Starting Again!

Options
So i first signed up at the start of the year with the age old new years resolution of losing some weight. All went well for the first two weeks, lost over 5kgs so about 11Ibs. But then came the dreaded family holiday away, and breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks etc all being consumed at cafes, restaurants etc due to a severe lack of cooking facilities where we were staying. Despite trying to make better food choices and lots of walking I returned 3kgs heavier than when I left.

This added to the fact that my partner now works 6 nights and 5 days a week... sent me into a bout of depression and of course I'm back to exactly where i started.

The main difference being is, that that in order to see my partner I keep up some pretty strange hours and its normal for me to sleep from about 12pm-4am and then be back up with him again for a few hours. I've always been a night eater, at 10/11pm at night despite what time I have dinner I go looking for food, sandwiches and pasta being my main weekness, and now when he gets home and eats, so do I.

I think the biggest support I will need is with my night time eating. My meals during the day are fairly healthy, especially since I've cut out the cheese and mayo that I love, try to avoid eating carbs after lunch,and am restricting myself to pasta for dinner just one meal a week. But at night I'm HUNGRY!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• Mayorga160
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh casseh.. i know EXACTLY what you mean...

I am a night eater myself.. I sometimes catch myself at around midnight or 1AM making myself a PB&J sandwich -_____-

I think honestly, what is throwing you off is your sleeping patterns.

Your body is kinda saying "Hey, what the heck?!" and makes you hungry at wierd times..

Advice from me is pretty much start off slowly, but get your body used to a "normal" eating cycle. "Breakfast", "Lunch", "Dinner" and have a cut off on when you eat.

Example, I try not to eat past 8PM, seeing as I get home from practice usually around 6-7PM.

Also, dont worry too much about your weight at certain times when you dont excercise, it takes your body a WHILE to start gaining fat weight. What your bugging out about and "seeing" is usually water weight and is no big deal at all.

Like I tell my mother, dont worry about how much you weigh, but rather your measurements and how things fit you over time.

Best of luck, Casseh.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    im often hungrier at night then i am the rest of the day. lately not as much... try small snacks instead of something big. a baked potatoe is 100calories and pretty filling for me. 100cal popcorn bags, or homemade popcorn with bremmel and brown yogurt butter (45cal a tbls), would be about 120cal for the amount i eat. A serving of carrots is a good snack and only 35cal...
    make sure you eat enough the rest of the day.. lots of water to help curve appetite. for some reason tea in evening helps me not eat as much. (dont drink too late unless u wanna wake up all night using bathroom.

sometimes my food throughout rest of day was plenty and i skip nighttime snack, but not often enough for me.
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    I've considered lately trying to eat smaller amounts throughout the day so as to accommodate what I am eating at night... however strangely, with a goal calorie intake of 1450 even without restricting normal meals, and eating at night, I can easily do it without exceeding my calorie amount. My biggest problem is teaching my brain that a healthier option is just as good as a bacon egg cheese and mayo sandwich at 1am.
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    I've considered lately trying to eat smaller amounts throughout the day so as to accommodate what I am eating at night... however strangely, with a goal calorie intake of 1450 even without restricting normal meals, and eating at night, I can easily do it without exceeding my calorie amount. My biggest problem is teaching my brain that a healthier option is just as good as a bacon egg cheese and mayo sandwich at 1am.

Okay this might not help much..but omg.. a bacon egg cheese and mayo sandwich sounds.....amazing...for lack of a better word haha...

But yea, it is hard.. and itll be hard if you do go through with it.. but In the end its a healthier option for you and you will see improvments in not only your weight and feeling but aswell your energy and attitude
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    thanks :) I know it's definitely worth it, I just need the constant reminder and this site is a pretty good one! Unfortunately cooking has become a big outlet for me over the last year and being Italian... well we arent known for being healthy, but hopefully I can teach myself to love healthy cooking too!
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    thanks :) I know it's definitely worth it, I just need the constant reminder and this site is a pretty good one! Unfortunately cooking has become a big outlet for me over the last year and being Italian... well we arent known for being healthy, but hopefully I can teach myself to love healthy cooking too!

You sound like you really want this :) Thats very good and I hope all goes well with your goals! And yea, usually we all need a kick in the rear to keep us going.. I know i do..hahaa
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If u don't go to bed till 4, a 1am sandwich wouldn't be end of world. Look for healthier and lower cal options for what u want, and eventually u will be able to cut it out completly...so u want a bacon egg cheese and mayo sandwich... bacon, 80cal for 2slices..try 1slice broken n half nstead of two, or I heard turkey bacon is good too. Cheese-the thinnest slice u could cut...or half of a light string cheese or sumthin low cal (half of string cheese is 30cal). On a low cal wheat bread, the bread I use is 45cal a slice, just use one piece cut n half. Skip mayo. Use egg whites nstead of whole egg will save u over 50cal per egg. Add together-17cal egg white, 45cal bread, 30cal cheese, 40cal bacon...132calories instead of a few hundred. If u really have to use mayo then use a light mayo, just a couple tsp for around 30cal maybe.
  • v2Fireko
    v2Fireko Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm actually quite a bad afternoon/night eater. Since I have odd sleeping hours anyways, I'm re-arranging my meal times to fit accordingly. Hopefully this will help me maintain control over how much I eat, because at night, I'm a beast. :T Aha. As for the issue of eating healthier, perhaps buy a (healthy) cookbook and commit yourself to cooking a recipe in its given order for one meal a day. :)