Recipe for couscous

Options
jdavis193
jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
Hello, Does anyone have a good recipe for couscous that I can use for lunch... If you have the nutrition facts with it. Thanks

Replies

• tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just stir-fry carrots, onion, green peas, mushroom, whatever type of veggie you like, with some soy sauce, then mix it in with the couscous.... maybe add an egg or two also... basically a fried rice with couscous instead of the rice... yum!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    whenever i make couscous, i always use something other than water to cook it in (low sodium broth or v8 juice) to impart more flavor. i recently tried pearl couscous for the 1st time & liked it more than the regular variety.
  • steph5565
    steph5565 Posts: 36
    Options
    I cook my couscous in home-made broth (I can't do MSG so I make my own). Just substitute for the water. Then I mix in tomatoes, sauted onions, red peppers, a little lemon juice and feta cheese. Delicious and will take about 5 minutes!
  • OhItsOn
    OhItsOn Posts: 36
    Options
    I sometimes make a cold cous-cous dish ---- just cous cous with lemon juice, diced (and de-seeded) cucumber, tomato, and onion... throw in some parsely if you want.

I've also made hot dishes with apples or dried cherries or grapes, etc... and some juice &/or curry seasonings.

You just have to play with cous cous --- I prefer it to rice because it's difficult to mess up. smile.

Use vegetable or chicken broth instead of water when cooking for added flavor.

Don't really have any exact recipes, sorry... I just throw stuff together.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Don't cook it!

"Mix 1¼ cups of boiling water (or stock if you desire a richer taste) and ½ teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of couscous in a bowl. Cover with a dish towel or plate to seal in the steam and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork to separate the grains."

Often what i do is let the couscous pre-soak by putting it in a bowl, then adding some cold water to it, rub the grains together until it looks "dry" again, repeat that 4 times, or even more, and then add the boiling water like described above. As a last thing I add some olive oil for flavor and a little bit of salt.

here's a way to do a fairly traditional couscous
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z83jsHJoqGg
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Mexicana Couscous :flowerforyou:

Servings: Makes 6 side-dish servings.
    Prep: 15 mins
    Total: 20 mins

Ingredients
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup frozen peas
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes
    2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
    3/4 cup couscous
    Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)

1. In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in cumin; cook for 30 seconds. Carefully add broth, peas, tomato and cilantro. Bring mixture to boiling; stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Calories 134, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 124 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 4 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 13%, Calcium 1%, Iron 5%.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! Is it better for you than other rice dishes...
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    cous cous is pasta.