My story so far.

Options
Hello there!

I just started here at myfitnesspal, and--really-- I just started my diet/healthier eating regiment. Here's my deal; I'm not overweight, in fact, I'm pretty thin for the most part.

But ever since I got back from a vacation during which I ate a LOOOOOT without much exercise other than walking (although I did do a lot of it), I've noticed a particularly unwelcome excess amount of jiggle in my stomach, hip, butt, and thigh regions. Normally i wouldn't be stressed about this, I'm generally happy with my body.

BUT, I come from an obese family. I know how easy it is to put on a few pounds that then turns into a few more pounds, and before you know it they won't come back off. I've grown up with lesson after lesson about how important it is to stay healthy.
What I've been trying to do with MFP is work out a low calorie day time meal plan (shakes, bars, lots of veggies), then allow myself to have a more diverse meal for dinner (still low carb, high protein & veggies with lots of nutrition). I also take Once-A-Days and I try to work out at least a little bit every day, with most of the non-cardio-based exercises focused on my abs & thighs.
My diet here is not about weight loss for me, it's about weight management.

Having said that, here's my issue. This is only my first week here, so I haven't expected big results, but I'm a little puzzled by something. I've been ending up eating the 1200 calorie diet (give or take a few hundred every day) that the programed put as my goal. I know that this is a particularly low amount of calories, especially since I'm not looking to loose a lot of weight, I am actually hoping to just loose fat and gain muscle, which I know would be more of a trade off in the weight department. But after the first week my weight hasn't fluctuated in the least. In fact, I've gained almost half an inch around my stomach, even working out and with the cut calories.

I'm hoping this is just a first week, just getting started, gotta eat breakfast more often and stay healthy while my body catches up thing. But I'm actually kind of worried that it might be the new Birth Control pills I started about three weeks ago. I'm afraid that this might be one of those things where I work out and diet and try to keep my weight under control, but the pills keep me at standstill, making things worse little by little. It's probably just me being paranoid, but I know these things happen sometimes, and I'm worried it's happening to me. I just can't figure out how I'm eating far less than I should be, and exercising, but am still gaining weight (and i'm pretty sure it's not yet muscle weight)

I'm not entirely sure what I hope to gain from writing this post, but I wanted to introduce myself and I guess I needed an outlet to tell my story. I can't talk to people i know about my "diet" because they just instinctively go "girl, you don't need to be losing weight!" and chastise me without looking at what I'm actually trying to accomplish and listening to the fact that I'm not aaaactually trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to work at being healthier. Although the one thing I do want to lose is at least a little bit of this jiggle...

Anyway. Hi, again. I'm Cyn. Nice to meet you. I welcome any opinions about my issue, and any ideas about what might help me out. For now, I think breakfast & keeping up my metabolism is a big one, so that's my mission this week.
After that I'm working on boosting my calorie intake back up to healthy levels (i actually haven't been eating too little on purpose, which is weird) and figuring out my future goals!

Nice to meet you and good luck to you on your own mission!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. You have started off GREAT by catching the weight issue before it gets out of control and by starting to incorporate healthy habits like breakfast. It takes your body a bit to adjust to changes so give it a bit more time. It is great that you measured yourself...did you take progress pictures? They really help to motivate down the line.

Other than being patient, my only other advice would be to add some exercise or activity that you enjoy every day (or 5 times a week). Between this, and being honest with tracking EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth will get you results that you want!

Good luck!

oh and the birth control issue...probably NOT affecting your weight loss very much unless you have some hormone irregularities. The additional inch you mentioned is probably due to daily fluctuations; drinking LOTS of water helps counter this.
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your mission to stay healthy :)
    I suggest you look up the side effects of those birth control pills. It's entirely possible they are the cause. You're doctor won't mind if you share your concerns with him/her, so I'd just call and ask if it's a possibility and let him/her know you need advice.

Welcome to the site! I'm new here too... a little over a month now :D It's the first time I've ever joined in on any kind of message board like this. This site has tons of information and the members are very supportive :)
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm new aswell.

Similar to what AggieCass09 said, it is a great advantage for you that you caught the issue before it was too late.

As to you being puzzled, don't worry about it. at all.... Aggie was right saying that it takes your body time to adjust itself to your diet and exercise routine, so i wouldn't worry very much about it.

Although 1200 calorie count is quit a few.... I wouldn't worry about cutting them short. I would actually suggest you meeting that requirment. if not.. stress it over a bit every now and then. You dont want your body going into "Starvation-Mode" which pretty much means that your body will hourde EVERYTHING you eat/drink. not allowing you to burn it off. and thus meaning your workouts wont mean squat!

So yea, don't stress yourself over it (: I wouldnt just go with the flow right now, and give it a few weeks!

Hope my advice helped!
  • Dreamcyn
    Dreamcyn Posts: 12
    Options
    Just updating this (more for my reference than the forums).
    Within the three weeks that I kept up with MFP, I didn't lose a single pound, even with calorie intake between 1100 and 1300 and with exercise. I got sick after that, and just didn't have the energy to keep up with the diet, and I was so frustrated with the lack of results that when I got better I just didn't feel like starting it back up. Within two weeks after that, I'd gone from 109 to 113. This past week I've been working back on my MFP routine and trying to actually go to the gym for at least 30 minutes every other day. I *think* I've lost two pounds, but I don't have a reliable scale (and my last weighing was somewhere else).

As I said, weight loss is not my goal, muscle gain is, but I'm terrified that if the pounds keep going up with no visual difference (i.e. muscle tone) they're just going to keep going up and I won't be able to stop it. This, above all (coming from an almost totally obese family) is what is worrying me so damned much!
    I always feel guilty talking about this, but it's bugging the hell out of me.

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing great!