Elliptical or Treadmill?

Options
I have a treadmill now, but my feet are definitely suffering from it. Would it be a wise decision to purchase an elliptical? Does an elliptical give you better results? I am just looking for some opinions on what is better... Thanks!

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the elliptical more because it is easier on the feet but when I compare calories burned, I burn more on the treadmill for the same amount of time, mainly I think because I raise the grade up. But yeah, the elliptical is definitely kinder on feet!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical, so yes I'd recommend to anyone to get one!

But if your feet are suffering on the treadmill, perhaps the reason is that you need better shoes! Why not visit a place that specializes in running shoes and have them measure and size you into a pair. They'll probably be more expensive than you'd like, but you'll be amazed at the difference- and the motivation they'll give you to want to wear and use them more!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Elliptical works better for me.

Easier on all of my joints

Better burn/time than on the treadmill.

I have both. But I bought my ellipical about a month ago and never looked back. I really do like it better.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I have found better success with running than the elliptical. However the elliptical has gotten me through injuries caused by running so I am not hating on the elliptical. My physical therapist said that running on a treadmill actually changes the mechanics of running so running on a track is actually the best option. So if you can run outside, and elliptical on your off days go for it. Wow, I really did not give you an opinion either way did I, sorry.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    The one that is better is the one that you enjoy doing. If you do not enjoy doing it, then you will get frustrated and bored and quit. Pick a form of exercise that you like and give it your best. Also, it's good to switch off to something different every once in awhile. I like the treadmill better.
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have had a Lot of Neck trouble an my Dr has told me to stay off Treadmill's Elliptical is easier on all joints Treadmill tends to cause a lot of pounding. Plus I feel it helps work more muscles than the basic running on Treadmill :smile:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above. It may be the shoes. I was running in plain old tennishoes for a while and my arches and the blisters were killing me. I got some appropriate running shoes and (53 miles later) haven't had a problem since.
  • markciagne
    Options
    I find the elliptical is the easiest on my joints and burns roughly the same number of calories per mile. Running even short distance gives me horrible shin splints, but I do like the cardiovascular workout from running so I bought a Lifefitness elliptical. Of all the different brands of ellipticals I tried I think Lifefitness stride and movement is the closest to running on land.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I find the elliptical is the easiest on my joints and burns roughly the same number of calories per mile. Running even short distance gives me horrible shin splints, but I do like the cardiovascular workout from running so I bought a Lifefitness elliptical. Of all the different brands of ellipticals I tried I think Lifefitness stride and movement is the closest to running on land.

LifeFitness X30 pro here - I love it. 20 inch stride, excellent ride for the money
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill.
    It doesn't hurt my knees or feet as badly.
    According to the machines, I burn more calories on the elliptical than I do on the treadmill.

eta: I do have a issue though with my toes going numb after 35 minutes or so on the elliptical though.
    I have yet to find a relief from that though.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I use to always use the elliptical, but within the past month and half I've been running on the treadmill. Once I tried to go back to the elliptical, it was so boring! I usually like to switch from high intensity and low intensity so that my workouts are more challenging. I would make sure that before you purchase a new machine that you enjoy the machine.

Like others have mentioned, you could also try going to a running specialty store. They have treadmills and cameras where they can see how you land on your feet when you run. Then they will recommend some shoes that would help reduce the impact when you run/jog/walk. I recently did this and it has allowed me to run longer and faster (I overpronate a bit, therefore they recommended me stability sneakers by Brooks).

Good luck!