HCG Drops

Options
My cousin is doing the HCG drop diet and I was wondering if it was actually safe, you're only supposed to do it for 45 days but you can only eat 500 calories a day and you are not recommended to exercise. It supposedly makes you loose "bad fat".

Replies

• frogzrkool
    Options
    Quick "diets" like that have quick results...but then you quickly gain it back too! So much better to just have a whole lifestyle change and do it slowly..rather than starve yourself and gain it back quickly. Its alot easier to keep it off when you go slowly! :-)
  • Oshawott
    Oshawott Posts: 13
    Options
    In my experiences, if you are younger, and try one of these fad diets and it actually works, if you very gradually go back to a normal and HEALTHY diet, you will gain back minimal or no weight at all. I'm 20 years old and three friends of mine did this HCG nonsense and only one gained the weight back because she kept eating tons of junk and fast food.
    It probably just varies from person to person anyway.
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    I was wondering about HCG too....:indifferent:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a segment on HCG. His conclusion is that the shots administered by actual weigh loss doctors who get the real prescription HCG may, and I emphasize MAY work, but is certainly not a healthy route to go. The drops are a waste of money because they are often not even HCG, not to mention you don't have the medical supervision that would be part of the the shots.

I would personally recommend against them in either form because you body needs more than 500 calories a day in vitamins and minerals, not to mention trace nutrients that real food contains. It took a long time to put on weight, and it would be much more healthy to take it off slowly as well.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Would anything safe actually tell you to NOT exercise? Noooooo!! And 500 calories will be tough to maintain. I wouldn't do it! :frown:
  • successthistime49
    Options
    500 calories is just way to low personal trainers and doctors say it is dangerous for the body to go below 1200 calories, and usually when you go on one of this diets and start eating regular again you will gain the weight back. This type of dieting is not healthy and does not help you achieve anything you need to start a new healthy eating plan that you can use for the rest of your life and a body needs exercise.
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did 500 calories per day for five days last February and lost 13 lbs. It wasn't easy but I managed it. I am totally against such a drastically reduced calorie intake but for short periods of time it can boost your weight loss and give you a mental push in the right direction.

My recollections:

http://gofattygo.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/500-cals-per-day-–-day-5-lost-13lbs-in-4-days/

:smile:
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is getting ready to start this same diet tomorrow. I am just not a fan of the quick diets like that, personally I will feel more accomplished doing it the old fashioned way!! :-) Good luck to you all whichever way you are melting off the pounds!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Would anything safe actually tell you to NOT exercise? Noooooo!! And 500 calories will be tough to maintain. I wouldn't do it! :frown:

lmao says the person that takes ephedrine.:laugh:

Ive never tried hcg but I have known several people that have the lost the weight and kept it off for years now.
  • manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    We have friends that have been doing this diet also, and they have lost a lot of weight but i remember her getting sick easier, due to the low amount of food/nutrients they get. They are using the shots, not the drops.

On that diet you also need to be getting your blood work checked at least every week for drastic changes, such as sugar levels.

My husband and I looked into it, but in the end decided we would just do a safe 1200 cal diet, and start using our treadmill. I'm looking into starting the 30 Day Shred as well. Personally I will be happier getting my weight off with hard work than a "magic" solution.