eating out

Options
i manage well when i make my own meals but... eating out always feel i am miscalculating and just "give up" those days with frustration

Replies

• Xav8tor
    Xav8tor Posts: 23
    Options
    I only eat out at places that are in the database, so I can always pick out something and know exatly what I am getting. Also, I take my own bottle of fat free salad dressing, in case they don't have any (which is often). I always order the food "dry", no dressing, mayo, whatever (hence bringing my own dresssing)....................I don't know, it works for me.
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    Most fast food places have nutrition facts charts in their establishment.

If not, you can always look online. And even better if its in MFP database.

Similar to what Xav8tor said, order food simple and dry, unless you already know what is in it and even better if you know youll be at , if not, under your calorie pre-set goal
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    you cant mis calculate a salad really, and the dressing you definetly can, but instead of putting it on ur salad, dab ur fork in it and then eat a bite... ull use a tiny bit of salad instead of the whole amount. Also, you could put pepper on ur salad instead of dressing (at home i use garlic powder and pepper and no dressing). or if u like lemon, ask for lemon on the side and squeeze it on.

just cuz its not exactly in the database (from that resturant), doesnt mean from other resturants its not in there, or doesnt mean u cant add each ingredient on its own... i dont like mayo or mustard or anythng like that so its easy for me to order things plain already, but if i get the chicken breast with steamed veggies and a baked potatoe with no butter or sour cream, then i know that a baked potaote is 100cal, a 4oz chicken breast is 110calories, and steamed veggies (depending on type) i can guess at maybe around 50 calories. if the breast is larger then the portions i eat at home i save half of it in leftovers. if the pototoe is larger i dont eat all of it. you can ask for things to not be cooked in oil and ask questions about how its prepared. there are ways to guess without feeling like your lying to ur diary.

also, if i know in the morning im going to be eating out that night, i save calories all day long. i eat full meals but instead of nuts for a snack i might eat a veggie and instead of yougurt i might have a no sugar added fruit cup, or eating only reduced cal stuff; i think u get my drift.
  • beautifuldirtyrichx
    Options
    i agree with the previous posters, and also try to eat lighter earlier in the day if you know you are going to be eating out. don't let that black and white (oh great, i messed up today.. oh well it doesn't matter now today is already ruined) thinking get to you. it got to me and so did 10 lbs. for salads i like to tell the waiter oil and vinegar for dressing, they bring out oil and vinegar but i just use the vinegar. it's 0 cal. hope i helped!
  • shawny519
    shawny519 Posts: 20
    Options
    Applebeest 500 menu or Subway 6" lowfat subs :)
  • Madmumlee
    Madmumlee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wish Pizza Hut did low fat/carb pizzas!!! :D
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    if the restaurant does not have their nutrition info on line, i wont eat there. i used to go out to eat all the time, but i have pretty much stopped. i like restaurants that have a Light and Fit menu or something similar. if they dont, you can count me out. its just not worth the guilt and headache i will feel later if i go out and eat a HUGE meal. :sad:
  • rachel1975f
    rachel1975f Posts: 894
    Options
    I get amazed how much sodium there is in restaurant food. I always go way over when I dine out. I just try to eat lots of fresh veggies and lean protein when I go out, and low fat dressing. Places with a good salad bar are always nice....