hCG diet yay! (: ...or Nay ):

Options
2»

Replies

• idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am in our county weight loss challenge (6 months). In nearly two months I have now lost 30lbs. Our team trainer/coach said she would literally rip us a new one if she heard of anybody doing this diet. The average woman needs 1200 calories just to get through a day. I have also heard from a doctor that they do not recommend this diet. There is a reason that it is not FDA approved. It is not something that I will ever try. I am just shy of six feet tall and 500 calories a day sounds absolutely absurd! It does sound a lot like anorexia...never thought of that until a person on here posted that. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day and there are days that I am starving with that many (especially on days I work out). I wish the best to you and I truly hope they don't find any harmful side effects.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have heard about this diet and experts are calling it a temporary fix.

As for me, it has not been around long enough for me to trust it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

you do know its been around for like 50 years right?
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am still on the fence with this one. Here is a link to a bit on Good Morning America that you may find interesting. It doesn't really say yay or nay but it is an interesting introduction.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/HealthyLiving/video/injecting-hormones-to-lose-weight-13092911
  • yenohamk
    yenohamk Posts: 117
    Options
    I have heard about this diet and experts are calling it a temporary fix.

As for me, it has not been around long enough for me to trust it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

you do know its been around for like 50 years right?

And the FDA has been around for 105. In all of its 50 years, the diet has still not received support from an agency that we rely on to protect our health.

I vote nay. Weight loss has been done without such drastic measures time and again, and it's been done in a manner that still allows you to receive adequate nutrition and energy. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • claudia7777
    claudia7777 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Did I not hear on the news the HCG was bad medicine for the body?
  • jmhigg1020
    jmhigg1020 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here was my understanding of this diet. hCG is the chemical found in urine that gives a positive pregnancy test. This hormone is designed to make sure that a growing fetus gets what it needs to survive. When pregnant women have morning sickness and they aren't getting much nutrition, their bodies burn off what they have stored in their fat cells to give to the baby. For someone who's not pregnant but taking this hormone, it makes the body think that it needs to give up the storage because there are not enough calories going in to support a growing baby, even though there is not one there. I have pretty mixed feelings about it, especially with PCOS and having such a hard time losing weight. I have not done it and don't plan on it, but I certainly don't want to crucify anyone who has tried it and/or wants to try it. There's my two cents for the day! LOL!
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    Nay. but I dont see the point in getting opinions and facts about it at this point. kinda late for that...
  • lisamfick
    lisamfick Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 lbs my first month on MFP without any drops or shots. I say NAY! And the awesome part is that I ate more than 500 cals a day. More like 1200-1400 cals a day. I simply exercised, journaled my food and watch the weight fall off. I'm down 32 lbs since January this year.

i agree, I'm down 35 since 1/1/11 with diet and exerciese. I understand that many have benn successful on this HGC diet but it seems too temporary to me
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    HCG diet is a temporary fix! I've done it a few times, and in my case and actually everyone I know who has done it (quite a few people), have gained back more weight than what they lost after being off of the diet and drops....Good luck, it's a great way to lose weight fast but it don't last!
  • Jackiesexton
    Jackiesexton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off is to change our habits. MFP has helped me keep track of what I've been putting in my body and I'm losing weight, slow and steady. I got as big as I did from the rebound of those crash diets. Lose 20 gain 30. Lose another 20 but gain back 40. Over and over til now. I look at food and I ask myself..."Is this worth it?" Most of the time the answer is no. So I say NAY!!! to the HCG diet. I've seen the success, and the rebound. I want no rebound this time. Good Luck!
  • Jackiesexton
    Jackiesexton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good point!
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    NAY! I did it a few times. Gained it all back and more. Its a temporary fix and not a healthy way to lose weight. If your going to finish it I would start working out as soon as your done. I promise it all comes back even following the after program. good luck.
  • EmmaSeDecidio
    Options
    with all the water and exercises, i barely reach 500 hmmmm, something to think about.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!