any tips

Options
I have been on this journey for just a few months. I attend boot-camp 3 times a week (30mins) and get a great workout. I have also added in walking 3 times (60mins) a week. So I am exercising almost everyday. I am trying my best with my diet. I am very new to cooking and going to the grocery store. I just am looking for some advice on how I should eat to lose more weight. I get happy every time I lose a pound, but then i get on mfp and see people losing 5 lbs a week. I just need some help. Any help would be great. Feel free to go through my food diary and add me, if you would like. thanks so much

Replies

• MelissaGarvey
    Options
    One pound a week is great so congratulations! I work w/a personal trainer and some tips he gave me were to eat 5-6 times a day, small portioned meals. Your biggest meal should be breakfast and you shouldn't eat 2-3 hours before bed. Waking up feeling hungry is a good sign! Also, he recommends trying to eat around the same time every day. Your body works best when on a schedule.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just seeing your ticker "16 lbs lost" and your join date of Feb 2011, I would guess you've been losing about 1-2 lbs a week? That sounds like good, steady, healthy loss to me and I think 2/week is the fastest that MFP will let you set your calorie deficit. When you see people losing 5 lbs a week, they are maybe just starting and losing some water weight at first and then get frustrated when it doesn't continue at that pace. People that are extremely overweight can lose a bit faster, but judging by your avatar photo you don't fall into that category. When I first started losing weight (before joining MFP) I was a good 100 lb over and lost about 5 lb per week until I was down to about 50 lb over... then it slowed down quite a bit.

Just keep doing what you're doing, good luck!
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'll just throw this little ditty in. Don't judge your progress too much against others here. We're all unique and different and your body may or may not respond the same. If you base your progress against those on your friends list, you'll become disheartened and lose motivation. Just set some healthy realistic goals, and go kick some butt!:angry:
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start, so far. Good for you! I've found the slower you take it off, the more likely you are to keep it off. When I get frustrated on the weeks that the scale hasn't moved I always say to myself 'it took a long time to put it on and it's going to take a long time to take it off'. Some tips that have worked for me are drinking the water. They say 8 glasses a day, but I can't seem to get past 6 glasses most days. Also, chew your food to the point it's liquid. You'll be able to digest it better and you'll eat less.

Keep up the great work :0)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The best cooking and grocery store advice I can give that will keep you cooking is something I have started recently. I learned how to cook by watching chefs in restaurants where I worked when I was younger. I literally found it SO hard to cook "normal" food so forever everything I made was restaurant like and had a zillion ingredients. That said, my advice is to stick to recipes with about 5 ingredients (I don't count spices or salt and pepper in this number). Another thing I do is meal plan, choosing recipes for the week with similar ingredients, this allows me to do two things. One, saves a lot of money because I don't end up wasting things I only used for one recipe. And two, you can take a little time on a Sunday afternoon and prep things like onions and peppers, even meat so they're already chopped or cut up when you need them. This SAVES my life on days that I want to just go home and say, "Let's go out!" This can make a 25 minute recipe take only 10-15 minutes on a busy weeknight!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is just fine. 5 pounds is not! Unless they are very overweight, I think 1-2 per week is the recommended amount. I'm only losing 1 pound a week, too and have 16 pounds to go. Good luck!