Insulin Resistance Diet

Options
Anyone here doing the Insulin Resistance Diet? My doctor advised me to do this diet or something similar for my PCOS....

Replies

• devildog525
    Options
    The only thing Ive ever done with insulin resistance is take CLA which increases insulin resistance forcing your body to burn fat, down side is for as much as you have to take to be effective it gets kinda expensive, You you to take about 3-5 GRAMS a day
  • devildog525
    Options
    It does work though
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I should be on a diet like that. Since I have PCOS can you tell me where to get info on that diet.
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    What is CLA?
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    Low carb diet/ketogenic diet will help with your symptoms. I would cut carbs to 50-100g a day, increase your protein and fiber intake. If you can handle going below 50g a day then try that also. Ill friend you so that you can see my diary and the kinds of food that I eat on this kind of diet :) Good luck!
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Yes it is called eating primal, I do not have PCOS but a lot of my primal friends do. Check out marksdailyapple.com
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Low-carb is the only dietary way to control PCOS symptoms. I always had irregular painful periods, and since I have lost weight and managed my carbs my periods are more regular...still painful, but at least they are a lot more manageable than before.

edited to mention that I was also "diagnosed" with PCOS by my doctor since I exhibited several of the many symptoms it elicits.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Forestdancers I will friend you and I can share with you the info I have ...

Tmaksparkle I read Mark's daily apple .... interesting and useful ... I just somehow need to get over my carb addiction ... I tried low carb twice but cracked and ate the carbs LOL! I need some dedication really!

Pinkribbon thank you I will add you !

YEs what is CLA I would like to know also ...
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had a huge success with my PCOS on South Beach (I prefer to call it a way of eating as opposed to a diet). It helped me to have periods on my own and I was lucky enough to be able to conceive my son. :)

ETA: I also want to add that I found it very easy, the beginning chapters of the book a big eye-opener, and didn't feel deprived because there are a variety of great foods. A lot of recipes can be tweaked to be made SB friendly. :)
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Low carb is *not* the only way to control insulin resistance, it's all about which carbs you are consuming.

Not to ***** on Low Carb diets (I myself lost quite a bit of weight using one - and a huge well done to all the ladies losing weight doing them!) but
    1. They are often high in saturated fat (e.g. Atkins, I don't think South Beach is though) - they were well-recommended to diabetics in the early half of the 20th century, and as a result, many diabetics actually died of heartattacks.
    2. Studies carried out with high carb diets actually stunned doctors - they found that blood glucose improved and blood fats came down. And now people with diabetes are often advised to follow a moderately high carb diet.
    3. They're quite hard to stick to, cutting out common staples, and having PCOS means that you do need something you can work with for life.
    4. They're not nutritionally balanced.

Low GI / Low GL controls the amount of sugars your body is consuming. It is not low-carb - it's about the TYPE of carb you eat. I have PCOS, eat carbs daily (with most meals) and have been losing around 1.5-2lbs a week since I switched to Low GI.

I thoroughly recommend "The low GI guide to Managing PCOS", which I own, which explains it all in better detail :) It's written by Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller, and is actually endorsed by Verity, the British Charity for PCOS- the four points I've listed above have been taken from that book in a small section about Low Carb vs GI. It is, medically speaking, one of the best - if not *the* best - way of controlling PCOS.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Many diabetics still eat low carb. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and doing low carb now. As long as I keep my doctor informed of what I am doing then all is well. My diabetes has never been better!
    CLA is Conjugated linoleic acid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid
  • purpleposies
    Options
    Low carb is *not* the only way to control insulin resistance, it's all about which carbs you are consuming.

Not to ***** on Low Carb diets (I myself lost quite a bit of weight using one - and a huge well done to all the ladies losing weight doing them!) but
    1. They are often high in saturated fat (e.g. Atkins, I don't think South Beach is though) - they were well-recommended to diabetics in the early half of the 20th century, and as a result, many diabetics actually died of heartattacks.
    2. Studies carried out with high carb diets actually stunned doctors - they found that blood glucose improved and blood fats came down. And now people with diabetes are often advised to follow a moderately high carb diet.
    3. They're quite hard to stick to, cutting out common staples, and having PCOS means that you do need something you can work with for life.
    4. They're not nutritionally balanced.

Low GI / Low GL controls the amount of sugars your body is consuming. It is not low-carb - it's about the TYPE of carb you eat. I have PCOS, eat carbs daily (with most meals) and have been losing around 1.5-2lbs a week since I switched to Low GI.

I thoroughly recommend "The low GI guide to Managing PCOS", which I own, which explains it all in better detail :) It's written by Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller, and is actually endorsed by Verity, the British Charity for PCOS- the four points I've listed above have been taken from that book in a small section about Low Carb vs GI. It is, medically speaking, one of the best - if not *the* best - way of controlling PCOS.

You are absolutely right about South Beach. SB is not low carb necessarily - it's all about teaching you to eat GOOD carbs and GOOD fats. The first two weeks ARE carb free. This helps to break your cravings for simple sugars (and it actually works - I was super skeptical). Then after that you SLOWLY add back a certain number of carbs per day. It is recommended to go slowly so you can see how your body reacts to each type of carb (they're not all created equal). For example, whole wheat/grain bread might cause someone's weight loss to stall, but WW tortillas or WW pasta works better for you. It's all about what works for YOU specifically, as no two individuals are the same.

Pertaining to insulin resistance, by choosing complex carbohydrates and whole grain carbs (steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal, actual whole wheat flour and NOT "enriched" WW flour), you are eating the grain/carb in it's most complex and closely original form. The stomach will digest this SLOWER than simple carbohydrates and sugars. Because of the slower digestion, the sugars enter your bloodstream more slowly, instead of causing a quick insulin spike as you get with less complex carbohydrates.

ETA: You don't HAVE to start with Phase 1, but you might want to. Vegetables are super important and fruits are good, too. Like I said, I never felt deprived. You have a lot of flexibility.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Pertaining to insulin resistance, by choosing complex carbohydrates and whole grain carbs (steel cut oats instead of instant oatmeal, actual whole wheat flour and NOT "enriched" WW flour), you are eating the grain/carb in it's most complex and closely original form. The stomach will digest this SLOWER than simple carbohydrates and sugars. Because of the slower digestion, the sugars enter your bloodstream more slowly, instead of causing a quick insulin spike as you get with less complex carbohydrates.

This is so true.

I feel the same way as you do about deprivation, about Low-GI eating (I don't really do low GL because I count calories in my low GI foods instead on MFP to avoid over-eating the "good stuff") - it's so wonderful not to feel deprived! Although I do still have my naughty treats once a week - this week it was a creme egg (that I accounted for in my diary!) but with low GI, eating the occasional quick-releasing food isn't too "bad" because overall, your blood sugars are stabilised throughout the day (and I did team it with something a bit lower GI - some seeds!).
  • purpleposies
    Options
    Exactly, Fattack. You can "cheat". I don't like to call it cheating. Honestly, I just feel it's being human. Even Dr. Agatston says that when you sleep and wake up the next day your blood chemistry has "reset", so it's like you have a clean slate. So you have a treat one day, so long as you stick with the way of eating overall you'll be just fine. :)