Is Wii Fit real exercise?

Options
Davali
Davali Posts: 225 Member
I've got to the stage now that I do need to start doing some exercise but still not sure I can do so publicly! Finally got my Wii Fit out today - but what do you think.... Can any of the activities be classed as true exercise??

Replies

• TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Yes, they can. You're burning calories. Check the database in the exercise section, you'll see there's some Wii Fit activities there. Quite a lot of the aerobic section are based on normal, everyday exercise classes and the Yoga and weight training sections are exactly what they say,
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i used only the wii for the first month until i had the confidence to do more, and i lost, i even use it now sometimes, try adding extra games in like just dance, active workouts, jillian michaels extreme, sooo many fitness games for the wii!
  • RachelHancock
    Options
    I don't think so!

The yoga is good for increasing balance and flexibility, and then you can move on to some real yoga.

The balance games are great for being active generally, playing games with the family rather than watching TV, but they won't increase your fitness with the exception of hula hoop! do advanced 10 minutes each direction every day and you'll get a simple heart and waist workout.

I would start with something fun - get a dancing DVD then when that gets too easy try a plyometric DVD like Jillian Michaels, then when that gets easy move on to a beachbody style programme.

or to start set yourself a sitting down target, like I will only sit down for1-2 hours of my free time each day, the rest of the time you will walk, play games, exercise, clean etc...
  • joann319
    joann319 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that find wii fit ans some of the other things the wii has to be difficult. I believe it is a real workout. It is in the cardio section on MFP, also. I know people who have lost several pounds with it.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    I love my wii fit. I have unlocked the free step and bought a step adjusmtent that makes the balance board 4 inches high. I turn it onto free step and then can change the channel and watch any show while it still keeps pace and track ot time and number of steps. I find that it is a great workout and makes me sweat, especially with the extra few inches added on.
  • rainbow_dawn1990
    Options
    I get quite a burn from the wii fit so I'm guessing it dose oooo its probley my main source for looseing 20 pounds this month I was 268 now i'm 242!
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I think it counts. If you can break a sweat, or feel like your working your muscles, then it counts. It might no be as intense as other forms, but it certainly counts. I do the running and step and boxing, and If I work hard I can break a sweat and feel fatigued when Im done.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Kinect on xbox is a far far better workout, check this out, a low level cardio boxing workout (the harder 15min workouts are far better) and course theres no controller like a wii so you can do all sorts of moves, some require pressups and situps and they will tell you if your backs not up or straight enough and if your too slow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aEwYGv2hEI

Heres the harder workout-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyP8WuFuzOk

It gets faster as you go and slows down a lil at end too

If you can master the dance games they are amazing too, way better then any wii games. There is also a workout mode with a cal counter on this dance central game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWofVY-oWSk&feature=related (dont worry thats on hard mode)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXfUgks50fg&feature=related
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    quite simply: yes

As proof I submit 2 simple items for you to try and evaluate for yourself: boxing (preferably the longer form) and the yoga plank.

You may have to fiddle around with a little bit of everything for awhile to unlock the really taxing exercises, but if you are just starting exercising, that's probably a good idea anyway. As some others have pointed out, anything that elevates your heart rate and keeps it elevated is exercise.
  • victoriawil
    victoriawil Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used my wii fit for a summer (before moved to London and my living room was big enough to use it!) and loved it, loved watching my weight graph go down, and definitely unlocking the longer boxing workout which I would do twice each session was great and could get a really good workout and muscle definition! However, I was unemployed at the time and had 2 hours a day to spend on it...
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It IS exercise. Why not use a HR monitor at the same time to track your energy expenditure...
  • ellsq
    ellsq Posts: 12
    Options
    I count the Wii Fit cardio as exercise in the same way I count a brisk walk - sure it's not working you as hard as if you were at the gym, but it is getting you movement and movement is what counts!

I think it's all about consistency and intensity - if you do it regularly and work hard then you'll see results. And when it gets easier then a step raiser is a good idea to bump up the effort again...

Does anyone have any idea how to count the calories burned if you're using an extra step?
  • Davali
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback - I guess anything is better than the nothing I'm currently doing. Will try out some of your suggestions.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    yup sure is!!

it is how I started my journey before I ventured to the gym. Tho I did find the EA active a little bit better.
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only way you'll know for sure: buy a heart rate monitor, strap it on, press go at the start of your Wii Fit workout, train as hard as you can then press stop at the end. You then know exactly how many calories you burned during the workout. Can be incredibly accurate, especially if you follow the instruction manual and callibrate it accordingly (i.e. stress test for maximum heart rate etc).

I use my HRM all the time to see how I am doing.

Eliminates the guesswork!
  • Davali
    Options
    Off to look into getting one - have also just found out the swim times at the local pool and aim to go check it out tomorrow.