Feel like I'm struggling....

Options
I've only joined a little over a month ago and I started out all gung ho. Lost 8 pounds right away then stopped. Lately even when I do the right things and don't over eat and work out it doesn't seem to matter. It's leading me to feel very depressed and want to give up. If doing things right doesn't work why bother?? Also...stresses in life are really setting in. Today is my day off and all I want to do is stay home and watch tv and eat!!! I know I just need an attitude adjustment, but I haven't been able to get one. Anyone have any ideas???

Replies

• brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Well if you get a walk or a workout in today you will feel so much better than if you just sit around eating, and you'll love yourself for it tomorrow. Just take it one day at a time and DON'T GIVE UP!! Hope your day starts to look up and the weight starts coming off again!! God Bless You!! :)
  • andrwsmth
    Options
    8 lbs is significant. You shouldn't beat yourself up so much. Some days you won't lose anything, some weeks even. It needs to be more about your overall health and longevity than what the scale reads each day. I definitely suggest cutting down sugar, and bad fats. Adding tons of whole grains and super foods like brown rice, lentils, quinoa, and split peas etc. These foods are super high in protein and fiber and low in calories. Also, the less dairy and red meat the better! Good luck, and you can do it! My fiancee and I have lost 70 lbs each roughly. Vegetarianism has helped a lot too. :D
  • kerri62
    kerri62 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am there with you! Can you tell in your clothes that you are losing? I am too caught up in the number on the scales. I need to pick up my water drinking again I was doing well with that too. Life stressors DO get in the way, but we need to be thankful that we are healthy, and go forward. Hang in there. You will get the support you need on here!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It is realy hard - you gotta push through it and it WILL come off. I work out so I can EAT. I lecture myself every morning to get myself motivated and moving. You have to want it - REALLY want it! Good luck!
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh how I can relate!!! I am on the same path as you. Honestly, I just stick things in my mouth without even thinking about it...if I did I would definitely not eat poorly. This is sooo a mind over matter journey and my mind is not in the right place lately. So, when you said you needed an attitude adjustment...I do too:) I have all the tools, knowledge, and food to do this...I just need to do it. If you figure anything out, let me know! Good luck:smile:
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    it might be the type of exercise? I would try high intensity twice a day, so you only workout for 20 minutes but its high intensity so your heart rate is going super fast.

As well as maybe add a lot more veggies, veggies have important vitamins and minerals that help metabolism go fast!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. There are others just like you... I am one of them. We need to use each other to get thru the really hard days. There will be better days, stronger days. Don't give up just yet.
  • lwells611
    lwells611 Posts: 13
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I know how you feel. I also joined in Feb. I've only lost 2# ! So you can imagine how disapointed I feel. BUT, I do see a change in how my clothes fit me & my stamina has improved a lot. I don't want to give up on me yet. I also take meds that can affect my weight. I know I'm doing the right things. Don't quit. You'll beat yourself up if you do. We are all here for you. Lydia
  • rhawkins26
    Options
    Everyone has periods like this. It may help to change your perspective about why you are dieting. If you can think about honoring your body, caring for it with good, nutritious food, respecting its need to be at its best to support you physically and allow you to enjoy life more fully, it may help. I really like the way Geneen Roth presents the issue in "Women, Food, and God". We wouldn't expect another person to respond if we belittle them, yelled at them, and fed them garbage. Your body is a gift and a partner .

All of which is easier said than done, but it really helps to keep re-framing your inner conversation.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There is a site I go onto everyday. it is called my daily challenge by me you health. It gives you something to do everyday to help change your lifestyle to be healthier and fun and loving life. I personally love it because it makes me feel better about myself. One of the challenges was simply write 5 things you love doing that is an activity and personally make it your goal to do it at least once a week. One of mine was dancing and I do it when I am stressed our need a break from life, which is almost everyday but you get what I mean. If getting your nails done or cleaning, or simply go window shopping, do what you love and life will feel better and you wont think about food.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Since I wrote my original post I went for a 45 minute walk with my sister, my girlfriend and all of our dogs. It really helped me feel better. Then I came home and read everyone's wonderful posts!! I really appreciate all the support everyone shows on here and I hope to give that support back as well. I'm sure I'l need help again...but for today I DID get my attitude adjusted!!! THANKS!!!!!