Feeling like I'm in a slump and could use some advice...

Options
So, about 3 years I had lost about 15lbs by counting my calories (in an excel spreadsheet, waaaay before MFP).... I was 28 years old, had a 2 1/2 year old at the time and didn't exercise at all (other than running around after said 2 1/2 year old).

Fast forward to now. I'm at a bout 10 lbs heavier than then after my second baby (she is 14 months old). I am exercising about 3-4 days a week now and my net cslorie goal (yes I eat my exercise calories) is lower than the last time i did this counting thing.

When I was on my own I was eating between 1200-1400 calories a day (I actually made sure I was under for the total week instead of day by day, so if I wanted ice cream one day I just made up for it later in the week). I managed to lose a consistent pound a week on my excel sheet.

I started MFP at 157 (I'm 5'4") on 2/14/11, added sedentary to my activity level, and that I wanted to lose a pound a week, and I had lost about 4lbs. Yet last weigh in I had gained a few ounces (after what I had considered a good week of diet and exercise) and against my better judgement I stepped on the scale yesterday and today (I know you should only weigh yourself once a week, but I couldn't help it) and both days I was weighing in 2 POUNDS HEAVIER than last week!!!!

MFP recommended I net 1250 for calories and I am usually under that (sometime under 1200 if it is a workout day). Am I entering starvation mode? I'm finding it hard to believe since my body has plenty of place to look for the fat for its fuel- namely my butt and thighs :o)

So today I decided to move my general activity level to lightly active. My paying job is somewhat sedentary, though I am on my feet alot in my office. But its on the bottom floor and I have to use the stairs (no elevator) to get up to the other offices, printers, copiers, fax machine, etc. I also have that non-paying job that consists of running around after two kids (mostly lifting my daughter who is 24lbs), housework, cooking, and anything else that I can get down after the kids go to bed.

I guess I'm just frustrated that it seemed so easy before to take off the pounds and I wasn't busting my butt with Jillian or the Kettlebells, and this time it seems a bit harder. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially the changes I made in my activity level ( and therefore calorie requirements).

Thanks in advance, these forums are always so helpful!

Replies

• lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    I noticed after having my 2nd child it was harder to drop the weight. But don't become discouraged. The scale fluctuation from day to day isn't something you should worry too much about especially since you're a female. T.O.M. and/or water gain makes our weight fluctuate a lot from day to day. Just remember to weigh yourself once a week and at around the same time every week. As long as you are staying above your 1200 calories you should be good. Consistently being under your 1200 calories can and will put your body in starvation mode so make sure you are at or above the 1200 mark. The weight is never easy coming off, otherwise everyone in the world would be skinny! You'll get there especially chasing around 2 little ones and working a full time job. Good luck and don't become discouraged!! We're all here to help support you and help you thru the weight loss process.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I think that the difference is that you just had a second child. That in itself makes things more challenging. Another thing is once a woman hits the age of thirty womens metabolism slows down which makes it harder for us to lose and we begin to hold on the pounds that we're taking in. I'll never forget my sister telling me that once I hit 30 I was going to get fat and boy do I tell you she was right! Within 2mths I had gain 15lbs and I wasn't even eating differently. Our bodies aren't like they were when we were 18yrs old and we have to work muuch harder. We have to do lots of cardio: running, walking fast pace, etc. Also, there's even things that we take in that we don't even realize that add weight like, pop, coffee w/sugar & creams, starches, and pita bread, to name a few. We are all going through the same thing and we are here for you. Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Are you nursing or pumping currently? If so, your calorie needs are certain to be higher than 1250. Not to mention that it can take a woman’s body two full years to recover the nutrients and rebalance after pregnancy. So weight-loss efforts during that time will be different. Some women find it easier, others find it much harder.

Also, remember that 1250 calories does not give you much wiggle room for going under. As I scroll through your diary there are many days where your total calories is less than 800. This will send your metabolism straight into a stall pattern, because you are not teaching your body that it can rely on you to have access to food. You’re regularly sending signals to your body that food is scarce and that it must conserve fuel for movement (i.e. extra exercise). Unfortunately, rather than using fat to fuel that movement, your body is most likely using muscle tissue for energy. And this in turn will only slow your metabolism even more.

If you think about the way you lost weight before, you were not exercising and you consumed between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. That means that you maintained a calorie deficit and were eating more than you are eating right now. Now you have added in exercise, which only increases your daily calorie deficit. That means your net calories consumed will be less than 1200 every day, unless you are eating back most or all of the calories burned through exercise.

I know that for many people eating more is counterintuitive. But, there is lots of evidence to support the importance of feeding your body—both in quantity (calories) and in quality (proper nutrients)—in order to lose weight.
  • dfleno
    dfleno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm feeling better today with fresher eyes.

@callipygianchronic I am not nursing anymore, haven't been for 6 months. I DO eat most of my exercise calories. I changed my diary headers a week or so ago and it erased some of my entries, so though you are right I have been under 1200 a lot, it hasn't been as bad as what the diary looks like :o)

i agree with you that I should up my calories a bit. I LIKE the boost I get from that message that I was under my calorie goal, but at 1250 that send me very close to starvation mode, and I don't want this Free-Loading Fat hanging on to my butt anymore!

I just used this site http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php and calculated an estimate of what i do in a normal day, not including any other intended exercise and my calorie burn was 3,362 calories in a 24 hour period! Even giving wiggle room at 3,000 calories for days I may do less at work or home, and calculating a maximum deficit of 20%, that's on average 1400 calories I should be netting.

So i changed my lifestyle to lightly active and it gave me a goal of 1390. I'm going to try this for a couple of weeks and see where it gets me. I may increase it or decrease it, but I feel better about where I am going now.