Gluten-Free Bread <= Crap?

Options
We're giving the gluten-free thing a try for a month. Thus far we've found a pretty tasty cereal. However, the two brands of bread we've tried could be considered culinary torture. Certainly making things similar to their normal counterparts is tough. But does anyone have a suggestion for a non-gag-reflex-inducing bread? We're not planning on baking our own unless this test proves useful.

Replies

• rryll
    rryll Posts: 3
    Options
    I do not know where you live or what brands are available, but my husband is celiac and must eat GF. The brands we have found to be the best are "Out of the Breadbox" and "Udi's" which are local here in Colorado. Everything else we have tried is, as you said, crap. I make hamburger buns for my husband that are about the only bread he will eat anymore but the brands listed above have good GF product. Good luck!
  • schenkt
    schenkt Posts: 1
    Options
    Udi brand breads are decent.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Why are yoy going Flufsn free? There are only benefits if you have a sensitivity to it. The sugar is higher than in normal products so watch out
  • rryll
    rryll Posts: 3
    Options
    PS: If you are looking for GF pasta at all Tinkyada is by far the best!
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot are crap. I like Udi brand, but it needs to be toasted. I also have a bread machine and a GF bread book; some artisan oatmeal breads have come out well. Sorry to say that you will NOT find a GF bread that tastes like the real thing. I've been GF for 5 years and can let you know what brands of certain products I've found that are good.

If you want to try Udi there is a $1 coupon on their website.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why are yoy going Flufsn free? There are only benefits if you have a sensitivity to it. The sugar is higher than in normal products so watch out

Anyone and everyone can benefit from being gluten free, not just people that are sensitive or intolerant to it. Especially now days with all the Genetically modified grains being grown.

I gave up grains pretty much for good because of the sensitivities to grains.
  • Yatashie
    Yatashie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will also go with the Udi's, I eat gluten free all the time and to be honest I usually just avoid bread but Udi's is by far the best, Kinnickin (sp?) tapioca rice bread isn't bad for toasting or grilled cheese though.
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Tinkiyada pasta is pretty good; have you tried FARMO from Italy? It is made from corn and rice and stands up better than tinkiyada in a baked ziti or pasta salad.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Anyone and everyone can benefit from being gluten free, not just people that are sensitive or intolerant to it. Especially now days with all the Genetically modified grains being grown.

I gave up grains pretty much for good because of the sensitivities to grains.

It was on Dr. oz the other day & I tend to believe him
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    my fave bread is from Silver Hills (Squirrilly, Mack Flax, etc)...no flour used... though is made from mashed sprouted whole grains, no refined anything... super delicious and very very good for you... (low glycemic index too) worth having a look if you are concerned about healthier and gluten free is not a medical prerequisite for you.

http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/

(i see on their site they have now introduced a gluten free bread as well)
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll have to hunt down this Udi brand. We live in Connecticut, and we have a fair amount of speciality shops around. So I'm guessing we can find most things. And I'm not adverse to buying food from Amazon or the like.

Not sure who asked, since you're not listed on the list under this here box thing now that there's a list (listingly):
    My fiancée, Lostsunset, has a few symptoms that lead us to think she may have some level of sensitivity to gluten. I'm coming along for the ride 'cause that's the kind of guy I am, though I have no such symptoms. We use very few pre-packaged foods, so I feel confident that any added sugar will not be a concern. Plus, we're active. But thanks for the heads-up. I'm aware the best bet would most likely have her dump her useless doc and find one that gives a damn, but this seems to be next-best.

Yatashi: Yeah, we had the Kinniikinniininiinkiniknnnnkini bread this morning toasted with PB and honey, and it was actually surprisingly tasty. Toasting seems to be the way to go with that.

The other brand of bread we bought was Food For Life. Equally gross. I'll try toasting that one and see if it helps.

mnkarp: We got a box of DeBoles pasta. We'll keep an eye out for those other brands next trip. Thanks!

We're actually formally starting Monday, but we started a couple products yesterday. The crackers we got are nothing like normal crackers, but are actually fairly tasty. Haven't paired them with cheese yet.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    ShellyMacci: Thanks! I have been trying to keep us overall in a low/steady GL deal overall, as she has PCOS symptoms, and it's just plain good for you. I'll check this out.

An aside:
    I'm trying to keep the GI/GL idea alive as a website request. Maybe give a ping over here?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/190409-glycemic-index-gi-and-glycemic-load-gl
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Celiac for 7 plus yrs...
    I normally wrap in lettuce. I use GF Rice Cakes alot..I use corn tortillas when needed (but they are high in calories). I have yet to find a rice tortilla that hold together well enough.
    Udis is good. Against the Grain is great (make great baguette bread and love their bagels and pizza). I have Flax Seed loaf in the freezer of Kinninkinnki that I use when needed (since its 90 cals a slice) . I use Chebe mix (so EASY) to make chewy "biscuits" or bread sticks on special occcassions. I have also used GF waffles for sandwiches..All of my sandwiches are opened faced..again the cals are just to high if I use bread. I used a Rudi's cinnamon loaf in a french toast recipe but it was soaked in butter, cinnamom and all kinds of nasty so of course that was good
    If you havent found LARA bars yet you better..They are AWESOME.

Normally GF foods are not good for you. They are high in sugar and calories. Subbing a GF food item for a non GF item usually is worse. However if you sub a lettuce wrap for any type of bread then its healthier..of course...You really need TIME. Its taken years to get accustomed to GF taste. Someone makes me a GF brownie I dont care if its been burned and dropped on the floor..It still tastes good.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    coronalime: Thanks very much! That actually was one of our next steps. Sandwich wrapped with lettuce in bread's stead. Could be quite tasty. Or just dropping sandwiches all together.

Like I said, we use relatively very few pre-packaged foods. Cereal, bread, and yoghurt are really the biggest. So I think that we'll be OK overall. We don't eat bars or breadsticks. Rarely pasta. Waffles never. Yadda, yadda, yaddda. And of course this handy site will help track our intake. :-) We virtually never (if ever) hit our carb limits for the day, so we shouldn't be too bad off.