ob's were always impressed I was still way way over weight though . Now that i am exercizing and eating better my supply is amazing. I started this new way of life for lots of reasons one being, I was hoping my calorie restriction ect would dry me up b/c my daughter just would not wean. Well, we are still going strong. I am a walker and I use my exercize ball. have not gotten into anything to hard b/c I am lazy..lol. I do like the wii fit too!