Metabolism question

Options
Hi guys,

I have this problem where I sleep too much. I've seen several docs about it and done sleep studies and they can't figure out what's wrong with me. Long story short, somedays I end up sleeping up to sixteen hours.

Of course, on those days, I don't eat as much. There are only so many hours of awake time to eat. On those days I end up eating around 800 calories, but sometimes I eat my full 1200 calories.

On all other days I have a normal day with a sedentary lifestyle throughout the day but I get in 30 minutes of vigorous exercise in the evening, and I average 1200 calories.

However, I'm not really losing weight. How many calories do you think I should eat the days where I sleep a lot? Do you think that has to do with my lack of weight loss? Perhaps my metabolism is really slow?

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    There's a good chance it is. Also 1200 is not the magic number. Some people might be under that. I would recommend getting something like a BodyMediaFit or BodyBugg that tracks your calorie burn throughout the day and you will get a great understanding about how you burn. They're like $100 and require a subscription, but if you can spare the cash and like #s, they're awesome.
  • canadianchickie
    Options
    Hi,
    Funny... I have suffered from the same problem. For years when I was a teenager I thought it was simply b/c I was a teenager and needed extra sleep... just development....
    But through my 20s it did not go away.
    Now in my early 30s I have learned to adapt, and have tried many many different things to make me feel better, and more refreshed.

I am interested to hear if your doctors told you anything that was of help?

For me here is what has helped:
    1. Vitamins B100 or B50 time release, and a GNC women's multivitamin
    2. Udo's Oil - look on their website
    3. A sleep schedule (this is really really hard, but if I get into a routine it is easier- I just get bumped out of it really easy)
    4. Plenty of liquids
    5. Clean eating (the more fast food I eat, simple carbs, sugar, or just plain junk, the more tired I am: like lethargic tired) this is partly why I am motivated to eat better, healthier foods. Complex carbs (whole wheat stuff), lean protiens, veggies, fruit smoothies in the morning, and I have eliminated coffee - wierd - but I didn't do this on purpose, I just phased it out b/c I stopped drinking coffee with fat free french vanilla cream when I quit smoking.... and I actually have MORE energy.
    6. Regular exercise : now that I have been working out 3-5 days a week for a minimum of 40 min a day, I am much more energetic.
    7. A strict nighttime routine that never varies even if I go to bed later sometimes, I stick with a routine ....
    8. A soothing sleep environment: I play relaxing music, have dim lights, a soft fan blowing, and I read a bit of a familiar book (so I don't get super absorbed and interested and stay up all night to finish it!!).
    9. Sometimes I 'meditate'at bedtime.... after I read a bit of an Eckhart Tolle book (he's awesome!!!)
    10. Get busy and functional during the daytime
    11. I HAVE to have at least 8 hours of sleep : Find your number, write down hours slept and how you felt, try it for a while
    12. Mini rests

Do you have anything that helps you? This stuff has helped me, but honestly, it hasn't 'gone away' and I haven't grown out of it. Sometimes when we don't get enough REM sleep we are really tired, or maybe stress etc. makes us take a long time to get to that stage.... I am thinking about trying yoga too....

Some things for consideration:
    -has your thyroid been checked?
    -vitamin levels?
    -how do you deal with stress?
    -have you thought about exercising in the early afternoon? I used to work out in the evenings too b/c I am not a morning person, but now I changed it so that I work out at lunch time - I found it helped alot.
    -are you depressed? have you talked to someone? Do you have a support system?
    -do you drink caffeine at night?
    -are you on any schedule or routine?
    -do you work shift work?
    -do you dream alot? or not at all?
    -do you eat big meals? A lot of carbohydrates at certain meals of the day? or do you eat mini meals which is better for keeping up your energy and metabolism.
    -have you had your insulin checked? are you hypoglycemic?
    -has your iron levels been checked?
    -do you smoke?
    -are you on prescription meds?

On the days that you sleep more, your body needs less calories to function: but it is important that those calories are nutritious and loaded with protein and nutrients like vitamins, iron, etc.

Add me as a friend if you like!
    CC