Zero Calorie Butter Spray...NOT!

Options
Hi Friends. I just read this on the Hungry Girl website and was SHOCKED. If anyone has been drowning their food in the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray like I have---you must read. So...now I need to find some new substitute. :sad: Ideas?

Here's the scoop: 12.5 sprays has 10 calories and 1 gram of fat, 25 sprays (1 teaspoon) has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat, and 37.5 sprays has 30 calories and 3 grams of fat. So, while I wouldn't exactly say the stuff is "loaded" with calories and fat, you are definitely better off spraying it as opposed to pouring it on your veggies and potatoes. If you tend to go overboard with the spray, you may want to try using a light butter spread (similar nutritionals but easier to gauge how much you are actually using and how many calories and fat grams you're taking in). Good luck! And in case you're curious, the entire bottle of ICBINB spray contains around 900 calories and 90 grams of fat. YIKES!

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's still a lot less than regular butter.

I think there should be SOME labeling, however. If it's .01 calories per spray, we should know.
  • deannar417
    deannar417 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used the spray butter when I did WW but found that it does not help. Thanks for the post and your right. Light butter is much better to do that with. Have a great day,.
  • jasonroeser
    jasonroeser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you sure, that doesn't sound accurate. 12 x 0 is still 0, who came up with that statistic. Maybe the I can't believe its not butter company could clarify or confirm that. I use the Parkay one its cheaper, I don't see how that can be. Good looking out though, I use that stuff in lieu of butter/margarine for almost any recipe that calls for it
  • GreenLeafCat
    GreenLeafCat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is correct, 900 calories or so for the whole bottle. and 12.5 for 10 sprays.
    I still use it, but only as a spray.

The rules for food labeling allow them to round down, I think 0-4 calories gets rounded down to 0. Similar things happen for other nutrients.

For instance, cheese that says 0 grams of lactose per serving, will still trigger my lactose intolerance if I eat too much.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's still a lot less than regular butter.

I think there should be SOME labeling, however. If it's .01 calories per spray, we should know.

not really a teaspoon of butter is only about 33 calories and while higher in fat I would much rather have that than some artificial flavored faux-butter with chemicals I can't even pronounce in it.