Anyone take Neurontin and Losing Weight?

Options
Hi everyone,
I am on Neurontin since 12/10 and I've gained 14lbs so my Dr told me the other day it does make you gain weight, but now Im worried if I am taking it everyday....will I ever lose enough weight?

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do you know what's causing the weight gain? Is there something in the medication that causes fluid retention? If that's the case, then don't count it as real weight gain. You may have to use other factors to determine actual weight loss.

It may also be temporary while the body adjusts.
  • LuvLeigh42
    LuvLeigh42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No I don't know at all what actually causes the weight gain but I will ask my dr when i c her next month...i might even get her to wean me off of it tho. thanks for ur advice:flowerforyou:
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    Some neurological drugs can have a very real and debilitating effect on your metabolism--when I was on Depakote, my doctor told me I was going to gain up to 50 lbs. Which I did. They finally switched me to another drug and I'm slowly losing the weight.

My husband was on Neurontin for about 2 weeks and had to stop taking it because it made him so sleepy and sluggish. I'm sure he would have started gaining weight if he'd stayed on it longer.

Of course not knowing what you're taking it for (Neurontin is prescribed for a vast number of conditions) can't offer much more. (I take it for a seizure disorder, so my advice is pretty narrow--my husband has taken it for depression and again for migraines, fail both times.)For lots of things that Neurontin is used for, Topamax is a reasonable alternate, and it can actually cause weight loss (one of the only neuro drugs that can). Unfortunately, it can also make you kind of stupid, which is why I had to stop taking it (I need all the brain cells I can get!). I take Lamictal, and it's really weight neutral and doesn't make me dumb, but it may not be indicated for your condition. I really recommend this site . . . the guy's writing is kind of irreverant and goofy (and uses lots of swear words . . .), but he's really knowledgable about a wide range of meds.

http://www.crazymeds.us/

Hope this is useful!
  • LuvLeigh42
    LuvLeigh42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some neurological drugs can have a very real and debilitating effect on your metabolism--when I was on Depakote, my doctor told me I was going to gain up to 50 lbs. Which I did. They finally switched me to another drug and I'm slowly losing the weight.

My husband was on Neurontin for about 2 weeks and had to stop taking it because it made him so sleepy and sluggish. I'm sure he would have started gaining weight if he'd stayed on it longer.

Of course not knowing what you're taking it for (Neurontin is prescribed for a vast number of conditions) can't offer much more. (I take it for a seizure disorder, so my advice is pretty narrow--my husband has taken it for depression and again for migraines, fail both times.)For lots of things that Neurontin is used for, Topamax is a reasonable alternate, and it can actually cause weight loss (one of the only neuro drugs that can). Unfortunately, it can also make you kind of stupid, which is why I had to stop taking it (I need all the brain cells I can get!). I take Lamictal, and it's really weight neutral and doesn't make me dumb, but it may not be indicated for your condition. I really recommend this site . . . the guy's writing is kind of irreverant and goofy (and uses lots of swear words . . .), but he's really knowledgable about a wide range of meds.

http://www.crazymeds.us/

Hope this is useful!

Thanks so much...this is very helpful and btw i do take Lamictal and it does work good for me..i will check out this site... thanks again