I work at Starbucks... And I need to quit at the omm noms!

Options
Hello MFP people!

Sooo As the subject says I work at the ever calorie ridden Starbucks. I do love it.. but I also know the deep dark calorie tastic secrets that lurk in those Apple Fritters and other pastry delights. Not to mention in the drinks.
I was wondering if anyone out there has some coping advice to avoid said delicious delights. I'm used to stealing a sample of a doughnut here and a sample of a banana loaf there... and then having a petite vanilla bean scone on my break. I'm addicted. It's like a disease... and I don't know how to quit entirely cold turkey.

Anyone have experience with quitting the 'bux or other work environment tasty delight temptations?

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Switch to the slightly healthier versions - like their new "petite" sized baked goods, or a skinny latte (roughly 100 calories!). When I worked in a cafe before, I found that just being around the food all day made me not want to eat it, haha.
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I work at Target and we have Starbucks and Pizza Hut in the store. I just grab the nutrition guides every time I want something and then I'm usually completely turned off by the notion. I do cave once in a while but if i didn't, I don't think I'd last on this plan....

What I have done to help myself is pack my lunch for work and I usually fill out my food tracker the night before so I know if I can or cannot sneak a little extra something in...
    Good luck!
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd say just watch that you aren't eating a bunch of refined grains for the rest of the day, and take it easy on the beverages (which are completely delicious, and I'm having trouble cutting them out, myself). Opt for soy/non-fat/no whip whenever applicable. Maybe take some water with you and drink it whenever possible.
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    Honestly love, I had the same problem when I worked there. I just had to say "NO " to Starbucks pastries cold turkey. No "this isn't so bad", even those freakin petite things are like 200 cals each. If you really, REALLY need a cookie or a scone one day, you can walk to Safeway and buy one, but just make a hard rule around Sbux pastries. It's easier if you avoid them ALL to resist every day.
    Worked for me, it will work for you too!
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Make sure you fill the tank (tummy) before you go to work. Pack a lunch and healthy snacks. Drink plenty of water. Much easier to pass on the junk if you aren't hungry. Realize that if you are going to cave, you will have to do more exercise that day. Some days you will be willing to exercise more to get the omm noms.
  • kmma75
    kmma75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP people!

Sooo As the subject says I work at the ever calorie ridden Starbucks. I do love it.. but I also know the deep dark calorie tastic secrets that lurk in those Apple Fritters and other pastry delights. Not to mention in the drinks.
    I was wondering if anyone out there has some coping advice to avoid said delicious delights. I'm used to stealing a sample of a doughnut here and a sample of a banana loaf there... and then having a petite vanilla bean scone on my break. I'm addicted. It's like a disease... and I don't know how to quit entirely cold turkey.

Anyone have experience with quitting the 'bux or other work environment tasty delight temptations?

Ha ha, I work for Starbucks too! I totally feel your pain. I totally gave up the food in January, then they go and roll out the petites...The apple fritters are to die for. Anyways enough about that. What I have done is whenever I crave anything..I look at the nutritional info and its enough to keep me away. I bring my own lunch now too. The drink department can be tough for those who love the espresso bevs, I am luckily a black coffee girl. Another thing to do is pick one shift a week to treat yourself to something and maybe put an order away that day LOL :happy: