grab and go dinner suggestions?

Options
Katietriesagain
Katietriesagain Posts: 3 Member
Between tee ball and taekwondo, we have two nights each week where dinner needs to be something light, eaten in the car between practices. I get tired of sandwiches. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    You talking about something you can pack and take with you or drive thru fare?
  • laromeo
    laromeo Posts: 14
    Options
    How about a frittata - you can make ahead and cut into wedges you can wrap in paper and eat with your hands. I make them for breakfast all the time. Saute some turkey or chicken sausage with any veggies you like - put into a round baking dish with egg substitute and bake!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Frittatas are a great idea.

Maybe some homemade or low sodium soup that you could put in a coffee thermos to keep it hot? That might be dangerous if anyone is eating while the car is moving though.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like to make chicken wraps... whole wheat tortilla grilled chicken and some salad. Tastes good cold, plenty of protein and good carbs.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You could try rice or pasta salad if it is hot where you are or soup in a flask if it is cold. Subway if you feel like a change or just for inspiration with new sandwich ideas.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pita pocket - stuff with greens ,walnuts, apple chunks and 3oz chicken. I dice my chicken because it fills the pita better and makes you feel like you ate more :)
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Boiled eggs. My kids enjoy them and so do I.

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    you can do breakfast tacos for dinner...egg beaters, turkey sausage, fat free cheese and wrap in tortillas then wrap those in aluminum foil...make it easy to eat.

Or how about meat/cheese kabobs and fruit kabobs. Take your ham or turkey (get it thick cut at the deli), cube it, and alternate with sharp cheddar cheese (and if they like tomatoes, add some cherry tomatoes, or even cucumbers). then you can do fruit ones with apples, strawberries, grapes, etc....fun for the kids to eat and easy to make ahead! Just make sure nobody pokes themselves! :)
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That would be good for a picnic lunch
  • Katietriesagain
    Katietriesagain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, great ideas! I am hoping we can avoid the drive through this week.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas!