McDonald's meal plan

Options
Seriously, this article is very interesting to me. It's similar to Taco Bell's Drive Thru Diet campaign. And specifically, this campaign by McDonald's seems like a counter ad campaign to the Supersize Me film that came out SEVERAL YEARS go. What do you all think?? http://www.diet-blog.com/11/poll_runner_trains_eating_nothing_but_mcdonalds.php

sorry this message has been edited, I had a brain fart, SUPERSIZE ME was released several years ago... not a few months ago haha

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Umm, supersize me came out in 2004
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is both are engineered scientific experiments of food that millions consume daily. I liked the Supersize me movie where the guy's liver in just 30 days of eating nothing but McDonald's was in worse condition then that of a chronic alcoholic. The only thing that fast food places sell that is relatively healthy is salads and thats only until people put a half cup of salad dressing on them :D.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    They try, But seeing that Subway just passed them for the most stores I bet it is reactionary. Especially in light of a large Shamrock Shake being over 1,000 calories.
    Last time my kids wanted to go to the playland I packed a lunch for myself. I did break down and get a yogurt parfait as a snack
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think its fine. Its not going to make people all of a sudden think eating at mcdonalds is great, but it will show that there are reasonable choices you can make even if you go to fast food places
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Here comes the bandwagon, everyone aboard!

If you read the blog post, you can see a sample menu. He's managed to find some relatively healthy choices there that aren't salads.

Fast food companies are not evil. They are not out to make you fat. They just want your money, and they'll take it however you want to give it to them. You want better choices? Vote with your money, and buy the healthier options. The fruit bags, the salads without dressing, the chicken salad deli, plain bagels (though not too many of those - they may not be deep fried, but they are huge! Split one?).

Oh, and the RMHC is an excellent charity. Good for him.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    supersize me was different.

Supersize me he didnt try and make any healthier choices, and if they asked him if he wanted to supersize the meal, he had to say yes. That was part of the experiment.
    The way I see it is ANYTHING is ok in moderation.
    If i want a quarterpounder one day, it is not awful and will not ruin my health.

If i eat them daily and supersize them and its my regular diet, then thats crap and going to be no good for my health, my figure or the world in general (whole other debate)
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    (julsdaine...wee bit snippy).

cassie, i had a read,the sample menu that they present isnt as bad as i thought it would be, but its not ideal. theres not a lots of veggies (with the exception of the salad stuff) and the other stuff would be a lot of saturated fat.

The diet would be really high in cals too, and this would be fine for the guy doing his marathon training as he will be burning plenty cals that way, but without the heavy excersise i think it would casue weight gain. His breakfast alone is prob more than the daily casl for most on here. lol : )

interesting though...
  • denimandroses
    Options
    While the sample menu showed pretty decent choices considering it's McDonald's, I would consider 30 days of McD's to be pretty UNhealthy. There aren't enough options available to provide all the nutrients a person needs in the the right quantities. His menu shows almost no fruits or vegetables - and no, french fries don't count as a vegetable! LOL - and a "bucket of coke" is nothing more than a bunch of empty calories.

I wonder what supplements he may be taking to compensate.... Anyway, that's my 2 cents! :)
  • Barelmy
    Options
    supersize me was different.

Supersize me he didnt try and make any healthier choices, and if they asked him if he wanted to supersize the meal, he had to say yes. That was part of the experiment.
    The way I see it is ANYTHING is ok in moderation.
    If i want a quarterpounder one day, it is not awful and will not ruin my health.

If i eat them daily and supersize them and its my regular diet, then thats crap and going to be no good for my health, my figure or the world in general (whole other debate)

(not a contradiction, just a thought inspired by the above post) There was that one man who ate two big macs a day, but that was 90% of his solid food intake. He wasn't eating much of anything else at all, and he certainly wasn't getting the soft drinks or the fries.

It's the soft drinks and the milkshakes that will get you, especially in the US. Over here, a large chocolate shake is 530 calories, and that's smaller than US smalls.
  • denimandroses
    Options

Oh, and the RMHC is an excellent charity. Good for him.

Agree....RMHC is an awesome charity! Glad he's using the publicity for something positive to help others. :)
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Oh man how I WISH I could do this! And it is correct, weight loss is completely about calorie control and nothing else. HOWEVER I would hate to know what this type of diet does to an athlete.. diarrhea, constipation, destruction of the immune system, unhealthy hair nails and skin, messing up the metabolism, and overall lack of sufficient nutritents. No way people. NO. WAY.
  • wildon883r
    Options

If you read the blog post, you can see a sample menu. He's managed to find some relatively healthy choices there that aren't salads.

Fast food companies are not evil. They are not out to make you fat. They just want your money, and they'll take it however you want to give it to them. You want better choices? Vote with your money, and buy the healthier options. The fruit bags, the salads without dressing, the chicken salad deli, plain bagels (though not too many of those - they may not be deep fried, but they are huge! Split one?).

Actually fast food companies are only it it for the money They provide fat food for fat people and know these fat people are going to buy these high calorie menu items. I mean come on who needs a freaking triple baconator lol... These foods are perfectly suited and scientifically engineered for fat , carb loving bodies and one of the biggest reasons why the USA is the fattest developed country in the world. We are a lazy nation where most people are too lazy to cook healthy meals instead opting for processed , quick boxed meals. Not having enough time to prepare a healthy meal is pure BS even with a large family.

I'm old enough to remember when all McDonald's sold were regular hamburgers and cheeseburgers and you only had one fries option and it was small. They cost 35 cents for a reg and 45 cents for a cheeseburger Oh my how the world has changed in 20-30 years. Now most kids you see are obese and when i was a kid nobody was. We rarely if ever ate at fast food places growing up and there in lies the problem with todays fat population.
  • Barelmy
    Options

Actually fast food companies are only it it for the money

Please explain to me how that's not exactly what I just said.
  • denimandroses
    Options

I'm old enough to remember when all McDonald's sold were regular hamburgers and cheeseburgers and you only had one fries option and it was small. They cost 35 cents for a reg and 45 cents for a cheeseburger Oh my how the world has changed in 20-30 years. Now most kids you see are obese and when i was a kid nobody was. We rarely if ever ate at fast food places growing up and there in lies the problem with todays fat population.

I remember these days too, wildon. Another factor that comes into play, though, is our activity level has dramatically decreased since then as well. When I was a kid, there were only three TV channels and I had to walk across the room to change those channels or even turn the TV on. We didn't have video games at home that we could play, and nothing worth watching was on TV, so I went out and played kickball or football with the neighbor kids.

Convenience was limited and we moved a lot more simply because we didn't have a choice. :) Makes a difference, but definitely, what and how much one eats is the biggest factor.
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    I believe anything in moderation is fine as well, I'm just still trying to figure out what "in moderation" means for me. Even if these types of ad campaigns are somewhat misleading (eat fast food and still lose weight), I think these advertisements are a good thing because they are responding to the public's need for healthier options. I think the public focus started to change with Jared Fogle, things have increased to improve - EVEN HERE IN EUROPE YOU ARE STARTING TO SEE NUTRIENT INFO AVAILABLE ON NAPKINS... XD and I think things will only continue to improve for society as a whole over the next 10 years.

But regardless, I think these advertisements are ironic because the solution they propose to weight loss (eating fastfood) is typically one of the primary causes of weight gain. I think overall these ads are misleading because the healthy options presented only account for a small fraction of their overall menu. Still, overall, I like the trend these advertisements are forming because I believe the end result is MORE healthy options for society.
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    I have to say something else too. I understand that in the States fastfood is so incredibly popular just because it's so cheap! It's cheaper to eat fastfood than real food. BUT, here in Europe - fastfood is EXTREMELY expensive and yet it is still very popular.

I live in rural France (town population 15000) and the most popular restaurant here is McDonald's. It's the only restuarant open EVERYDAY until 11 PM. Think about it. Most places in this town shut down during lunch and on Sunday and Monday...

Here's how much I paid for a meal at McDonald's in France: €6.65
    What did I order? A McChicken, small fries, and a small drink...
    There is no dollar menu or cheap menu over here. Just an interesting comparison.

Another comparison: Small mcflurry €2.70 (France) $1.85 (USA 6 months ago)
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was a supersizer until I became one. I hardly go there now.Altho their FF are the bomb.Tee hee!!
  • wildon883r
    Options
    I remember these days too, wildon. Another factor that comes into play, though, is our activity level has dramatically decreased since then as well. When I was a kid, there were only three TV channels and I had to walk across the room to change those channels or even turn the TV on. We didn't have video games at home that we could play, and nothing worth watching was on TV, so I went out and played kickball or football with the neighbor kids.

Convenience was limited and we moved a lot more simply because we didn't have a choice. :) Makes a difference, but definitely, what and how much one eats is the biggest factor.

My parents per say were not any more active then todays and they weren't overweight and i think they ate plenty. Heck i know i did as i drank about a gallon of milk a day myself :D. Mom said i had to buy two gallons a day when you kids were growing up. One for you and one for the rest of the family. As a kid we ate plenty and we at often but i think i used to ride my bicycle 10-15 miles a day just doing what we did as kids. We walked everywhere when we weren't on bikes. We played outside always. No computers and we didn't have time to waste watching TV. I want to point out that about the same time places like McDonald's started up-sizing we also saw the explosion of the BUFFET style restaurant. All you can eat is still a big hit in the US. I'll share an interesting fact.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/20-worst-drinks-america-2010
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/worst-drive-thru-shake?slideshow=184612#sharetagsfocus

One shake has the sugar equivalent of 13 baked apple pies lol..

Now fast food chains are trying to act like they are concerned about customer health . If thats the truth then why not take the menu back to the original one. The company would die overnight as people seem to think they need a half pound of beef to consider it a sandwich lol.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I was a supersizer until I became one. I hardly go there now.Altho their FF are the bomb.Tee hee!!

I always thought they put to much salt on the fries,i preferd jack in the box fries. lol
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    (julsdaine...wee bit snippy).

cassie, i had a read,the sample menu that they present isnt as bad as i thought it would be, but its not ideal. theres not a lots of veggies (with the exception of the salad stuff) and the other stuff would be a lot of saturated fat.

The diet would be really high in cals too, and this would be fine for the guy doing his marathon training as he will be burning plenty cals that way, but without the heavy excersise i think it would casue weight gain. His breakfast alone is prob more than the daily casl for most on here. lol : )

interesting though...

No, not snippy, pointing it out in case she meant a different reference.